I'm having problems with finding the key of a song. I've tried reading lessons and trying but I still can't figure them out, unless the key signature is there. But if it's not there, there's no way I can find it myself.

First, do I have to consider accidentals? Or do I just check the note that it is on my fretboard, and I just take it like that? And hum what are the possibilities for keys, does it just stay in major or minor, or are they basicly scales?

I've been trying to figure out the key of Children of Bodom(the song) with the opening riff but the accidentals in there are bugging me. If anyone could help me with this song as an example it would be great. Thanks.

Edit: And about chord progressions, how do you basicly figure it out? And when people speak about the root note being the one you resolve around, what does it basicly mean? Like does the root note have to be in there, or do you use it differently then others(more frequently, etc)?

I'm sorry that's a lot of questions but yeah it's been really bugging me lately.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at Aug 19, 2008,
Probably won't be too helpful, but....I suck at finding keys. But I just start with a scale and play along with a song while it goes (have my guitar plugged in and on a clean setting, or lightly distorted). I'll play in a certain key for a few seconds and if it doesn't sound right, change the key. If absolutely no key works, I change scales.
Guitar Player Since April 12th, 2005.
Guitar of Choice: Schecter S-1 Elite
Proud of His Two Warnings
If it's chords you can check all the notes in the chords and then see which key every note fits in to. I guess you do the same with solos etc. see what notes you play and check which key they fit into
Well that doesn't help me at all... Can't you give me an example with the song I gave(Children of Bodom). I read a LOT of lessons on how to figure those out but it's always badly explained, or it needs basic understanding of theory, which isn't really something I have.

I do NOT know how to find a progression, or the key for that matter. UG is really helpful when it comes to theory and all, but I strongly feel like the "beginning of the whole thing" is lacking.

Could anyone please just give me an example out of the song? Nothing more then; these notes are in the X chord, these ones are in Y, therefore the progression is X, Y, and the key is X(X and Y being variables of course). Heck if you can do with ANY song it would help, as long as it's understandable for someone with no theory background.

Edit: If you could even add me on MSN, then it probably be much more simple. If you're interested in helping out, my address is basicly my UG name with @hotmail.com. Thanks.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at Aug 19, 2008,
The actual key of the song is in D minor, but if you think about it in the retarded way that 99.9% of guitarists do, it's considered E minor. In the majority of metal songs, you can base the key off of the 6th string tuning alone, since that is the note that is chugged the most or whatever. Check out this website: http://musictheory.net/
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RGA121
Vetta II HD
Quote by AbstractDeth7X
The actual key of the song is in D minor, but if you think about it in the retarded way that 99.9% of guitarists do, it's considered E minor. In the majority of metal songs, you can base the key off of the 6th string tuning alone, since that is the note that is chugged the most or whatever. Check out this website: http://musictheory.net/

Well thanks for trying to help, but giving me only the answer won't help. I need to know HOW to find it aswell. If I know this particular song is in D minor, it won't help me knowing what another one is in. The best would be for someone to take a piece of tab, write what notes they are and tell me how you can get to knowing the key and chord progression just by knowing the notes you are playing. How to you get to the conclusion that a song is in a specific key? That's what I don't get.

And what are the actual possibilities for keys? Like are they always minor or major, or are they basicly scales/modes?

Edit: I can understand how you get the key with the key signature, but most of the time it's not there, so yeah I need to find some other way.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.