I thought I knew how the pre-amp and power amp sections worked (in basic terms) until just now. I was wanting to get my guitar rig downsized a little (a head amp isn't the easiest thing to move around). I was planning on using a rack mounted setup instead. I have a Cavin TS100 tube power amp and I'd thought I could just get a good tube pre amp that would do pretty much everything that my head amp is doing.

... I thought that until I read something someone was saying about it being impossible to get the sound of a full-on head amp using a pre-amp + power amp setup. It wasn't too clear but I gather that he was saying that power tube distortion can't be achieve as well this way. It confuses me because I thought that a head was basically just a pre-amp + power amp in one box and that a separate pre-amp and power amp would be the same thing once put together.

If someone could offer some clarity, it would be appreciated.
they are the same thing essentially
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
they are the same thing essentially

You mean putting together a pre-amp and power amp is the same thing as having them both in one? That's what I had always thought. The only difference I can think of is that I think my Carvin power amp has a built-in pre-amp section that a pre-amp (for distortion) would be run through. I think with some power amps, you can run a pre amp straight into the power amp section... I'm a little fuzzy on how exactly this works or should work.

I don't know... Maybe I just ruined what I already knew by listening to someone who didn't know what they were talking about.

Let be rephrase my question: if I run a good tube pre-amp through my Carvin TS100, would I be sacrificing anything in quality (or potential quality) vs. using the built-in distortion channel on a tube head amp.
you wouldn't be sacrificing anything. You may actually get better versatility depending on the preamp you choose
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
you wouldn't be sacrificing anything. You may actually get better versatility depending on the preamp you choose

Many thanks! That's the response I was hoping for. I haven't yet decided on a pre-amp but some of the Mesa stuff looks like it might do the trick...

Thanks again.