I want to get a blues/jazz project going, but where I am most bands consist of thrash, deathcore, screamo, or punk. Almost no blues bands. I'm 18 and my buddy (who is a drummer) are thinking about starting something. More of an improv blues project.

Any ideas? Good idea? Places to gig at?

If not I'd like some ideas on taking a solo blues project somewhere.
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
I'm surprised no one has responded to this thread.

While you were unclear about your gigging situation, I do recommend getting together with that buddy of yours and see what you come up with. Even if there's no bassists, find ways to fill sonic space that the bassist usually fills up. Duo's are very unique. But I suggest to try not to sound like the Black Keys
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
well for now you could maybe get a loop pedal and play the bass lines and then play guitar over that. blues usually stick to the same progressions. so learn some basic blues walking bass lines and then you two can improv over that until you find a bass player. another option would be a keyboard player who can play bass lines and keys lines at the same time, like the doors.

as for gigs, usually bars will have blues and jazz bands bands. and some places have battle of the bands stuff and usually i think any kind of band can be in it. at least where i am they are like that. but i wouldnt worry about gigs until you actually get the band together first.

and solo blues would be alright i guess. but i think people would rather see a blues band. i know it can be more exciting to see a whole band because then they can go off and solo more. you cant really do that on your own too much. so just playing blues might not be the best thing if you are alone. you would probably want to add other things in too.
That really sucks. I guess its really different where I live because I'm trying to get a metal band togethe and all I can find is ppop and emo singers.

Have you checked craigslist?
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Quote by bluesrocker101
I'm surprised no one has responded to this thread.

While you were unclear about your gigging situation, I do recommend getting together with that buddy of yours and see what you come up with. Even if there's no bassists, find ways to fill sonic space that the bassist usually fills up. Duo's are very unique. But I suggest to try not to sound like the Black Keys

I was about to say that, about the Black Keys

Well yeah, we'll have our own sound. I should give it a try.

As for gigs, dunno, maybe a coffee house if there's enough room, or somewhere convenient for blues? Ideas?
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by racman92
That really sucks. I guess its really different where I live because I'm trying to get a metal band togethe and all I can find is ppop and emo singers.

Have you checked craigslist?

Craigslist? I haven't actually. I should.. thanks.
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
You don't necessarily need a bassist. On some of John Lee Hooker's songs it was just his voice, his guitar, and his "drumming." He tapped his shoes on a wooden pallet. You could make it work. Of course, it would be good to get a bassist.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
im in the same boat man. you just gotta stick it out, and share blues music with others, try to get them into it
blues may not be popular, but it's frigging amazing
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
I play a lot of Metal, and the metal I tend to play evolves from blues and jazz. Megadeth/Dave Mustaine uses a lot of blues scales in their solos and lead parts, and my teacher knew that, so he told me to listen to and learn some Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, etc.

I play a lot of video games, and i tend to listen to a SRV playlist when i do lol. There's SOME people here that listen to blues :O

I wish more would though, its good music.
Maybe you're limiting yourself to just musicians of around your own age?
If so, try looking for older musicians in your area because blues just ain't as popular as it used to be, so you'll probably find more people into blues in an older generation.

I personaly have a love/hate relationship with blues.
One the one hand, I learned to play listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan, ZZ Top, Cream, Walter Trout, AC/DC and all those guys, and I still get a tingle up my spine whenever I hear a really dirty blues riff.

But on the other hand, our local council decided to announce that Burnley was the 'blues capital' of Britain about 15 years ago.
Before that, Burnley had a thriving gigging scene with lots and lots of different sorts of bands, each one as original as you've ever heard, after that, you couldn't get a gig in or around Burnley unless you were a blues band for about 4 years. It had a devistating effect on our town's natural musical development.

Infact, I think I've just solved all of your problems... move to Burnley.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Aug 19, 2008,
Dunno about in America but in England, if you go to pubs that run an open mic night it tends to mainly be people jamming out blues. Maybe check out some local pubs and find a bassist or whatever?
GUITAR!!!!!
Go to a store like Guitar Center and look for bassists there. If they are desperate (like bassists usually are ) you can easily ask one of them to be in your band.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.