Page 1 of 2
I just wanted to see if there was anyone out there that had any thoughts about those amps that could help me make a decision in buying one or not =)
Isn't that the brand-new one?

It looks like another gimmick *coughcoughtranstubescoughcough* but I could be wrong.

Has it even hit the shelves yet?
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by dudetheman
Isn't that the brand-new one?

It looks like another gimmick *coughcoughtranstubescoughcough* but I could be wrong.

Has it even hit the shelves yet?

I take offense to that sir . I use a Peavey Bandit 112 and I have to say it amazing. It's no tube amp but it pwns most SS I've tried. Damned loud and sounds great. Amazing distortion and very glassy but also warm cleans.

I want to know how these are though. Seems like they'll wipe the floor with MG's and Spider III's. Too bad those amps don't get into corners well .
Head over to Harmony Central Amp Forum, and do a Search for the Peavey Vypyr 75. I posted a brief review with first impressions.

The Reader's digest version is simply this....the VYPYR is awesome, and represents unmatched bang for the buck. IMHO, it blows away all other modelers in it's price range. And yes, Peavey's latest version of their all analog "Trans Tube" technology is the reason why the Vypyr series is going to be a huge success for Peavey. There are now a few other guys who have gotten their Vypyrs and have posted similar accolades on HCAF.

Cheers,
Deuterium
Quote by dudetheman

the transtubes are the best tube emulating amp for a good price that i have played, imo.
Idk if I want to get the 30w vypyr or the save for the Classic 30, my worry is once I get the Classic 30 it will be too loud for home use and I'll need to dish out $100+ for an attenuator
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

I just read your review very nice this gives me hope i've really been looking foward to these
+1
Quote by (Metal)lica
Idk if I want to get the 30w vypyr or the save for the Classic 30, my worry is once I get the Classic 30 it will be too loud for home use and I'll need to dish out $100+ for an attenuator

Nah you wont need it the C30 has a master vol!

But in all seriousness it still sounds good at low volumes, just save for the better one.

(your names metallica.....meaning you like metal? ..C30.= no metal)
bugera 333xl (for sale)
B-52 4x12 cab
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Schecter c-1 FR prototype (for sale)
Squier strat

VOTE FOR MY BAND TO PLAY WARPED TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.battleofthebands/darkestbeforedawn
Quote by guitarbite.fire
Nah you wont need it the C30 has a master vol!

But in all seriousness it still sounds good at low volumes, just save for the better one.

(your names metallica.....meaning you like metal? ..C30.= no metal)

Wrong.

C30 can do older metal with a boost, just not modern uber high gain.

Tube amps sound better cranked. An attenuator isn't needed for house vol. per se, but it will help get better sounds, especially for blues, which IMO, sounds better with a bit of power tube break up.

A V18 1x12 is a better choice for home use, and even then is pushing it.

But.

Home use for most of us=a nice modeler or low wattage tube amp.

So many options.
i really wanna play the 60w tube version. i was gonna wait to buy a XXX combo, but damn if this thing is nice, i might just get this. Does anyone know if guitar centers are starting to get them?

edit: and i love how the tube versions say 'real 6l6 power'... does anyone know just how many 6l6's this is gonna have? i hope more than 1
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Last edited by bjovi400 at Aug 19, 2008,
wow, i just read their owners manual for the Vypyrs, and i think i might actually buy one.

Apparently, when you switch on an amp model, for example the JSX, when you turn the EQ knobs, they become active like the actual JSX, but if you put on an amp model like the Plexi, and turn the EQ knobs, they work the way the original amp does... so the Vypyrs actually have active EQs with specific amp models.

Also, i think everyone who is interested in this amp should read the manual. They have descriptions and diagrams of what these have on them.

i have one question tho. Im lookin for an amp, and i was almost set of a XXX combo, because i gig lightly, and attend band practice, as well as just in the bedroom. Because i will be using this amp with the volume up, will it be better for me to get the 60w tube to keep tight sound when cranked? will one 6L6 keep things together when cranked?
Ibanez AEL 12-string

I'm really interested in the 30 or 15 watt version of these, but I really need to know the dimensions and how heavy they are, who ever has a 15 or 30 one Message me about it
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
mcrfobtai (UGr) played thru one yesterday I think. Ping him if he doesn't see this.

Hey, I found it!

I didn't really like it. I found it super confusing and hard to dial in on a tone because you have to deal with 3 different knobs dedictaed to moddeling and it is easy to forget you have one on and say WTF, why woun't so and so happen and then you remember, change a knob and get it. But this could just be me. I am not really a good judge of effects, since I don't use them but they seem bettert than the ones on a spider. I didn't really like the gain. That said, I didn't realize I was on a high gain setting until I had to leave. But the distortion was wayyyy over the top and it was very harsh and sounded more like white niose than a guitar playing. And every time a slid my hand on the strings there was a LOUD scratching noise. I turned down the gain a bit and everything was better, but not really that great. Actually, some of the lower amp models were pretty good. You could get some decent tones out of it.
Overall, it sounded ok and was kind of fun to play with but don't use the high gains settings. If you really want serious tone, don't go for it. There are better amps but it certainly is a decent practice amp.
Last edited by mcrfobtai at Aug 19, 2008,
can i get decent zepplin tones out of it??...or is it mor eof a death metal amp from the high gain u were talking about?
I just got home with my 30w, last one they had at GC (floor model).

The controls are overwhelming. You can get pretty much ANY sound you want, you just have to dial it in to what you want. It isn't a purely anything amp, mess with the settings enough and I'm sure you can make any sound you want with the mix of stompboxes, amps, effects, and two channels for each amp.

