ok so this might be the dumbest question for all the musicians but i just started playing the guitar a little over 3 months ago.Ive composed some Chords together to make a few songs but i dont know how to make a vocal melody that harmonizes with the chords.Some poeple have told me sing 3 notes higher or lower than the chord im playing but i dont get it.

(example Cm chord is ECEGCE.now am i only allowed to sing the notes that the chords have or am i allowed to sing some other notes too??

And what happends if a Dm comes after a Cm??can i sing some of the notes from the Dm while i play Cm??

Im not sure if this is where the questions go on the forum...if not im sorry .
but if someone could please help me understand how this works id appreciate!!!THANKS!!to anyone who can help me!!and if you can give me the dummy verison it would help alot more!!
there are no rules in being creative, music is limitless, just sing good.
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
ECEGCE is C Major. You can sing anything in C major scale on it
Quote by metacarpi
I get called a slut all the time, and I'm a dude.

really you can sing any note you want but normally you would do the root of the chord if you want it to be the same as the chords or you can sing the 3rd or the 5th of the chord or possibly the 7th of the chord witch in the case of c the note would be a B but really its a matter of what sounds good and you need to follow the key signature of the song to know what is sharp or flat of the notes you sing you can compose the vocal melody as a slow solo on the guitar because usually a solo is the guitarist interpretation of the vocal melody with his own feel in it hope i helped and dident boar you or ramble but i probly did
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by selkies
really you can sing any note you want but normally you would do the root of the chord if you want it to be the same as the chords or you can sing the 3rd or the 5th of the chord or possibly the 7th of the chord witch in the case of c the note would be a B but really its a matter of what sounds good and you need to follow the key signature of the song to know what is sharp or flat of the notes you sing you can compose the vocal melody as a slow solo on the guitar because usually a solo is the guitarist interpretation of the vocal melody with his own feel in it hope i helped and dident boar you or ramble but i probly did

the part about the solo being an interpretation of the voc melody depends on what genre you're playing. This is mostly common in slow contemp, or punk.