Anyone know how you can hook up 2 monitors for studio use as in computer screens not speakers.
Kl but could i not use an external splitter?

Also i thought this would enable me to work on seperate screens or split the screen in 1/2 ans 1/2
yes you have an option of seeing the same thing on both monitors or extending the screen onto both of them
Caution: Once you get this going, you will have a hard time working on a single monitor again.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
You need a video card with two outputs (shouldn't be too hard to find) or two seperate video cards. Very affordable and very worthwhile.
All you need is a video card that supports dual monitor setup, (almost all cards do these days) and then your card normally has a white D-SUB and blue DVI output.

Use a D-SUB cable to link to one monitor and a DVI cable to link to another monitor.
Set the displays to work in dual mode, usually done in the page where you set the resolution.

Interfacelift.com has a bunch of Desktop images for dual screen as well.

I am not aware of any splitters which give control over each display separately....I would see it just mirroring the first monitor...

Quote by axemanchris
Caution: Once you get this going, you will have a hard time working on a single monitor again.

CT

Yea dual monitors is a huge help.
I had an old Dell LCD hooked up at one point but it died and I had to take it off....

I should look for another screen again...
Last edited by moody07747 at Aug 19, 2008,
wow this is really weird, one screen has normal stuff the other has my destop without any icons but the mouse can travel over to it. Also when i load up cubase it only shows on one screen. confused.com

edit got it working this owns. I can also do 2 seperate things but need to work that out
Last edited by Sunburst1 at Aug 19, 2008,
yeah my problem is one is a tv one is a monitor so when i hook them up it changes my default settings so when i revert back to singer screen i have to change the resolution everytime.
Most laptops don't. You should look at Matrox's products. They're a bit expensive, but they're really good.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by Fast_Fingers
Most laptops don't. You should look at Matrox's products. They're a bit expensive, but they're really good.

I have to disagree there. On both accounts....

Almost all laptops now days have a VGA out that will let you hook up a second screen. Even the lowest budget Intel graphics chips have this functionality.

For an affordable video card check out the IOGear external usb 2 video card. It's going for $67 at newegg.com. We have these at my company and tey work very well.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812225007
Also look for used video cards etc (eBay,Craigslist,Refurbs from retail sites). You can put as many video cards in your system as you have expansion slots for.

As long as this isn't going in your gaming rig you should be good to go.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
I don't count the laptop as a second screen when hooking it up. I know it acts like one (I do it myself with a 19" for school) but the differences in size, aspect ratio (in my case), and resolution are too hard to ignore. I guess then, using your logic, I'm actually hooking up three monitors with the Matrox.

That said, your external USB card looks like a good idea, though honestly I wouldn't mind getting a normal PCI/PCI-e card and sticking it in, since the USB limits you to a small resolution...a 4:3 (normal aspect ratio) 19" monitor's the most you can get from it, and most cards come with accelerators to improve video watching and are cheaper.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101