In my humble opinion, buying the guitar grimoire a very worthwhile book was one of the better decisions I've made in my life. Its a great book no matter if you just picked up the guitar and can barely read music or if you've been playing for 15 years and your looking for some fun exercises. I just had to let everyone know about this FABULOUS book.

-don kappyton
I have a grimoire too and it's pretty useful in jazz studies. Other than that, I use it to freak the hell out of my friends because I learn scales they've never even heard of. I still havn't told them about it. Anyway, I agree, useful and worth it.
Megadeth > Metallica
Gibson > Fender
Randy Rhoads > Everybody

Quote by gamenerd323
451f you sig is the truest thing in the world

My sig > Yours
90% of the book is redundant information, and it doesn't cover the theory behind the scales well enough (or, at all) to make it useful to the kind of audience the book is aimed towards.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
90% of the book is redundant information, and it doesn't cover the theory behind the scales well enough (or, at all) to make it useful to the kind of audience the book is aimed towards.

+1.

It's a good reference to quickly visualize a scale and little else.
Quote by Archeo Avis

I agree...

I do think the book is marketed at those that would be impressed by the amount of scales, and the "evil / heavy metal" aesthetics that its presented in. In that regard it succeeds, but personally, I don't much care for the book.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 18, 2008,
Quote by edg
The entire series is pretty deceptive.

Put a "deep looking" cover on it. Make it of encylcopia thickness. Get a few ideas
that are easily found elsewhere. Repeat all the ideas ad naseum though all keys
to fill out the pages. Sell it to the unwary.

Thumbs down.

hehe my thoughts exactly.

they seem to have had success with that tactic unfortunately.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Archeo Avis

Agreed. It gives you information but doesn't even give you an idea of what to do with it. A little guidance would go a long way here. Also, despite the ridiculous thickness of the grimoire books, they have some odd gaps in coverage of material...
So far I'm deeply disappointed in the book. I found it via torrent on Pirate Bay, and it looked good enough to be worth purchasing. I should have paid more attention to the lack of explanation contained in it. It probably has great potential if the author had made an effort to explain matching chords, etc.

There's just not enough explanation (the author probably did it on his lunch hour), so I bought the video, and found only after getting home that it doesn't get into the real meat of it- finding matching chords for a given mode, etc. There wasn't anything in the video I bought that I didn't already know.

Oh but there's ANOTHER video... sigh.

So after spending around $50 that I didn't have to spend since I had a pirated copy but was trying to be honest... I recommend the pirated version.

I thought sure I'd find help on their web site, but no, not without another wad of cash.