I'm still fairly new to guitars, but I've decided it's time to finally upgrade. I'm trying t decide between a Fender Standard HSS Strat, or an Epiphone Les Paul Studio. Currently, I'm working with a Kramer Focus 111S, and Ive been leaning towards the Les Paul, but I've heard they can be pretty unreliable and break fairly easy, though I'm not sure how much truth is in this. I play pretty much the same music as anybody else. Classic rock, metal, blues, random odds and ends, but for the most part classic and metal. So If anyone could really help me make up my mind, or even suggest a better choice (Trying to keep it under $500, but I'll go up to about $800-900) I'd appriciate it.
A Strat. It's a far more versatile guitar and the neck isn't so huge.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Go for a Shcecter Damien
My Gear-
Schecter C7 FR
Schecter Damien 7
Line 6 Spider III 150 2x12
Massive pedal board
Spector Legend Custom 5 string
Ampeg BA-112 50 watt
It depends, what kinds of music do you play? I think that the LP would handle distortions better.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
It depends on your personal preference. There's a neverending battle between Strat and LP. I haven't heard anything about LPs being unreliable. From the sound of it, a Les Paul would suite you well but those are two quite different guitars. You seriously need to try them, we can't tell you which you like more.
Quote by BassGuitarGod
Go for a Shcecter Damien

If he could get a semi-decent classic rock tone out of a Schecter Damien, I would be extremely suprised.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
if yer goin for an epiphone les paul, go for the standard not the studio, they're like 400, they are also made much better and are more versatile
Wulphy...you can get a good classic rock tone out of a Damien
My Gear-
Schecter C7 FR
Schecter Damien 7
Line 6 Spider III 150 2x12
Massive pedal board
Spector Legend Custom 5 string
Ampeg BA-112 50 watt
The best thing to do is play both of them and figure out which one you like best. Everyone has their favorites, you just need to go find which one suits you, sometimes you might find something else while looking for those two and like that one best. Best of luck to you
Quote by RocknRollRay
If you make a clone of yourself, then have sex with yourself,

Is it incest or masturbation?
Quote by wtf290
It's not incest, but it's not masturbation.
It'd be closer to incest than masturbation, but I don't think there's a word for it.
Quote by ScottElwood
Incesturbation?
go for a strat with a humbucker in the bridge that can give you a real good classic rock and possibly metal tone. the strat will probably feel a lot better and play a lot smoother and its lighter and youll have the ability to have a tremolo

also if your gonna get a lp dont ruin it with a studio, get a standard or take a look at the PRS Se Singlecut Trem: its just like a les paul, plays and sounds better than an epiphone imo, and also has a tremolo which could be an added bonus
Hendrix, Dave Gilmour, and SRV all played strats in an iconic way, with a completely different sound from one another.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Ibanez Artcore AK95
Ibanez GRG 170 DX
Peavey Transtube 212 EFX
I'm saving up for an Ibanez PGM301 (*cough* $1,299.99), but yeah, that guitar would have the sound I think you're looking for. Or maybe you might look into any of the other less expensive PGM models.
At the 500 dollar price point, you can get a few different guitars. For what you want to play, I would say a G400. An EPI studio isn't worth it IMO.

A MIM fat strat would be good, but not if you play higher gain stuff (though it CAN handle it no problem, there are better options).

If you can stretch to about 6-750, try to get an Edwards LP custom.