Page 1 of 2
Alright, so I'm getting a new amp but the thing is I can't really afford much right now having just paid for school and all that. Even though I'm going to have to cheap out a bit, I don't want to waste my money and buy a complete piece of shi t. I have an Ibanez RG440PL and my style ranges from blues to grunge to metal and everything in between ( I love Frusciante, Tool, Radiohead, Sublime, Blind Melon, Nirvana, The Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, Muse, Dispatch, Iron & Wine, Streetlight Manifesto, Dave Matthews, Black Keys - just to give you a taste of my influences.)

Amps I've looked at are:

Fender Champion 600 5W

Crate V Series V50-112 50W (They have a 5W version of this one as well.)

Epiphone Valve Junior

Gretsch Electromatic G5222 5W 1x6

Blackheart BH-5112 5W 1x12 (Is it worth the price jump?)

SO, basically I'm asking some advice from anyone who has played these amps and can either recommend them or not, and also am looking for other suggestions for amps that may fall within that price range (0 - 200, upwards I could afford but I am not sure if it would be worth it.)

Ps. Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to try out the majority of these amps as they are not at my local guitar shop(no GC in Canada). I'll most likely be ordering online and shipping to an American address .
Help please : - )
Last edited by tona_107 at Aug 19, 2008,
well, i've never heard the blackheart, but i've heard good things about them. but the reviewer said it was really hard to keep a good clean tone. and, if versatility's your game, you're going to want a full set of tone controls. so all the rest are out.
the fender and the epiphone both sound good, but you'll be extremely limited tonally.
i really think it'd be a bit of a waste of money to spend 2-300 and not get an amp that'll get the sounds you need. (not that you'll be going from tool to dave mathews without a pedal or two). but if it sounds good, and you can practice in your dorm, go ahead.
i haven't heard the blackheart, but i know for under 500 you could go with a fender blues jr. 15 watts, full eq, reverb. and i know for sure it sounds good (enough headroom to maintain a clean tone, though you might need a pedal for distortion without cranking it.
alright so anyone else have suggestions? so far I've taken away that a couple of those amps will sound good but will be a waste of money versatility-wise.

any other help suggestions?

(Even with pedals like an eq, overdrive, will I not be able to shape my own sound on these amps, am I going to have to broaden my price range?)
well, for the price of a decent eq pedal, you'll probably be close to a blues jr. within 50 bucks i'd say.
If you look used you can save yourself some money and maybe open up more options?
true. i got my classic 50 for $400. sure, it doesn't sound as good as a fender, but way better than the solid state junk a lot of my friends are using.
True I could look used...At the guitar shop in my city there's a used Traynor ycv40blue , which I would buy in a second but it's about six hundred dollars, and I really can't afford that.

any other ideas?
The traynor should be $450 or bouts on the used market. Maybe they would cut you a deal since it is used?
Quote by gregs1020
The traynor should be $450 or bouts on the used market. Maybe they would cut you a deal since it is used?

I've already asked them if they'd go lower but they're pretty overpriced there as they're pretty much the only shop in town, and amps especially are more expensive in Canada.
blackheart, boss blues driver, EQ pedal, and maybe even an acoustic simulator for the dave stuff
dave matthews might.. just.. be.. god..

Quote by gregs1020
yes, pointing it at your head will send the sound towards your head.

it's the same with guns too, before you go testing that one.
Quote by uncboy19
blackheart, boss blues driver, EQ pedal, and maybe even an acoustic simulator for the dave stuff

Will that give me enough gain?

And what do you guys think of the Vox and Crate that I posted.
Any ideas guys?

I'm sorry for bumping guys, I didn't know it was against the rules...once again I'm sorry, but I just want some help.
Last edited by tona_107 at Aug 19, 2008,
I liked the V18, the 212 seems like overkill - crate should have put a second channel in or an effects loop instead of the extra speaker. Good cleans, very good imo, and has enough gain for classic rock.
I have not tried the Vox you listed so obviously I can't comment. But its a hybrid. Can you try these?
Quote by gregs1020
I liked the V18, the 212 seems like overkill - crate should have put a second channel in or an effects loop instead of the extra speaker. Good cleans, very good imo, and has enough gain for classic rock.
I have not tried the Vox you listed so obviously I can't comment. But its a hybrid. Can you try these?

I doubt I'll be able to try them, my local store basically only has fender, marshall, line 6, and traynor.

So the 2x12 is not worth the extra 30 bucks? And would YOU buy the V18? I'm sure it's good, but is it worth the buy?
Quote by tona_107
I doubt I'll be able to try them, my local store basically only has fender, marshall, line 6, and traynor.

