Page 1 of 2
So Me and my friends are gonna do battle of the bands in a like a few months but I only have a crappy marshall mg practice amp(the 80 dollar one.).
So I need a good tube amp with good tone for metal and blues.
Any suggestions?
The cheapest one I'd probably would buy is 350- 400 but yea I don't want to spend over 700 bucks so something in that price.
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
metal and blues are vastly different genres. if your going for a versatile amp that will do high gain well along with have a good clean channel check out the b52 at100

try a peavey windsor and boost it to get it into some light metal
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quote by forsaknazrael
If you can stretch it, the Randall RG50TC would be good for metal, and passable for blues.

Within your budget, a Crate V33 + an OD would be good for blues, passable for metal.

passable for some light metal territory

its pretty hard pressed to even do thrash
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quote by forsaknazrael
If you can stretch it, the Randall RG50TC would be good for metal, and passable for blues.

Within your budget, a Crate V33 + an OD would be good for blues, passable for metal.

This.

Though you'd be hard pressed to find an amp that could do both well without spending 1000+ anyway.
Quote by Dimebag Bill
Peavey Valveking?

if anything classic 30 plus od if needede

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

well By metal I mean like a decent distortion.
I don't like the tone of peavey amps .
and by blues I don't mean like clean blues i mean Kinda like zakk wylde or hendrix really distorted blues for like soloing
Quote by Stress Cow
Quote by theocao
well By metal I mean like a decent distortion.
I don't like the tone of peavey amps .
and by blues I don't mean like clean blues i mean Kinda like zakk wylde or hendrix really distorted blues for like soloing

So you mean like Sabbath stuff... and Electric 60s rock?

I'm a little confuzed considering that Zakk wylde is a metal pentatonic box abuser who likes to put his name on amps for a little cash and Hendrix was an electrified grooveadelic guitar soul generator... See the difference?

Which peavey amps have you played? they are all vastly differently voiced. Honestly I reccomend a Classic 30 with an overdrive. HOWEVER!

I Would highly suggest a Used Mesa F-30 or F-50...

They have awesome cleans and just the amount of gain your lookin for!
Srsly, for the most bang for the buck for what you want, the Crate V Series is what you want. Srsly.

Peavey Classic series amps are a bit more expensive and comparable (I actually prefer the V series, or the Delta Blues).
or a crate blue-voodoo head (bv-120H),check your local craigslist...i picked up a used one for 200 bucks in mint condition .That will give you some play money for a 2x12 or 4x12 cab.

I switch back and forth from my mesa all the time...i like the blue voodoo :-)
umm what would you recommend for technical deathmetal and shred?

Im not really gigin i just need it for like battle of the bands in several months I just need something that sounds good in a school auditorium.
Quote by Stress Cow
Quote by theocao
umm what would you recommend for technical deathmetal and shred?

Im not really gigin i just need it for like battle of the bands in several months I just need something that sounds good in a school auditorium.

Your pricerange?
Bugera 333xl
bugera 333xl has an awesome lead channel and a damn good clean channel with some blusey tone. 600 bucks.
Um, how did we go from hendrix to deathmetal?

+1 on the bugera if you need the gain for deathmetal.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
umm are krank amps any good?
Quote by Stress Cow
They make some good amps, I don't know about any in your price range though. The only good ones I know of are the krankensteins and they are a pretty expensive.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
i would never pay the money that krank wants for their amps. I'd buy something cooler with that cash or maybe save up a bit more.
Quote by Kevin Saale
They make some good amps, I don't know about any in your price range though. The only good ones I know of are the krankensteins and they are a pretty expensive.

Too bad he's not in Sacramento, there are two Revolution heads for 400 bucks on CL right now.
how about them marshal have stacks?
the jcm i believe?
Quote by Stress Cow
Will never fit your budget.

