Hey guys i really wanna start soloing and soloing over the same pentatonic and the dorian scale gets very boring very quick. Can you guys recommend me some scales to learn, a UG lesson for scales, a site for scales, or some other improv lead ideas.

If this didnt make sence im sorry lol. Its 4AM over here.
There are no boring scales, only boring players. Instead of worrying about the scale you're using you should think about how it is you're actually using that scale. Are you using interesting intervals to get the sound you want and moving around the fretboard fluidly , or are you just mechanically following the patterns up and down?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Steven's right, there's so much more to composing a solo than just widdling up and down scales.

I find that composing a melody usually starts out as either a tune in my head or a result of experimentation.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, only boring players. Instead of worrying about the scale you're using you should think about how it is you're actually using that scale. Are you using interesting intervals to get the sound you want and moving around the fretboard fluidly , or are you just mechanically following the patterns up and down?

Actually I just need more material to work with.
I do a geat job on improv, its fluid, sounds great and most of all i have alot of fun with it. I just think that it would be more unique if I threw in some more scales.

I dont noob my way up and down the scales.
Last edited by Cryptorchild at Aug 19, 2008,
Quote by Cryptorchild
Actually I just need more material to work with.
I do a geat job on improv, its fluid, sounds great and most of all i have alot of fun with it. I just think that it would be more unique if I threw in some more scales.

I dont noob my way up and down the scales.

It's not as simple as "throwing in more scales". The scale you use will be determined by the underlying harmony. What you need to do is learn the major scale inside and out, all over the fretboard, in every key, as well as the theory behind it.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
It's not as simple as "throwing in more scales". The scale you use will be determined by the underlying harmony. What you need to do is learn the major scale inside and out, all over the fretboard, in every key, as well as the theory behind it.

I was just simplifying it.
I really like playing guitar more than i like typing about it