Anyone play french horn? i've been learning over the summer and i have some questions.
What does the Bb key do and when should you use it?
if anyone has any tips that would be great
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
my sister said to use it when the music's in the key of B-flat and she asked if you're stupid

she said if you play guitar, you should know that. she doesn't play guitar though, so i don't know how she can make such an assumption.
What a Puff
Quote by Skwisgar
The trip would reach its climax when you came across a character filling a pool via fapping and attempting to drown innocent people in it

Quote by Diet_coke_head
I ran up and started screaming rape because I knew she would never cheat on me.
what does the Bb key do?

um it makes music

and slays your soul!!!!!!
Peace , Love , Death Metal

Quote by Super_Duper_Guy
It probably started at $55 but then he thought "You know what? F&*$ them. 1 dollar extra. pwned noobs."
That bastard...
Yeah French horn!
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
try playing a B and then pushing the B-flat key and let us know the results
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Hey this isn't as retarded as you guys think. If I understand you right, the french horn is like a trumpet (wich I used to play) and when you play for example a C on your horn it is probably the B flat on a guitar or piano. (or if it's the other way around)
Don't know why they complicate things like this, whenever you make a note on your french horn, it is 2 halfsteps lower (or higher) than normal tuning wich guitars and pianos are in.
Quote by MrTin
Hey this isn't as retarded as you guys think. If I understand you right, the french horn is like a trumpet (wich I used to play) and when you play for example a C on your horn it is probably the B flat on a guitar or piano. (or if it's the other way around)
Don't know why they complicate things like this, whenever you make a note on your french horn, it is 2 halfsteps lower (or higher) than normal tuning wich guitars and pianos are in.

all brass instruments, excluding the trombone, are the same.
Well, yeah the concept is the same, push down keys which alter valves which changes the pitch. But the fingering for the trumpet (which i already know how to play), is different with the french horn.
And the Bb key is an extra fourth key that changes your pitch slightly, improving intonation. I guess what i'm trying to say is, when should i use it (cuz your only supposed to use it for specific notes)?
Any french horn players out there?
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
I'm a horn player, basically almost everyone who has said anything in this thread excluding the fellow above me are wrong. You don't use the Bb key to play in the key of Bb. When you get to high up or low on a french horn every natural note, and soon even most accidentals can be played with the same fingering of open or 1. Use the Bb key to hit higher notes and take pressure off your lips. When you push down the Bb key the fingerings change for everynote, but make it easier to hit higher notes because the air is pushed through less tubing. Thats why Bb horns are much bigger then regular F horns.
read job
Quote by MrTin

Wrong, when the french horn plays it's "C" it is actually playing a concert F.
So it's actually an F horn.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

as far as my knowledge goes, the Bb key is used in double horns to reach higher notes, switching your horn from F to Bb
Quote by frottage
my sister said to use it when the music's in the key of B-flat and she asked if you're stupid

she said if you play guitar, you should know that. she doesn't play guitar though, so i don't know how she can make such an assumption.

Tell your sister I want to have sex with her.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!