And will definitely be overkill for a Battle of the Bands gig.
try a crate v series. peavey valveking or classic 30. one of those will prolly do it for you.
Quote by InvaderTSN
It's the Asian blood in his veins. It allows him to accomplish things normal people are unable to.

Puberty was very vague. I literally locked myself in a room and played guitar.
also, you might want to get some pedals to go with those amps i previously stated. either way it'll work for you
Quote by InvaderTSN
It's the Asian blood in his veins. It allows him to accomplish things normal people are unable to.

oh for Pedals I have a digitech deathmetal distortion and a vox wah
but my current amp is a 80 dollar marshall practice amp
Quote by Stress Cow
amen^
Quote by InvaderTSN

so screw the half stack and but a combo?
Quote by Stress Cow
Double plus good on the crate V series but I don't really do metal. Its souds like metal to me with a pedal. Guess its pedal to the metal. Really you need to get to a GC and try as many amps as they got. Try the Valveking and the windsor , the crate and the bugera. Submit the list of what you like and what you hate. Others with similar impressions will be able to give you a list of similar amps to also try. In the end your ear and wallet decide. Just let it be known lots of people with great ears and experience like some of the cheap stuff alot so don't be embarassed if you can't hear it or even prefer cheap. Don't buy an amp thinking your ear will grow into it. You can't predict where your ear will go.
I love my crate V30 tube but I suggest you give the windsor studio a try.
For <400 you're never going to get a good tube amp (new) unless it's the VK.

For <700, if you go used you can find a whole host of options.

1. Traynor YCV50 BLUE.

2. Peavey 5150 Combo (be warned, however, you may not like its tone - and these things get louder than your obnoxious neighbors who blast music all day and night)

3. Bugera 6262 (5150 clone, with supposedly better cleans)

4. B-52 AT112 (Have been called the poor man's Mesa/Boogie... if you don't know what those are, look up some sound clips of a Dual Rectifier)

5. Peavey JSX Combo (be warned that they weigh 90 lbs, but that's the weight of good tone)

6. The "old faithful" amp option, Classic 30 + overdrive. Usually you can't go wrong here.

7. Marshall JCM800 combo.

8. Mesa F-30 or F-50 combo.

There are more options... but keep in mind that if you go used you open up your options a looot more.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
well if you can get 400 dollars you can save up a little more for a good amp. Don't be in a rush and regret what you buy. so what if it takes you a month or two to save up more money... atleast you'll have something you want.
actually battble of the bands is about 10 - 8 months XD so yea I think i have plenty of time to save up but im going to guitar center this friday to test some out
can someone make a list of amps i should try out (links would be good also)
Quote by Stress Cow
Can you see other peoples posts?
Raijouta just made an excellent list for you.
k ill just write those down for friday
Quote by Stress Cow
Quote by Raijouta
For <400 you're never going to get a good tube amp (new) unless it's the VK.

For <700, if you go used you can find a whole host of options.

1. Traynor YCV50 BLUE.

2. Peavey 5150 Combo (be warned, however, you may not like its tone - and these things get louder than your obnoxious neighbors who blast music all day and night)

3. Bugera 6262 (5150 clone, with supposedly better cleans)

4. B-52 AT112 (Have been called the poor man's Mesa/Boogie... if you don't know what those are, look up some sound clips of a Dual Rectifier)

5. Peavey JSX Combo (be warned that they weigh 90 lbs, but that's the weight of good tone)

6. The "old faithful" amp option, Classic 30 + overdrive. Usually you can't go wrong here.

7. Marshall JCM800 combo.

8. Mesa F-30 or F-50 combo.

There are more options... but keep in mind that if you go used you open up your options a looot more.

are the bugeras that good?
I like marshals how much is a used JCM800
should ireally buy it used how much is it new?
Quote by Stress Cow
look into kustom's hybrid high voltage amps. they are high gain with a tube preamp
Go for the bugera if you want new. I mean if you find a good deal on a jcm go for it but sometimes they are hard to find for a cheap price
Page 1 of 2