Okay im eager to start my first build which is going to be an alder or ash telecaster. I was wondering what tools i could get away with using... i was looking at using what i already have to save space and money initially. Could i use a handheld jigsaw and just cut the body roughly and for the round parts just cut into small hexagon shapes and sand down?!?

Im also looking to collate everything else i need to get

-handheld Electric Saw
-Handheld Belt Sander (i can use this on its back)
chisels, hammer etc

Purchase-handheld router, workbench, dremmel, rasp, various sandpaper, tung oil, titebond glue, sash clamps, buffers, measuring devices?!?
Last edited by Sunburst1 at Aug 18, 2008,
Well you will get very tired very quickly using a hand held jigsaw to cut the body, I really cant recommend it. A bandsaw is very useful here.

Are you making the neck?

You'll also need a pillar drill for acurate holes, and a hand held for connecting the pup routes to the electonics cavity (if back routed) etc.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
Well you will get very tired very quickly using a hand held jigsaw to cut the body, I really cant recommend it. A bandsaw is very useful here.

Are you making the neck?

You'll also need a pillar drill for acurate holes, and a hand held for connecting the pup routes to the electonics cavity (if back routed) etc.

i am making the neck yes. I had considered getting a local woodworking company to do the body cut and the rough neck for me.

ah...pillar drills look extremely large..i dont have a lot of room. i never read anything about needing a pillar drill.
Well if you want to drill proper, straight, accurate, perpendicular to the surface holes you will need one.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
Well if you want to drill proper, straight, accurate, perpendicular to the surface holes you will need one.

okay will i think its best to hand it over to a crafter to cut the body and the neck as well as the body holes and posts. Would this be possible in terms of the order i have to do things