So the 2x12 is not worth the extra 30 bucks? And would YOU buy the V18? I'm sure it's good, but is it worth the buy?

Well I almost did, that was when they were $329. Had I not found my Vibroverb I would have. And now I would be pissed off because they are $149? Yea, I just don't see the point of the 212, it only makes it more expensive to upgrade speakers and weighs a bit more. Some prefer 2 speakers though, generally - I'm not one of those people. As long as you can return it if you don't like it, it's worth a shot. As long as you CAN return it IF you don't like it. Can't stress that enough.
Quote by gregs1020
Well I almost did, that was when they were $329. Had I not found my Vibroverb I would have. And now I would be pissed off because they are $149? Yea, I just don't see the point of the 212, it only makes it more expensive to upgrade speakers and weighs a bit more. Some prefer 2 speakers though, generally - I'm not one of those people. As long as you can return it if you don't like it, it's worth a shot. As long as you CAN return it IF you don't like it. Can't stress that enough.

alright thanks a lot man, can anyone else recommend, or discourage me from the crate? or offer some other advice.
The Crate's are fine amps, especially for the price. The Vox is kinda fun but it doesn't really compare to a tube amp. There isn't a huge difference betweent the 112 and 212 tonally and I think you should get the 112. Put the extra money towards an od to boost it or an eq.
most of the other amps i would have brought up already have been....i support the crate as well...especially at these current prices.

makes you wonder how long it will last and if Crate will be able to keep up with demand.

ah alright thanks a lot guys.
I should definitely be shelling out the extra 50 bucks and getting the 18W right?

also what will i need to get me a high gain metal distortion? i've heard that distortion pedals are a big faux pas on tube amps, and i'm looking to be able to get tool, coheed, and protest levels of gain.
well, i don't know disti pedals well but maybe a Big Muff? Usually people will say, and I agree, that you really only need an Overdrive pedal. I think it was acdcrocks that had some clips of the V16 that had nice distortion and i believe it was stock with no pedals. Tool shouldn't be problem and I'm not familiar with the other two sound wise.

yes, i think $149 for the V18 is a great deal.

good luck
well, as distortion goes, it depends on the gain you'd get out of the amp alone. as for pedals, it'd be hard to go wrong with a big muff. of course, that's a fuzz, and might not be what you're going for. tube screamers are nice.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
well, i don't know disti pedals well but maybe a Big Muff? Usually people will say, and I agree, that you really only need an Overdrive pedal. I think it was acdcrocks that had some clips of the V16 that had nice distortion and i believe it was stock with no pedals. Tool shouldn't be problem and I'm not familiar with the other two sound wise.

yes, i think $149 for the V18 is a great deal.

good luck

I don't think the v16 is the same type of amp...it's a palomino and the v18 is part of the v series.

Also what overdrive should I be looking at? I've heard good things from the tubescreamer(not sure which version i would go with the ts808, the ts9, or the ts9dx ...i'm not sure what the differences are), the jekyll and hyde, boss blues driver, and the boss os-2
anyone have an opinion on an overdrive that I'd like? i'll probably have to order it with my amp cause pedals are like 250 here. would a bad monkey be able to get me the levels of distortion i would like? because it's only fifty bucks and it would be nice to be able to settle there.
funny, I thought I responded earlier but I guess not. Yes the V16 and 18 are different but not by that much. Link I spoke of was closest I had at time. Many folks and tone freaks will say get the TS808 or a modded one before the 9 or 7. I'm perfectly happy with my Bad Monkey and it is based off of these to so on a budget $50 is hard to beat. If you have more cash get a better one. There are others too so bump for ya.
i'm personally against buying anything made by digitech. even a boss blues driver would be better than that.
Quote by gonzosrevenge55
i'm personally against buying anything made by digitech. even a boss blues driver would be better than that.

why's that?

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
funny, I thought I responded earlier but I guess not. Yes the V16 and 18 are different but not by that much. Link I spoke of was closest I had at time. Many folks and tone freaks will say get the TS808 or a modded one before the 9 or 7. I'm perfectly happy with my Bad Monkey and it is based off of these to so on a budget $50 is hard to beat. If you have more cash get a better one. There are others too so bump for ya.

it sucks because the ts808 is more expensive than the amp, so i doubt i'll go for that. so i guess i'm looking at the ts9, and the bad monkey at this point. can anyone discourage me or recommend me an overdrive suiting my wants/needs under 100$. (would a blues driver be able to do it?)
Last edited by tona_107 at Aug 22, 2008,
I think a Blues Driver will do it. When I used the stock MIM Pickups with my BD-2 it could do hard rock like those bands fine. The Blues Driver is a cool OD, the gain from 9oclock and under sound like and OD then past 9 it gets more distortion like, but still has OD characteristics.

