I like the sound of No Quarter off the live the song remains the same album and i was wondering if anyone knew what effects i could get to get something tha sounds kinda like that...thanks =)
^

Well the main source of the overdriven tone are the amps, Marshall Superleads. Most will agree they were modded by this point, what exactly was done still isn't exactly clear. He's on the neck pickup for the first part of the solo, eventually goes back to the bridge, listen and you'll hear it. As mentioned he uses the wah on the main riff, a Thomas Organ Crybaby at the time.

The best you can do short of getting a Superlead is just to find a decent OD pedal. The OCD running at 18 volts can emulate the SRTS tone fairly well from my experiences. Has a bigger and clearer sound at 18v, sounds like poo at 9 if you ask me.
I don't hear a phaser on Page's guitar. Keep in mind JPJ ran the piano through a phaser. Maybe it's just the way it was mixed on the offical release. Page didn't have a phaser on stage in '73 either.
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
^

Well the main source of the overdriven tone are the amps, Marshall Superleads. Most will agree they were modded by this point, what exactly was done still isn't exactly clear. He's on the neck pickup for the first part of the solo, eventually goes back to the bridge, listen and you'll hear it. As mentioned he uses the wah on the main riff, a Thomas Organ Crybaby at the time.

The best you can do short of getting a Superlead is just to find a decent OD pedal. The OCD running at 18 volts can emulate the SRTS tone fairly well from my experiences. Has a bigger and clearer sound at 18v, sounds like poo at 9 if you ask me.

I have heard just about EVERYTHING in terms of Page's amps for TSRTS.

Master volumes, extra preamp tubes, KT88s, KT66s, which would possibly mean different transformers. I know we discussed the Myopic Void sound clips in the Led Zeppelin thread of a superlead running KT88s getting pretty close to that TSRTS tone. Although, the more I've listened to it the more it starts to remind me of Jimmy's Knebworth tone. That Sick Again clip especially, it doesn't seem to have the same brightness of that TSRTS tone. Or maybe its just the playing. It still definitely has that honk that is present on TSRTS, and not so much on HTWWW.

Such a killer tone though.

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?t=15871&highlight=
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 19, 2008,
Thanks alot guys =).....also..any opions on a led zeppish sounding amp i can get for 400ish dollars =)