basically im changing strings on my floyd and i dont know what gauge are on at the moment but im puttin 9's on, three questions:

how will i be able to tell if the original strings are a different gauge?

How do i correct it?

what's the worst i can do to my guitar by changing the gauge strings?
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Well most factory guitars come with 9's unless you bought your guitar used it should have 9's on.If you feel like going a higher gauge your going to need a certain amount of springs (look under the back plate on the guitar) or else your bridge will sink forward since there's not enough tension to pull the strings. If you have 2 springs 9's are perfect.For 10's three springs and you need four for higher gauges like 12's and stuff which make pulling and diving hard.Hope I could help any problems you had.
i'll rearrange the order of your questions

how will i be able to tell if the original strings are a different gauge?
> one set will be thicker than the other set (if they're different)

what's the worst i can do to my guitar by changing the gauge strings?
> the angle of the tremolo unit will be different

How do i correct it?
> probably wont be a big enough deal to do anything about. you might not even notice. but when you get everything all tuned up again, if the rear of the tremolo unit is angling down into the recess cavity, you loosen the spring claw in the back, to tilt the unit upwards a little bit, then retune again.
if the tremolo unit is tilting upwards, out of the recess cavity, then you detune your guitar a little bit, and tighten the screws that hold the spring claw in the back.
just go a little bit at a time.
i have 3 springs in the back of my guitar so could it have 10's in? and it was a christmas present so may have been used.

when i put the strings together earlier i couldnt see a difference. how big would the difference be?
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
If it has 3 springs and is fine it probably has .9s. I dont think a comparison would work too well unless you have really good eyesight and something to set them on.
Quote by HighPotency
If it has 3 springs and is fine it probably has .9s. I dont think a comparison would work too well unless you have really good eyesight and something to set them on.

well the low e string was a bit smaller than the one on my guitar (and i mean miniscule difference) could i possibly have 10's then? (on the guitar) plus if i put the 9's on will they feel lighter and easier to play?
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Quote by Conca
i have 3 springs in the back of my guitar so could it have 10's in? and it was a christmas present so may have been used.

when i put the strings together earlier i couldnt see a difference. how big would the difference be?

if the guitar is all tuned up and everything is good, then that's it. you're done.
also is there any chance i would have to alter the intonation on it or the truss rod cuz im scared of something goin wrong with that? i know i sound like a noob but i just want to make sure
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Quote by sethp
if the guitar is all tuned up and everything is good, then that's it. you're done.

thanks
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
you may have to tighten you springs a little bit, but thats easy. It just takes a little time to get the spring tension to match the string tension. you shouldn't need to adjust your truss rod, if you do, it'll probably only take maybe a quarter turn to tighten it. Its really easy to do. Truss rods are nothing to fear, just don't torque the hell out of them
what about intonation though? will that change?
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
if your just going to tens i wouldnt sweat it. if you were jumping up to twelves you might need too a little bit, but tens shouldn't give you any problems. i've changed different gauges lots of times and never really had any issues
sorry wasnt too clear. im moving down to 9's from 10's sorry.
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
oh its all good, if you get your floyd rose setting pretty straight and you start getting string buzz down the neck you may need to loosen truss rod just a little. I've found it takes the neck about a day for it to get where its gonna be after a string gauge change or truss rod adjustment. But really its no big deal, i wouldn't get too worried about anything you do to your guitar. As long as you don't tighten the hell outta your truss rod and snap it everything can be adjusted
Quote by drunkass
oh its all good, if you get your floyd rose setting pretty straight and you start getting string buzz down the neck you may need to loosen truss rod just a little. I've found it takes the neck about a day for it to get where its gonna be after a string gauge change or truss rod adjustment. But really its no big deal, i wouldn't get too worried about anything you do to your guitar. As long as you don't tighten the hell outta your truss rod and snap it everything can be adjusted

thanks im gonna change them tomorrow
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3