When I posted the amp in your other thread I thought by hard rock you would mean like Zeppelin or AC/DC, not the bands you posted (though they are probably more hard rock). Either wasy I think a Blues jr. with a OD will sound good, or if you can still find those Palominos they had quiet a bit of gain alone.
Quote by Wylde_Life
I think a Blues Driver will do it. When I used the stock MIM Pickups with my BD-2 it could do hard rock like those bands fine. The Blues Driver is a cool OD, the gain from 9oclock and under sound like and OD then past 9 it gets more distortion like, but still has OD characteristics.

When I posted the amp in your other thread I thought by hard rock you would mean like Zeppelin or AC/DC, not the bands you posted (though they are probably more hard rock). Either wasy I think a Blues jr. with a OD will sound good, or if you can still find those Palominos they had quiet a bit of gain alone.

While I'm sure I will use to to get Zep gain, but I do want to be able to reach higher levels as well. As long as you think i can.
And I know the ds-1 is a completely different beast, as it's distortion not overdrive, but should i definitely be going towards an od not a distortion? I've heard a lot of different things that I'm not really sure on, like that I should be going for an od, not a distortion, and I'm not really sure why.

btw the other thread wasn't mine haha.
well, if you want to get real heavy gain, i reccomend the metal muff. it's a hundred bucks, really low noise, and has a switch for lead stuff, too. for metallica, i don't think a blues driver will do the trick.
while i don't mind the blues driver, most of the boss distortions haven't done it for me. the metal zone is noisy and squealy and sounds too 80's for my taste, the ds1 doesn't cut it for me tonally.
pretty much every pedal i own (outside the sonic stomp and compressor) are made by electro harmonix. the basic stuff is reasonably priced, and it's all true bypass. try out a metal muff and a big muff. the big muff might be more up your alley, and it'd be about $80.
Quote by gonzosrevenge55
well, if you want to get real heavy gain, i reccomend the metal muff. it's a hundred bucks, really low noise, and has a switch for lead stuff, too. for metallica, i don't think a blues driver will do the trick.
while i don't mind the blues driver, most of the boss distortions haven't done it for me. the metal zone is noisy and squealy and sounds too 80's for my taste, the ds1 doesn't cut it for me tonally.
pretty much every pedal i own (outside the sonic stomp and compressor) are made by electro harmonix. the basic stuff is reasonably priced, and it's all true bypass. try out a metal muff and a big muff. the big muff might be more up your alley, and it'd be about $80.

that's a fuzz though right.. not dist or od? so do you guys think that i'll be able to hit up to tool with a big muff.
so big muff over a tube screamer? they're about the same in price.
Last edited by tona_107 at Aug 22, 2008,
hi guys really quick question, i won't be able to get metal (tool) out of a blackheart without a pedal as well right?

also i still need advice on how to hit that high gain i'm looking for.

thanks.
ah, i forgot about the guvnor. not a bad pedal. if the metal muff's too heavy, but the od's too light, that might do the job. i think marshall makes one called the jackhammer that's also pretty good. a buddy and i once set up a guitar into a jackhammer, into a guvnor, into the amp. it sounded intense.
anyway, what a fuzz does physically is an exaggerated version of distortion. just more severe clipping. but overall, they generally sound warm, fat, and smooth. and you'll have a ton of fun with the sustain. even if you do get a different pedal, i think a good fuzz (and the big muff is still my favorite, even over a $350 woolly mammoth) should be in anyone's arsenal.
Quote by gonzosrevenge55
ah, i forgot about the guvnor. not a bad pedal. if the metal muff's too heavy, but the od's too light, that might do the job. i think marshall makes one called the jackhammer that's also pretty good. a buddy and i once set up a guitar into a jackhammer, into a guvnor, into the amp. it sounded intense.
anyway, what a fuzz does physically is an exaggerated version of distortion. just more severe clipping. but overall, they generally sound warm, fat, and smooth. and you'll have a ton of fun with the sustain. even if you do get a different pedal, i think a good fuzz (and the big muff is still my favorite, even over a $350 woolly mammoth) should be in anyone's arsenal.

thanks a lot bud. so i'll be able to hit tool and other metal with a guv'nor? or no.
been awhile since i heard the thing, so i can't say that it would have the same character as the distortion tool gets. but i think it should get a tone you'll be happy with. it's got some balls, but it retains a decent tone (keep in mind i haven't heard one on over a year). but definitely try one out.
Page 1 of 2