Quick question:
Is an 18 watt amp loud enough for a gig in a school gym?

Edit: Also, should I get a 112 or 212 (I'm in a metal band)
Last edited by Sunburst PR at Aug 18, 2008,
school gym as in a big ass shoe box no way man the acoustics are terrible you dont need watts you need the hand of god
Tube - Should be
Solid State - Possibly.
Might not be worth it though, seeing as most smaller amps totally crap
out and sound horrible when their volume is cranked.
18 watts tube? probably
I guess it would depend how big the gym is?
Peavey Limited Exp Hss
BC Rich BW-4000BB
Schecter C-1 Classic
Quote by Sunburst PR
Quick question:
Is an 18 watt amp loud enough for a gig in a school gym?

Edit: Also, should I get a 112 or 212 (I'm in a metal band)

if youre in a metal band it doesnt matter what amp you have if youre playing a strat you need humbuckers and quite possibly the hand of god
it would sound horrible,see if you can plug your amp into PA system or get some bigger speakers hooked up to it,i have a 2x12 and i personally think they sound better than 1x12s
18 watt tube should be enough to play a school gym unmicced but it might be a stretch

in terms of 112 vs 212 that depend on the tone you want. the 212 will sound a bit fuller with tighter bass response. its also heavier and more expensive. try both both types out though and see what you like
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
I'm assuming you're talking about the massive deal going on on Musician's Friend right now...

I would get it anyway. 200 bucks for the V18 212? Talk about a deal.

Also, the V33h is for real cheap right now, I think around 200 bucks as well. They have a scratch and dent/clearance 2x12 cab for 90 bucks. I would get that if I had the dough.
just letting you know i havent found a place where the crate vs arent out of stock online. same with local. good luck.
I have the the v33 and I'm liking it. It sounds good and its hella loud. It wont do metal though, its a classic rock/blues amp.

Also, the problem with school gyms is, they tend to make a band sound muddy and the instruments dont cut through like they should.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"