What's the difference between Low, Middle, High, Shift, and Gain on my Peavey 115?

Low, Middle, and High go from -15 to 0 to +15

Shift goes from 200 to 1k to 2K

Gain goes from 0 to 10.

I've been playing around with them for a month and I just never noticed any differences in the sound other than volume...
if you cant hear any differences then you either have bad ears or a ****ty/broken eq.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Your Peavey probably has buttons to bypass the distortion and the EQ. Try pressing them then turning the knobs.
Quote by smb
Your Peavey probably has buttons to bypass the distortion and the EQ. Try pressing them then turning the knobs.

There is a switch on it that says has three options, being "Max", "Vintage", and "Modern".

Well the first knob (gain) is for setting the right preamp volume to make the EQ sound best. You'll notice if you use a bass with a high signal level and turn the gain right up it'll sound crappy. Normally you'd have that control as high as it goes before it sounds bad.

The voicing switch is up to you - presumably you'll prefer one sound to the others (with the EQ flat). It's probably just a pre-voiced EQ (though in one of the positions you might get some distortion with the gain up).

It should be fairly obvious what bass and treble do - turn the bass up and it sounds boomy, turn the treble up and it sounds bright and tinny. The shift control affects where the mid control works. If you turn the mids up and move the shift control, you should be able to hear what that does.
Quote by smb
Well the first knob (gain) is for setting the right preamp volume to make the EQ sound best. You'll notice if you use a bass with a high signal level and turn the gain right up it'll sound crappy. Normally you'd have that control as high as it goes before it sounds bad.

The voicing switch is up to you - presumably you'll prefer one sound to the others (with the EQ flat). It's probably just a pre-voiced EQ (though in one of the positions you might get some distortion with the gain up).

It should be fairly obvious what bass and treble do - turn the bass up and it sounds boomy, turn the treble up and it sounds bright and tinny. The shift control affects where the mid control works. If you turn the mids up and move the shift control, you should be able to hear what that does.

What do you mean by high signal level?

And by bass and treble, do you mean high and low? Or am I missing something?

I'm sorry for all the questions, I'm fairly new to all this terminology. I used to just play for fun and learn songs, but I'm getting serious now and want to know as much as possible.
Quote by Royal Celebi
What do you mean by high signal level?

And by bass and treble, do you mean high and low? Or am I missing something?

I'm sorry for all the questions, I'm fairly new to all this terminology. I used to just play for fun and learn songs, but I'm getting serious now and want to know as much as possible.
Yeah, sorry, high and low. High = treble and low = bass.

A high signal level means the bass is very loud plugged in - if the pickups are very sensitive or very close to the strings or you're using an active bass then you'll need to turn the gain down. I've got a mix of basses and some are plenty louder than others.
Quote by smb
Yeah, sorry, high and low. High = treble and low = bass.

A high signal level means the bass is very loud plugged in - if the pickups are very sensitive or very close to the strings or you're using an active bass then you'll need to turn the gain down. I've got a mix of basses and some are plenty louder than others.

Oh. Ok. Thanks a lot. I'll go screw around with it for a while and come back with my findings.

EDIT: Ok, I'm back with my observation. Smb, you were correct about Modern and Vintage being set EQs.

Modern: Full deep sound. Very nice tone.
Vintage: Tinny, old (for lack of a better word) sound. Sounds absolutely amazing.

Max, well, that is the amplifier's customizer, if you will.

Gain: From what I could tell, it optimized/lessened the EQ brought about by the knobs and/or voicing switch.
Last edited by Royal Celebi at Aug 18, 2008,