Yeah, I just booked my band's first show, and it's the first show any of us have ever played. It's a Battle of the Bands at The Trocadero, which is like the second biggest venue in Pennsylvania. The date is set for September 27th. First prize wins 16 hours of time in a recording studio for free.

I'm pretty nervous though. For one thing, we have to play a 15 minute set. We only have about 7 minutes actually written, and are only really tight on about 2 of those minutes. Hopefully the pressure will help us write and learn faster? Will it?

Also I'm somewhat nervous about the actual size of the place. It's HUGE, and the crowds probably going to be like 500+. Considering none of us have ever played before, this is a tough place to learn how to do it. Any advice?
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Special II [Heavily Modded]
Hand-Built Jem Copy
Rouge RA-100

Amps:
Crate VC-50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
DigiTech Bad Monkey
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss Noise Suppressor
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
That shouldn't have been your first show...

Hahaha. I'm sorry, man, but with no experience, that's pretty stupid.

Also, the Troc is NOT the second biggest venue in PA. It's not even one of the biggest venues in Philly! Haha. So relax. Take a deep breath. And get writing. You need to. And get TIGHT. Because if you're not tight up there, you'll look foolish.

Question - what is this BotB? Who's it associated with? Is it still possible to sign up?
if the second biggest venue in Pennsylvania sits 500+ people, that sucks balls.
Haha okay maybe I was overstating it a bit. But it is pretty much the biggest venue your average local band gets to play around here.

And as to the battle. Just check out the Troc's webpage. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with "The Next Big Thing".
Guitars:
Hand-Built Jem Copy
Rouge RA-100

Amps:
Crate VC-50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
DigiTech Bad Monkey
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss Noise Suppressor
bad decision to make this your first show.

but work with what you have.

i say, you should have a group of 15 friends round and play some covers/originals for them a few days before the botb so you guys can get through that "first time nerves" thing.
Quote by Afyum
Yeah, I just booked my band's first show, and it's the first show any of us have ever played. It's a Battle of the Bands at The Trocadero, which is like the second biggest venue in Pennsylvania. The date is set for September 27th. First prize wins 16 hours of time in a recording studio for free.

I'm pretty nervous though. For one thing, we have to play a 15 minute set. We only have about 7 minutes actually written, and are only really tight on about 2 of those minutes. Hopefully the pressure will help us write and learn faster? Will it?

Also I'm somewhat nervous about the actual size of the place. It's HUGE, and the crowds probably going to be like 500+. Considering none of us have ever played before, this is a tough place to learn how to do it. Any advice?

I'm going to try hard to not be an ass on this entire situation , but I've been there before. My band booked our first show before we even had a singer! All our songs were written within the gig week , and we came out and we where "decent" it went great we had 80 people out at a well respected club. But in retrospect it could've gone a lot better if we had prepared. I'm going to outline some faults

1. Never book a show with only 7 minutes worth of material written. 7 minutes is nothing in terms of a gig. An opening band usually has 30-45 minutes of material , a headliner with 1 hour+ worth of material. Always have MORE than enough material ready

2. BE TIGHT on all the songs , I know it sounds harsh and rough but practice until everything is right. If you screw up start over and polish everything and fine tune it. If you have 7 minutes of stuff make it a DAMN GOOD 7 minutes.

3. Pressure is a bitch , I won't lie sometimes it's worked magic , the whole " if we set a deadline we HAVE to kick ass" thing , other times it fails horribly. I'd say make sure to be ready before hand.

But look at this man you got you're first show , it's set in stone , so make the best of it. Practice , practice , practice it's the only way to get things straight. First gig jitters are pretty bad , but think of it this way. This is a big venue , but I want to rock the hell outta it , I don't want to end up looking nervous and like a joke. All in all , good luck! The club is pretty nice reminds me of one called The Meridian down here in Houston. Don't let the size get to you a gig is a gig no matter if you are playing in a 100,000 seat arena or if you are playing to a 100 person limit club give it you're all!
The Troc isn't that big, I don't think 500 people would fit in there, even if they tried. Maybe, 250?
Anyways, it is a nice size place. They do this BOTB every year I suppose, cause my old drummer played it with his last band last year, but unfortunatly didn't win. To be honest, I don't think the pressure is going to push you to write more, it might accually make it harder to come up with some material.

How much are tickets? I'll probably go this year.
Quote by caraluzzo
The Troc isn't that big, I don't think 500 people would fit in there, even if they tried. Maybe, 250?
Anyways, it is a nice size place. They do this BOTB every year I suppose, cause my old drummer played it with his last band last year, but unfortunatly didn't win. To be honest, I don't think the pressure is going to push you to write more, it might accually make it harder to come up with some material.

How much are tickets? I'll probably go this year.

Everlast and NOFX are coming by there , it looks more over 250. Pressure can work wonders or bite you in the ass.
don't worry if you don't win, those are usually rigged, just kick-ass and have fun.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
Everlast and NOFX are coming by there , it looks more over 250. Pressure can work wonders or bite you in the ass.

I know, I've seen Amon Amarth and All That Remains there. It's like 25 minutes from where I live, but it really isn't that big. Atleast not 500 or anything. Everytime I've been there I say there was probably about 300 people, and it was to the point to were it was hard to move. I could be wrong though, just saying it's not huge.
As I've just said in another thread, don't book gigs until you are ready to play gigs.

