Ok, so right now, I still have my Squire p-bass, which will be 2 years old in January, and A GK backline 110 (I think) combo amp. Over the summer, I have earned about $300-$400, and I am looking to upgrade.

But what should I upgrade, my bass or amp?
I'm into stuff like Blink-182, Chili Peppers, ect.

For a bass it would probably be an MIM Fender P, or (less likely) a J bass

And for an amp, I'm looking at some Ampeg combos for about $400, specifically these-
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=481495V
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-BA112-50W-Single-12-Combo?sku=481776
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-BA115-Bass-Amp-Series-Combo?sku=481777

If you have any other suggestions, post 'em
(Think 15 years old and can't get a job yet)
Quote by JDD331
A juggalo? Pokedex that ****.....what are they? like clowns...wannabes?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
MIMs are nice, highway ones are nicer lol. look into upper squiers like the VM's and CV's. As for the amps i am not a fan on ampegs lower end amps, i much prefer ashdowns and some trace elliot combos. if i had to call it either way, id say amp for now
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
probably amp....
look at ashdowns...my bro owns a Mag Evo II combo...it kicks some ass
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
are you playing gigs at all? if so, you could look at a used ashdown and get a giggable amount of power for your money.

if not, i'd recommend saving up some more money and then reevaluating your situation later.
^^not necessarily helpful.
Quote by the humanity

think pokemon
Pete Wentz sig reaches level 32, it evolves into Mark Hoppus bass.
Mark Hoppus bass uses tone knob!
it's super unneffective!
Quote by CaptainJack666
MIMs are nice, highway ones are nicer lol. look into upper squiers like the VM's and CV's. As for the amps i am not a fan on ampegs lower end amps, i much prefer ashdowns and some trace elliot combos. if i had to call it either way, id say amp for now
Yeah I think much the same. You'd probably be better off with a new amp at the moment.
Quote by failedstagedive
are you playing gigs at all? if so, you could look at a used ashdown and get a giggable amount of power for your money.

if not, i'd recommend saving up some more money and then reevaluating your situation later.

I may be playing small shows, like battle of the bands at school.

Highway one's are a little bit to expensive for my taste, though I'm probably not gonna buy anything relatively soon anyways.

What would be a giggable amount of power? I've heard 2-3 times your guitarists wattage, is that right?

What would be an ampeg amp that is good, and not to hard on my wallet?

Also, do stores like Guitar Center/Sam Ash buy used amps?
....damn I ask a lot of questions
Quote by JDD331

B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
lemme let you in on a little secret that ive came across. Only buy stuff once. Dont go out and buy an MIM Fender just to in a year or 2 sell it and buy another one. Id save your money and wait to buy an american bass or a high end amp. But if your looking into an amp id recommend ashdown mag300. I have one that only has 2 10's and its really nice and loud.
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
the general consensus seems to be that 300 watts is a good, comfortable power for gigs. you could almost certainly get by with 200ish, but the more headroom, the better. you don't want your signal breaking up from pushing the amp too hard.

try not to get too fixed on getting an ampeg because of its name. the name is famous for its tube stacks, but the lower end models are of course solid state and relatively expensive. again, ashdown amps are a good compromise if you're looking for that warmer, vintage tone. they certainly aren't the best amps, but for the average player/customer, they're one of the most practical companies.

and guitar center should buy used gear in exchange for store credit, or something like that.
^^not necessarily helpful.
Quote by the humanity

think pokemon
Pete Wentz sig reaches level 32, it evolves into Mark Hoppus bass.
Mark Hoppus bass uses tone knob!
it's super unneffective!
that one is close to my amp but mine has 2 10" speakers, not a 15 speaker. That one will have a cleared low end than mine. Also if you buy that, your only looking at the amp running at 180watts so if you are compareing it to other amps consider that. Oh and believe me that sucker is heavy and akward to carry.
No, if it's a combo, it should run the speaker at its full rating of 300W...if you were to add an extension cab (A 2x10 or 4x10, for example), it would split the 300W between the two. At least I'm pretty sure that's how it works
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for an hour.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm the rest of his life.
Quote by DJbonedog
No, if it's a combo, it should run the speaker at its full rating of 300W...if you were to add an extension cab (A 2x10 or 4x10, for example), it would split the 300W between the two. At least I'm pretty sure that's how it works

Check it ohmage on the 2-10 cab and you'll find that it is a 8 ohm cab... So my amp is running on 180watts. Just because its a combo dont assume that it will be running at full wattage, you gotta check it out before you buy it. And upon checking the 15 combo is also running at 180watts at 8 ohms... Now the 4-10 cab, is running at full wattage and 4 ohms.
Okay, that makes sense. Listen to Phishead
Quote by zero_123
Ok, so right now, I still have my Squire p-bass, which will be 2 years old in January, and A GK backline 110 (I think) combo amp. Over the summer, I have earned about $300-$400, and I am looking to upgrade.

But what should I upgrade, my bass or amp?
I'm into stuff like Blink-182, Chili Peppers, ect.

For a bass it would probably be an MIM Fender P, or (less likely) a J bass

And for an amp, I'm looking at some Ampeg combos for about $400, specifically these-
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=481495V
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-BA112-50W-Single-12-Combo?sku=481776
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-BA115-Bass-Amp-Series-Combo?sku=481777

If you have any other suggestions, post 'em
(Think 15 years old and can't get a job yet)

both
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
Don't get one of the Ampeg combos. I have the BA115 and it lacks in pretty much every area. Too quiet, average tone (worse when I turn it up), bulky, and noisy.

The Acoustic half stack may warrant a try, as will some Ashdown stuff. Mainly used MAG. A fender bassman might do the trick too.

Oh, just to throw this out there, look at the Carvin BR15. The main problem with that is the wattage (or lack thereof). Besides that it looks a splendid little amp.
if u want a good bass for rhcp and b182 id say go for a spector or a schector. i have both and they work GREAT for pretty much anything. lol schecter may have a bit of better sound, mine has better highs while my spector has amazing lows and OK highs, prolly just my amp but still. haha

or u could get a gibson bass, i saw a gibson 1974 ripper for 800 bucks today and it was great, but im happy with what i got. exept for my amp. hahaha
WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS
YOU GET A NEW GOD!!!!
Quote by zero_123
I may be playing small shows, like battle of the bands at school.

Highway one's are a little bit to expensive for my taste, though I'm probably not gonna buy anything relatively soon anyways.

What would be a giggable amount of power? I've heard 2-3 times your guitarists wattage, is that right?

What would be an ampeg amp that is good, and not to hard on my wallet?

Also, do stores like Guitar Center/Sam Ash buy used amps?
....damn I ask a lot of questions

There wont be one.
Ok then, one last question.

What are the advantages of buying a head and cabinet over a combo?
Quote by JDD331

B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
Copied from the FAQ:

Head & Cabinet:
Pros - You have an amount of over the products that you choose. You can even match a head of one brand – for example, Trace Elliot with a speaker cabinet made by Ampeg if you wanted.

Cons – You need to “match” heads to cabinets (it explains that in the FAQ as well)

Combo:
Pros - Simpler to use, you don’t need to worry about overloading you speakers and blowing them, and it is also cheaper.

Cons - You lose the flexibility you would have with a head/cabinet rig.
most stacks are more wattage then combos... i think that pretty much it
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!