I was at school one day and we're talkin about hendrix rite? then one of my friends says "he's black?" and then i'm out to slap him. Then my other friend jus comes out and says "he was white before he bcame and adult". Now i know Hendrix is not totally black, he has sum native american roots. But really, "he's black?"
What does the color of ones skin have anything to do with music =p ?
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.

EDIT: Learn the English Language, please. I don't quite understand what it is that you are saying.
His dad was white and his mom was black. There was some Native American mixed in there too but not a lot and I don't know which side it was from.

Edit: The only reason I see it being relevant at all is because I've had more than 1 black person tell me that I can never "get" Hendrix because I'm white and white people just can't understand.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Aug 19, 2008,
Whether he is black or white he is still the greatest guitarist ever.
no his dad and mother were both black not that it is really relevant to his music
I'd **** her so hard, even if she was a decomposing corpse... and I'd just dug her up... damn that'd be hot.
Quote by Buster69
no his dad and mother were both black not that it is really relevant to his music

Thats not what the BBC documentary of him said that they played on TV here a few months ago.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
Thats not what the BBC documentary of him said that they played on TV here a few months ago.

Then BBC is full of ****
I'd **** her so hard, even if she was a decomposing corpse... and I'd just dug her up... damn that'd be hot.
Quote by Buster69
Then BBC is full of ****

Full of **** they may be, they are correct and you are wrong. lol.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
Full of **** they may be, they are correct and you are wrong. lol.

Uh..NO, the BBC is full of s!t...unless Al Hendrix can do a reverse Downey. It's cool to romanticize sh!t when yu don't want to deal with where it comes from.
Al Hendrix has the nicest tan, I've ever seen on a white guy.

John Allen Hendrix was BLACK. Onlythings mixed were possibly the drugs that killed him
GEAR:

Gretsch 5120 Anniversary Ed.
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Mann 2350CS (Les Paul Copy)
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w
Line 6 Spider III 15W (Hey, I jam in my living room...)
Quote by Dav23
Uh..NO, the BBC is full of s!t...unless Al Hendrix can do a reverse Downey. It's cool to romanticize sh!t when yu don't want to deal with where it comes from.
Al Hendrix has the nicest tan, I've ever seen on a white guy.

John Allen Hendrix was BLACK. Onlythings mixed were possibly the drugs that killed him

ok, corrected

thats the trouble - theres so much crap flying around about jimi hendrix that nobody really knows the truth anymore. I have a book that says his full name is "james marshall hendricks"
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

He was given the name Johnny Allen Hendrix at birth, his father renamed him James Marshall Hendrix a few years down the line after his brother. Jimi is a shortened version of James which is where that came from. SORTED!
Quote by Blompcube
ok, corrected

thats the trouble - theres so much crap flying around about jimi hendrix that nobody really knows the truth anymore. I have a book that says his full name is "james marshall hendricks"

Jimi lied alot. He told people that James Marshall was his full name. Lied about his military service too. He's one of the reasons I play geetar but dude didn't like alot about himself.
GEAR:

Ibanez Artcore AS73
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Quote by JackalUK
He was given the name Johnny Allen Hendrix at birth, his father renamed him James Marshall Hendrix a few years down the line after his brother. Jimi is a shortened version of James which is where that came from. SORTED!

yeah, i kinda guessed the James part made sense. I thought the "Marshall" thing could just as easily have been some publisher saying "oh he used a Marshall amp so i'll just put some kind of fake connection in there and people will believe it..."

Quote by Blompcube
yeah, i kinda guessed the James part made sense. I thought the "Marshall" thing could just as easily have been some publisher saying "oh he used a Marshall amp so i'll just put some kind of fake connection in there and people will believe it..."

It seems he's born and legall John Allen. His uncle James Marshall died. Al "re-named" James Marhall to honor him. As someone who is also named James, I'm aware that is the shortened version.

edit-Just checked, James is "Al's" full first name James Allen. Leon Marshall is his brother that died.

