Hi,
I have a 60th Fender Anniversary Edition Highway One Stratocaster with stock tuning keys. I have a problem with these tuning keys. When I turn them to tune the guitar I can turn it for like a quarter turn before there's a change. There's like a quarter turn where I can turn but there is no change in the tuning. The problem is on each key a little bit but on the G and the high E it's annoying when trying to tune my guitar. I know there's a screw on top of the keys but I'm not sure it's that and I don't want to scrap my tuning keys...Someone knows what to do?

Thanks.
when stringing up, use a winder.

when a tuning key is as you described, it'll usually hold a tune better than a very sensitive tuner.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I can't answer your question, but I wanted to mention since I have the same guitar from the same year that the tuners on it aren't that great. I'm constantly retuning that guitar whenever I play it.
Quote by Shpongled
I can't answer your question, but I wanted to mention since I have the same guitar from the same year that the tuners on it aren't that great. I'm constantly retuning that guitar whenever I play it.

I had the same problem but recently I decided to change the brand of string I was using ( Fender Superbullet). I put GHS Boomers and it stays more in tune than before.
Put graphite in the nut and on the saddle. You can use a pencil if you want.
Does the string *tink* when it changes? If it does it's because it's getting caught in the nut. If there's too much friction in the nut then the tuner has to put a certain amount of tension on the string before it will actually move. If you put graphite in the nut, the string can move freely and the tuner just moves the string when you turn it.
I did not think that it was related to the tuning keys but when I tune my guitar the nut always make a sound. It's probably what your talking about. Do you know what's graphite and how i'm suppose to use it with the nut?
When you say a pencil, is it a normal pencil that like the ones that are usually used in school or a special pencil?
it's just a pencil.

lubing the nut cuts will help, but in addition, you need a balanced bridge and if the tuners bother you a lot, then swapping them for locking tuners is easy and not really expensive.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I've tried it but I wasn't able...how do you do? The pencil is too big for the G string so I don't see how I could do de B and E strings...
Use a mechanical pencil A.K.A a lead pencil. for the E I just keep on rubbing it until it gets skinny enough to touch the bottom of the slot.
Epi Les Paul Standard
Vox AD50VT