I can improvise fairly well with the pentatonic minor scale but now i want to learn how to play like david gilmour. Im wondering if you huys can recomend me some scales that gilmour uses in his songs as well as some techniques that give him his distinctive sound.

Thanks, Guerilla Radio
Free Mumia
Pinch harmonics are a needed, and noiseless strat pickups help too.
first thing that springs to mind is: strat, neck pickup... pentatonic minor with major 2nd thrown in
i dont know really if he ueses scales all that much

but he is great at bending and using the tremelo arm

just get a feel for the music and see where it takes you
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
Quote by X&Y
Pinch harmonics are a needed, and noiseless strat pickups help too.

lol

you know there are things outside the wall, right??
Gear:
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

Quote by enemy120

Everyone uses scales.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by enemy120

but he is great at bending and using the tremelo arm

just get a feel for the music and see where it takes you

doesn't everybody use scales? if he didn't use scales if wouldn't sound correct.
Free Mumia
there is a difference between using scales and just playing and knowing what sounds good

if your good you can just play and not know what scale your in
Gear:
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

generally he uses pentatonic scales ... just play along with some recordings, learning to accurately play his solos is the best way to get a feel for his style.
Quote by enemy120
there is a difference between using scales and just playing and knowing what sounds good

so are you saying you're not good if you "know what scale your in". (FYI: it's you're.)
he uses lots of compression for that amazing sound his solos make. Try rotary reverb for arpeggiated rhythm parts ie. Shine on You crazy Diamond
Try using the neck pickup - as far as I'm aware, he used it a lot for the 'fat' sound of his solos and my poor imitations certainly sound less poor in this position. Also, it would help if you could obtain yourself a Richard Wright. They're a rare and not oft-sighted species, but Gilmour-esque solos sound a lot more Gilmour-esque with this vital ingredient to the Pink Floyd sound.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Quote by enemy120

Just because he doesn't know which scale he is using doesn't mean he doesn't use scales. Jimi Hendrix was self taught and never learnt and scales and would just know what sounded "right". However they are still using scales whether they know it or not. So back to my question, are there and scales or tecniques that i should learn of practice to sound more like gilmour?
Free Mumia
lol pink floyd sound... If you wanna hear a group that sound like floyd, pink floyd woul be a great band to listen to.

seriosly though.
don't think in mixolodian scale or aoelian or super-gypsy-rectum-pirate-mixo scale, think of it as a larg group of notes on the fretboard but you more or less, following the chords with the notes near your fingers(the way you play your notes has more influence than the notes you play) and study gilmor's phrasing. that will help you soloing amazingly, it really helped me break out of playing in silly named boxes.
but most importantly, don't try to sound like gilmor, try to sound like you, there's enough floyd rip-off's in the world already
if you really enjoy him, a little of his sound will eventually come out in your playing.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
I definatly notice lots of pentatonic minor phrasings in his solos that I've learned. Learning his solos would be your best bet to get the feel of his style.
minor pentatonic scale, big muff on the solos. give your solos room to breathe, you don't need to be playing crazy fast if you find the notes that fit.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}