The one thing I can say for sure is that if you want anything portable, the 30w isn't what you're looking for. I hear it's the same size and weight as the 75w, I can't confirm this, but it is decent size and heavy. I would not carry this thing around with me. If you're curious about volume, (My guitar isn't in playing condition right now) my MP3 player in the aux in with the master at 1.5 is fairly clear (vocals able to be understood, ect) by my neighbors, and the amp is in the basement and their house is maybe 200 feet away behind a mini forest.
My Guitar Center just got them in yesterday, only they didnt get any of the tube ones!!!
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Quote by bjovi400
My Guitar Center just got them in yesterday, only they didnt get any of the tube ones!!!

None of them are tubes, the bigger ones are hybrids.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
i kno ^
Ibanez AEL 12-string

I believe it is the 60 and 120 watt versions that are the Hybrid ones. If I remember correctly they were the two have a gold face plate vs all black. has an MG look

says: Real 6L6 tube power

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Page-3.gc?src=peavey+amps&ipp=15

i hope they do well and help peavey's presence at GC for example.

ok that sounds good i think ill get one of those 75watters =)
The hybrid amps are being released later then the SS amps, they aren't out yet.
I got the 75w version today. GC honored the $209.00 add from best buy. Plus I got the 2 year extended warranty for $40 so if the amp craps out I can get it replaced. Like any modeler amp, the amp has to be tweaked to the type of guitar/pickups you are using. I must say, I got some incredible sounds out of the amp. The Peavey 6505 and XXX are very good. There is more gain in this amp than I you would ever need. It's very good for hair metal, modern metal, and awesome cleans. I also got great blues tones.

I also have a Spider Valve. At low volumes it sounds much better that the spider valve. At high volumes, there is no comparison, the spider valve sounds incredible. The spider valve however is not a bedroom/practice amp IMHO. It only sounds good cranked.

The Peavey Vypyr sounds AMAZING and the 75W version is incredibly loud with very good bass response for an open-back speaker. I kust got it but am amazed by the tube-like sound for a modeling amp this cheap!! It's the best $209 I have spent and I think anyone will like this amp. It's very versatile . I'm just worried about the quality and that's why I got the extended warranty.

Try it out.
Quote by DivADD
I just got home with my 30w, last one they had at GC (floor model).

The controls are overwhelming. You can get pretty much ANY sound you want, you just have to dial it in to what you want. It isn't a purely anything amp, mess with the settings enough and I'm sure you can make any sound you want with the mix of stompboxes, amps, effects, and two channels for each amp.

The one thing I can say for sure is that if you want anything portable, the 30w isn't what you're looking for. I hear it's the same size and weight as the 75w, I can't confirm this, but it is decent size and heavy. I would not carry this thing around with me. If you're curious about volume, (My guitar isn't in playing condition right now) my MP3 player in the aux in with the master at 1.5 is fairly clear (vocals able to be understood, ect) by my neighbors, and the amp is in the basement and their house is maybe 200 feet away behind a mini forest.

Are you saying the amp is too loud for bedroom use?
Quote by Le_Bunny

Just chiming in - no, the amp is perfect for bedroom use. That's the point of a good SS amp - sounding nice at low volume. IMO the 75W sounds great at low volume and also at high volume for a SS. At GC I looked at the 30W and the 75W. I was lucky to get the 75W at $209.00 which is about the same pice as the 30w. Both have 12" sepaker but the 75W has a USB out for recording. A very nice feature for a bedroom amp IMO. And, the 75W has a little more headroom and I do not have one complaint about his amp so far.

I'm not a stranger to good tones with both tube and modeling amps. I have lost the tube-snob attitude and really taken a look at some the modern solid state amps. This amp will keep up with much more expensive amps of this type and I think you will start to see this amp driving down the price of other modeling amps.

The build quality of this amp is still to be seen....It's new and if it holds up, I think it's gonna be abig seller.
It CAN get much louder then needed for bedroom use. But as previously pointed out, it's an SS amp, just keep the volume at bedroom level and it will still sound great.
Does it have good enough tone to not get a low watt tube amp for my bedroom?
Quote by Le_Bunny

ok so we know they have A LOT of gain, but wat we need to know is if the hybrids sound good cranked, so as soon as someone is able to try out the hybrids, crank that bitch!
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Yes, it has good enough tone to not get a low wattage tube amp for the bedroom IMO.

In fact, it will have more of a tube-like tone then an actual tube amp unless you get a 1-5w tube amp and crank the hell out of it. A low wattage tube amp will also leave you with much more limited tones unless you have a bunch of pedals. The 75W vypyr sounds incredible at low volumes and the circuitry with the trans-tube is amazing. I wonder if this amp is using the same preamp as the Revalver III software. If you are into high gain tones and modern metal this amp will put to shame the amps like the Roland Cube and Spider III SS and Vox Valvetronix . IMO, tubes amps and low volume practice do not mix. Warm tube sound is meant to be experienced when the tubes are pushed.

Give it a try ......
My LAST question, because it seems like I'm going with the vypyr. I'm planning on the 30w, but would it be worth it to get the 75w with the power sponge and usb?
Quote by Le_Bunny

So...it sounds terrible at loud volumes or just not as great as a good tube amp..i would like something that sounds good a low volumes but still not awful at high volumes =)..if that makes sence lol
O YA AND ONE MORE THING where is this $209 price for the $299 75w price at bestbuy....i want a $100 cheaper discount and i didnt see ANYTHING on the bestbuy website on it?
No - the 75w sounds great at high volume but I don't know about the 30w. However, my use of this amp is for practice and recording.

Volume wise, the 75w could easily play along with a drummer. I wouldn't practice in a band with anything less than the 75w version IMHO.

The 30w version will be more than loud enough for a practice amp though.....It has the 12 inch speaker and I think it will be an amzing amp.
Page 1 of 2