Im wanting to get a program for my computer to plug my guitar into the computer and play through it. but im having trouble figuring out which would be best for what i want.

what i want is this:
-play my guitar using my computers speakers (or headphones plugged into the computer)
-lots of amp models and effects
-drum and bass backing loops to customize and play along with
-ability to take mp3s and play along with them, and maybe slow them down and remove the guitar so i can play the guitar part.
-ability to record all these things (would be willing to download software for this if not included with the program, if cheap or free)

-ability to have something to plug the guitar into and my ipod with headphones and play without the computer would be awesome too, but not neccessary

so far i have been looking at these:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-TonePort-GX-USB-Recording-Interface-104484647-i1275725.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-TonePort-UX1-USB-Recording-Modeling-Interface-103373676-i1126366.gc

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PocketPOD/reviews/#anchor

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-GearBox-Plug-In-Gold-Bundle-104070602-i1169049.gc

thanks, i know its a lot, but im confused and dont know much about this stuff yet
i can tell you from experience that an audio interface with firewire will have way less latency than usb. take a look at presonus firebox
I do exactly what you are talking about flawlessly (except record) I have a digitech rp350 (same as the 250 just more bells and whistles) peddalboard, which has a usb interface, I run a software program called the amazing slowdowner, availabe for download for about 40 bucks.

I can easily take songs off of my 500 gig hard drive, I use primarily flac files, but the amazing slowdowner will work with every form of storage, mp3, wave, flac all that stuff, and load it into the slowdowner.

It slows down, speeds up, loops, adjusts automatically for pitch I can't say enough good stuff about the amazing slowdowner, but what is really great about my gear is the peddalboard, fire up the amazing slowdowner, it comes into my peddalboard, and exits through my pair of wireless sennheiser headphones and bam! I'm seamlessly blending into the song I want to play at any pitch or speed, works awesome. If I want to play it through speakers, just select a different sound output in the amazing slowdowner and play along through your speakers. I beleive the new version of the amazing slowdowner is also set up for Ipod stuff, however I don't use an Ipod.

The digitech peddalboard works great, I can always find a tone that works. Tons of amps, effects, a built in wah peddal, Tuner, and they all sound pretty good too! But the usb output makes it a must have for computer users. Also the digitech has a decent drum maching built in.

Basically it has everything you need, no guitar amp required, just need a peddalboard, headphone, or computer speakers an a comuter if you want the slowdoner, I love my setup it's like my own studio.

Im not sure exactly what the above poster is talking about latency, I can tell you my peddalboard and computer are instant on/off lightning quick as far as running EVERYTHING my guitar programs and playing guitar is concerned. Just make sure you aren't using an ancient computer.
Last edited by rushisrighton at Aug 19, 2008,
thanks rushisrighton! that setup seems awesome. definately more than i was looking to spend, but maybe if i find a good deal on a used one ill be set.
Well first, I never liked the rp series. Probably from past experience. I really hate it and the tones are really crappy and fake. Only because it's digitech. (the non xseries are actually good). Plus, you will have to buy the digitech first.
I would recommend getting the toneport. Because you have the pod's fx in gearbox in it and tones are wonder. Don't worry about the latency.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

does the toneport have drum tracks to play along with like the digitech?
Yes but only two i think. Seriously, you dont need jam tracks out of a processor. Because 1. you can get plenty from there, www.guitarbt.com and 2. there are a lot of programs that you can make your own beats. Even better, compose with it.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Quote by jusfuris
isnt firewire just for macs though? i only have a PC

If your PC has a firewire port, you can use.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau