What are the best tubes for surf, and what kind is the best for reverb 12at7 or 12ax7s or another?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Amp? Wat?
You're doing it wrong.
Pick the amp, not the tubes. The circuit matters more than the tubes. If a 12AX7 was "better" for reverb than a 12AT7, then everyone would use them.
Oh, well on a Deluxe reverb. I only said that about the 12at7 because I heard that and wanted to see if it was true, and good to see Gooley not banned anymore.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Your amp/circuitry matters more. And, since you didn't give a budget, I will list the best tubes that I have experience with that I think will suit surf music.

I'd recommend a brighter set of power tubes. Depending if you want to go Old Stock or stay with modern production, go for RCA 6l6's for old stock or Tungsol 6l6's for modern production.
As for a V1 preamp tube, look into RCA 12AX7s. They're pretty common for old stock tubes, and can be found cheap if you look hard enough. They have a clean full tone, which sounds great for surf.
For your reverb slots, surf needs quite a bit of reverb, and the effect needs to be pretty present in your tone.
I have tested out a few different tube types in my reverb slots, and I felt that 12AX7s gave the reverb more presence and depth than say, a 5751 or 12AT7. Brand doesn't really matter here, but I use RCAs in my amp's reverb slots.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Like what Arbiter said, I've heard that 12AT7s give too thin reverb and vibrato. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to tubes. Thanks.
Quote by chip46
Last edited by lespaul#1 at Aug 19, 2008,
Mehhh, theoretically a lower gain tube like a 12AU7 would give you MORE reverb than a 12AX7? Ohm's law? Meh, the higher-mu tubes would probably give less reverb and more general warmth though I think.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I tried an AU7 in my reverb slots, and it dropped the amount of reverb. I had to turn the reverb control up to half to actually get a fair amount of verb.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
A higher gain tube in a reverb driver will result in more reverb. Keep in mind the purpose of the tube is to amplify the signal from the reverb ("drive" it), so a higher gain tube means a louder reverb.
I just wanted to know what tubes were best for surf. I know Dick Dale used Ruby Tubes.
Quote by chip46