Still, it's only 15 minutes, that makes it about 3 or 4 songs, so turn what you have into a song and learn a couple of easy covers, then, if you have time, rehearse them as a set, over and over again until you are completely pissed off with playing them.
Then on the day, just go for it and enjoy the experience.
Well you need 7-8 more minutes. I don't know what type of music you play, but if you play anything metal, do some hardcore. You don't even have to like the songs or actually use them if you record, just write 3-4 riffs and turn it into a 2 minute song. That is though, if you are desperate and to fill what you have left.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
The Troc is a well respected venue in the area (I'm from NJ), and you guys definitely should have prepared a lot more. 7-8 minutes is nowhere near enough. 20 would even be cutting it short for that venue.
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
I would advise you to literally lock yourselves in a room and practice and practice until you get the songs down tight, learn 7 mins worth of relatively easy songs FAST before you have to play the gig (blink-182 songs for example simplistic yet good and its not falloutboy)

Don't worry about winning battle of the bands aren't really what they used to be... It used to about skill and perfoming well and having good songs, now it seems to be which band can bring the most friends so they win...

I know i sound like a cocky bitch but we outplayed every single band, were energetic, and about 3 years younger than any band there and we didn't even make it to the second round of three rounds cause we had literally no one there to come and support us because it was so far from our neighbourhood (and the songs on our myspace are old so don't judge haha).
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Quote by AmpleSteak

Don't worry about winning battle of the bands aren't really what they used to be... It used to about skill and perfoming well and having good songs, now it seems to be which band can bring the most friends so they win...

Very true. To TS: Practice, practice, practice. You may have jumped in over your heads but you have to just do what you can and give it your all. The positive is that once you do this you'll definitely learn from this experience and be better prepared for future shows. Congrats on booking the show though, its a first step that I'm sure a lot of people would like to accomplish. Good luck.
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
Quote by AmpleSteak
I would advise you to literally lock yourselves in a room and practice and practice until you get the songs down tight, learn 7 mins worth of relatively easy songs FAST before you have to play the gig (blink-182 songs for example simplistic yet good and its not falloutboy)

I know i sound like a cocky bitch but we outplayed every single band, were energetic, and about 3 years younger than any band there and we didn't even make it to the second round of three rounds cause we had literally no one there to come and support us because it was so far from our neighbourhood (and the songs on our myspace are old so don't judge haha).

Thats how the music industry works , just because you are a talented but doesn't mean you are entitled to win these battles. You have to show them you are able to market yourself and self-promote yourself. No company is going to invest their time and money into a band who can't bring a decent crowd out.
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
Thats how the music industry works , just because you are a talented but doesn't mean you are entitled to win these battles. You have to show them you are able to market yourself and self-promote yourself. No company is going to invest their time and money into a band who can't bring a decent crowd out.

True.
You know that saying? The one that goes, 'This isn't a popularity contest.'.... well actualy a battle of the bands is a popularity contest.
I'm pretty sure the Trocadero holds more than 500 people. Lamb Of God played there and filmed it for there DVD Killadelphia. Definetly more than 500 people at that show.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
The troc holds 1200 in one stage and 600 in the other. On their web page. So stop bitching at me about that.

Also, I know we jumped in over our heads. My train of thought was "**** it. Even if we only manage to play a 10 minute set, it'll be a great experience for us and a ton of fun."

Thanks to the people who are actually posting helpful stuff. We're practicing our ass's off. We might very well make it to a 15 minute set.

Now can anyone give some tips for playing the actual show? Are ear plugs necessary?
Guitars:
Hand-Built Jem Copy
Rouge RA-100

Amps:
Crate VC-50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
DigiTech Bad Monkey
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss Noise Suppressor
In my experience pressure before gigs is the worst thing you can do. I've made myself sick as a dog in the week leading up to a show, sometimes being sick to the point where I was throwing up the day of the show.

I've never believed its a good idea to force yourself to finish a song for a gig. I'm a true believer in finishing songs on your own time, not putting pressure on yourself to write a song in time for an upcoming gig. Either you have the material ready or you don't. Theres obviously exceptions, I'm thinking of a case where maybe you've written an intro to a song, or just a chorus, and you expect to write an entire song around it within a week just to perform it at a show. Its very hard to end up with a great song that way.

Rule of thumb, take on sets that are less than what you're capable of playing.
Quote by take_it_t

Rule of thumb, take on sets that are less than what you're capable of playing.

That's a good rule to follow, it means that if you get an encore, you'll never be stuck for something to play.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
That's a good rule to follow, it means that if you get an encore, you'll never be stuck for something to play.

i agree as well, my band got encored to do 2 more songs one night, we had one and one about 60% done(intro, verse, chorus, breakdown, no ending, no vocals, no talk about organization of the parts). we went with it.... we were forgetting parts and missing transistions, but overall it worked out(same key same tempo for the parts at the time, so even though it sounded wrong to us, it wasnt completely awful and everyone was into it). singer just made up vocals and went with it. fun night, but i'd like to never do that again(play a song not finished).

i'd say if you have time before this thing, go out to an open mic and just play to get a tiny bit of experience. just so you guys know what your doing on stage. like where to set everything up and how you want to go from song to song. work on stage presence instead of just standing there like statues. its alot easier in the practice room than infront of a bunch of ppl. couldnt hurt. and it gives you a chance to try out a new song or cover or something to see how you guys do it.
Well go for 15 minutes and do your best to talk to the crowd a little bit, that'll generally use up about 2 minutes of set time, 2 minutes dosen't sound like alot but if you are as short on time as you say you are it will make your set longer and therefore make you appear slightly more professional
Personally i think youve bitten off a bit more than you can chew but just go out there a go a ****inig nuts. That said i believe most bands should create about 4-10 songs record them on a old tape recorder or anything cheap and give it to people for free. This creates hype and it means you'll be ready for gigs which are more likely to have bigger turnouts (unless your songs are ****).