Ok, I get all the stuff about modes and everything, but what I don't get is what's the difference if someone's soloing in C Major or E Phrygian or A Minor? They all use the same notes

Again, sorry if i seem noobish
Curses...i have nothing of interest to write in this here place.
its all about the resolution, if you solo in C major you're going to resolve to C, if you're soloing in A minor then you're going to resolve to A.
im not 100% sure put it may have to do with how its used with whatever key the song is in.
Also playing over a certain chord, using different modes creates a different "feel"

for example, you could use A phrygian over an Am7 chord or you could use C major giving 2 different sounds. Please correct me if i'm wrong.
Quote by GunsN'tallica
Ok, I get all the stuff about modes and everything, but what I don't get is what's the difference if someone's soloing in C Major or E Phrygian or A Minor? They all use the same notes

Again, sorry if i seem noobish

Same notes.... different scales.... different scale formulas..... different sound.

Also keep in mind, that if your progression is a C major progression and you use E phrygian ( or think you are)..... you are really just playing C major.

If your progression had a tonal center of E.... but you used the key signature for C (no sharps or flats)..... then it will sound as E phrygian.

Basically you need to spend more time studying the Major and minor system before modes will make sense to you. There is more to it then "they have the same notes".
shred is gaudy music
Quote by jdmarsh2005
Also playing over a certain chord, using different modes creates a different "feel"

for example, you could use A phrygian over an Am7 chord or you could use C major giving 2 different sounds. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

this is true, however if you started playing "C major" over an Am7 you wouldn't really call it C major. you would consider it A minor starting at the 3rd degree. again, its all about the harmonic context.
I'm sure i use or understand it to an extent, but what exactly does it mean when you say it "resolves" to a key? i know how to use the modes differently, im looking for a more literal definition or something like that

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
the resolution of a scale is the root. in an e phrygian scale, the root is an e. if you were to play efgabcde, it would be an E phrygian. generally, the chord progression under a scale determines the root.

ex:
CM-am-G7 CM
if you played efgabcde here, its a C major scale because the progression resolves on a C.

em-FM-dm-CM-em
efgabcde here would be E phrygian, because the progression resolves on e.

as you hear more progressions, the resolution note will become easier to pick out. like all ear training, it just takes some time to get it right.
Quote by chipmunksurfer
I'm sure i use or understand it to an extent, but what exactly does it mean when you say it "resolves" to a key? i know how to use the modes differently, im looking for a more literal definition or something like that

There isn't really a "different" way to use modes, they're a fairly rigid musical system modes are largely dependent on there being a fixed tonal centre in the form of a static bass line or chord, or perhaps 2 alternating chords. Once you get into complex progressions of 3 or more chords you end up creating an overall tonal centre that everything wants to resolve to and modes simply don't factor into it - the major scale is far more applicable at this point. If you don't know that then you don't know modes yet.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
if it resolves to a key.. is that kind of like the overall key of the song? i can never word my questions correctly if i sound extremely noob as well

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.