Hey im a begginner. Ive got a very cheap guitar and cant get alot of notes to sound clean (especially in the higher frets).

Im going to buy a new guitar but dont know much about the different types. Im playing mainly kirk hammett riffs. So my question is what brand would best suit me for that kind of sound, without being ridiculously espensive.

Also a side question... how different are amps specifically made for guitar play than amps that are made for any sort of input (microphone, music etc)
Part of the notes not sounding might just be you. But whats the budget?
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
We need to know a budget, and the things you want on a guitar.

Though personally, I'd recommend a Jackson Dinky.
It's the same shape as the also recommendable ESP KH-202 (Kirk Hammet's signature guitar), has similarly good pickups, and a LFR, just like it. If you're serious about Kirk's sound, go for a KH-606 or KH-2, both over $1000.
They have EMGs, like the Jackson.

From there it's personal preference.

Dinky
KH-202
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Last edited by Justice4AllOne at Aug 19, 2008,
get a jackson randy rhoads or dinky, i would recommend getting them without a floyd rose if you're just begging.
budget is kinda of a necesity.

and what would you want on your guitar?
do you want a really fun whammy? ie a floydd rose (look em up)
do you want 24 frets?
do you want great pickups on it?
do you want to pay 2 million bux on it?
do you want a neck-thru design neck? (makes the notes not fade out after holding them down for a minit and it transfers the strings inertia into the body beter thus a better sound other than bolt on)

go to guitar center and try those 4 things out. for me i love schecters because the wood is great and they typically have 24 frets, can usually get a whammy, most are neck thru, and theyre great for the price wicked pickups most the time and really cool knob tap thingy that divids the humbucker pickups no matter what kind into single coil.

all i recomend is try sum guitars out that are as of 400$ or more because thats where you start see'n some more serius materials and concepts in your guitar. talk to the workers at a guitar shop. theyre probs hired for a reason. as for me ive just been playin for 3 years but know only 90 percent of what im talking to. go to guitar center for that other 10% its worth it.
schecter hellraiser c-1 fr
GAS list...
Mesa roadster with 2/12 recto cab
PGM 301
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels
Quote by Mullen2105
i would recommend getting them without a floyd rose if you're just begging.

+1

i got one with a floyd rose when i just started, n it was a BITCH. get somethin with just a standard bridge so u can experiment easier with alternate tunings.

look up Schechter guitars for the Gryphon. my friend has it. its pretty cheap, plays really well for its price, n the coil tapping features really tite. jackson or ESP wouldn't be bad either.
also, regarding amps:

guitar amps are different because they create tones. that sounds really basic, cuz it is. where a PA or other audio speaker is designed to exactly replicate the sound coming in, an amp lets you change the tone of your guitar to your specifications.
Why has nobody asked what amp he's using?

If your amp is awful, then a new guitar won't make any difference at all. A bad amp will always create a bad sound, no matter how great the guitar is going into it and regardless of who's playing. Even Hendrix would sound awful if he was playing through a Line 6 Spider III...

And also
Quote by xFinnellx

do you want a neck-thru design neck? (makes the notes not fade out after holding them down for a minit and it transfers the strings inertia into the body beter thus a better sound other than bolt on)
In tests, bolt-ons have proven to provide more sustain than any other type of construction. As far as tone goes, it makes no difference; whatever extra wood you get on the neck having full body contact, you have to also take that wood out of the body in the first place. You're not actually gaining contact with a neck-through, all you're doing is making a setneck with even more glue. Neck-throughs have proven to actually be the worst for sustain, dynamic reaction and tonal transfer.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Im in new zealand so dont know what dollar value most of you are talking about. But the entry level electric I have is about $150 and im looking at spending about $1200.

Im not good enough to demand the exact kirk sound but want a guitar thats gonna send me in that direction. I can play the fade to black and sanitarium solos well but cant get good sounds up high (not all of it is my lack of skill im sure).

24 frets not necassary (i dont think)

need good pickups

dont need whammy
ive got boss effects pedals

cheers for the help
Up to $1200?

ESP Kirk Hammett KH-602

The real deal for under $1200.
That's as close to Kirk's sound you can get with a guitar as it gets.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
1,200.00 NZD

=

846.106 USD
New Zealand Dollars United States Dollars
1 NZD = 0.705089 USD 1 USD = 1.41826 NZD

Just thought id help the americans out here
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
dont diss line 6's there not that bad for kids with no cash

lol

but yeh if your that set on buying a new guitar

esp ltd 100

24 frets LFR cheap and cheerful
Quote by Justice4AllOne
Up to $1200?

ESP Kirk Hammett KH-602

The real deal for under $1200.
That's as close to Kirk's sound you can get with a guitar as it gets.

If he's getting a guitar for $1200 he can do a lot better than that.

ESP LTD M-1000. ESP LTD EC-1000.

Or ESP LTD M-400 + new amp.
TS: Look at amps. Any guitar can get a Kirk Hammett sound to it. I've seen a video of him playing an SSS fender through a tiny (microcube sized) practice amp and sounding good.

Just pick a guitar with good fret access, and a comfy neck. The pick ups can be replaced. Then after that (or before), get a new amp of some sort.
Signatures are overrated.
Last edited by Moe. at Aug 19, 2008,
^
+1

MrFlibble, thank you. I tried explaining that on here too, but people thought I was stupid for saying any of it.
Try ESP or Jackson I guess.. Just don't get an Ibanez, sound is too thin for KH. If you're desperate get a gibson, but ESP(or ltd) / Jackson will work for you.
Quote by LordPino
Try ESP or Jackson I guess.. Just don't get an Ibanez, sound is too thin for KH. If you're desperate get a gibson, but ESP(or ltd) / Jackson will work for you.

Lol no.

I play an Ibanex GRX20L, and I can pull a vintage Kirk Hammett tone quite nicely.
Though, that may have a lot to do with my amp (Fender M-80), and the settings I use.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
How about an ESP LTD JH -200 Jeff Hanneman?

Any good for me?
Last edited by jrod w at Aug 20, 2008,
Any thoughts... i have access to a cheapish good condition one of these