I've got a solo project and I doubt it'll be going anywhere, but when do you band guys release your guys' first album, and what do you put on it? I've got a few songs recorded (only a few are worth a listen, lol) but I upload my decent stuff onto my myspace. I wouldn't just chuck my myspace songs onto a CD and try and sell it, but I hate just recording something epic and leaving it somewhere to get covered in dust.
How do you deal with this stuff?
put it on a cd and sell it. not expensive but busk some of ur stuff, play open gigs,

if ur songs are metal and require a full band either get a full band or do an accoustic session

Edit: try get it played well some songs on local underground radio stations
I would upload a bunch of MP3s onto Megaupload or something and then spam the internet with links to downloading your album. Everybody loves free stuff, right? Apart from that, I'm not too sure what else I would do.
Everybody loves free stuff... if they know what it is. If you're driving down the road and see a plain cardboard box on someone's front yard with the word 'free' on it, do you stop? Or do you just say, "dunno even what it is... can't be anything good...." and keep going?

People will not stop and listen just because you've spammed them with a link. They have to have a reason to listen, or at least a reason to believe that it will be worth their time.

As far as releasing content goes.... you want to sell this, I presume. Show respect for your potential customer... and for your customer. Make sure it sounds good. How would YOU feel if you bought a CD, got it home, and found out it sounded like crap next to everything else in your collection? Ripped off, I'd say. Only put your best songs on. Don't give them three good songs and 7 crappy ones just so you can fill up an album. You feel ripped off when you buy a CD, get it home, only to find out there are only a couple good songs, right?

Don't give it away. If you attach no value to it, neither will anyone else. People treat things they get for free in a way far more cavalier than those things they paid good money for.

Have it look good. How would YOU feel about paying good money for something that looked like it was homemade by some yahoo on a bubble-jet printer? Get it professionally packaged, duplicated, etc.

So many things to talk about... what kind of information are you looking for?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
If its your first give it away for free none eats cookies without free samples right? Put a bunch if songs on cd and on mp3.com and give your cds away everywhere to anyone. That is what my band is doing
Quote by axemanchris
Everybody loves free stuff... if they know what it is. If you're driving down the road and see a plain cardboard box on someone's front yard with the word 'free' on it, do you stop? Or do you just say, "dunno even what it is... can't be anything good...." and keep going?

People will not stop and listen just because you've spammed them with a link. They have to have a reason to listen, or at least a reason to believe that it will be worth their time.

As far as releasing content goes.... you want to sell this, I presume. Show respect for your potential customer... and for your customer. Make sure it sounds good. How would YOU feel if you bought a CD, got it home, and found out it sounded like crap next to everything else in your collection? Ripped off, I'd say. Only put your best songs on. Don't give them three good songs and 7 crappy ones just so you can fill up an album. You feel ripped off when you buy a CD, get it home, only to find out there are only a couple good songs, right?

Don't give it away. If you attach no value to it, neither will anyone else. People treat things they get for free in a way far more cavalier than those things they paid good money for.

Have it look good. How would YOU feel about paying good money for something that looked like it was homemade by some yahoo on a bubble-jet printer? Get it professionally packaged, duplicated, etc.

So many things to talk about... what kind of information are you looking for?

CT

The most logical thing I've read all day. +1
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.