Who cares? John Allen James Jimi "Buster" Jeebus WIth A Guitar Hendrix, ROCKED!
GEAR:

Ibanez Artcore AS73
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Last edited by Dav23 at Aug 19, 2008,
Quote by Lauri
Whether he is black or white he is still the greatest guitarist ever.

Nah, I really wouldn't say 'greatest'. More 'influential' than 'greatest'.

But who really cares? People said Madonna was black before they saw her videos in the 80s. So yeah, does it matter?
Cam Sampbell's my hero
he's a guitarist ??????????,
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I didn't know he was black until I saw a video. Big deal?
Signatures are overrated.
Its an commen mistake. Hey i thought mick jagger was black when i first saw rolling stones, but the video was such bad quality that they all looked black.
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
I can't believe anyone would be having this discussion anyway...

Hey, youre cute! I like youre song. I think you sould just name it "Beautiful" though. I see what youre getting at with the "chaos" part, but it still doesnt really fit to me.

Anyhow...

Yeah, this discussion. Jimi was black. His dad was black. Most of the guitar heros of today and recent history cite many a black guitarist as one of their influences. Jimi was just one of many great black guitar artist. SHOCKER!!!! (not really...at least it shouldnt be...)
I thought he was hispanic ???

Nah seriously, many people don't know until they see.
It's not that much of a stretch, nowadays black guitarists are scarce, so modern people would think he was white (not knowing that blues has many black guitarists).
Etc etc?
I know something. Why don't you stop argueing about his skin colour and start argueing about his guitar's colour. Was THAT guitar black or white? C'mon, get a life. Start helping out noobies with their guitar problems, stop racism.
Start helping out noobies with their guitar problems, stop racism.

How the hell is talking about his skin colour racist. Please, elaborate.
Call me Batman.
Quote by LordPino
I know something. Why don't you stop argueing about his skin colour and start argueing about his guitar's colour. Was THAT guitar black or white? C'mon, get a life. Start helping out noobies with their guitar problems, stop racism.

Sad and funny at the same time...
GEAR:

Ibanez Artcore AS73
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
My friends didn't know who Jimi Hendrix was...so...
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Are we talking about Jimi Hendrix or Michael Jackson?

For my part he wasn't the greatest but possibly the first true guitar god/idol/virtuoso.
But just as they say 'If I see further it is because I stand on the shoulders of giants' so too the Matt Bellamys and Kirk Hammetts are better because of the influence Hendrix had on those who came after him.
Quote by lukeuh36azabc
lol black people...
You got something against black people or something?

Anyways, to contribute to the thread, most people are gonna think he was white because he played rock. Let's face it. There's black music and then there's white music, but occasionally there's some people like Jimi Hendrix and Slash who are black and play rock(And are damn good at it too!). The only thing that matters though is that he was a great guitarist;not what color his skin was.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Quote by Moe.
I didn't know he was black until I saw a video. Big deal?

I didn't know he was black until I saw a video, [seeing his skin color] either.

Unless you've seen the guy in video, photo, or in person or researched him, I don't expect you to know the ethnicity of ANYBODY, except maybe Martin Luther King Jr. You should know a little about him before they teach you in whatever elementary grade they teach you in.
As posted above I think people don't really realize that Hendrix was black because there aren't many famous black guitarists anymore, I don't mean to sound racist, some of the best guitar players ever were/ are black. But today there just aren't that many of them and even the real legends or the blues are forgotten because kids don't listen to the older blues anymore, Hendrix is just a name that really anyone into rock music regards as great, but when they think great guitarist, they think of today's greats and sadly there isn't many african americans playing guitar at the professional level.

What does it matter if he is black, so is/was BB King and Muddy Waters, they are just among those that todays music fans (not guitarists, because most guitarists will know those names) have forgotten. The only real examples of todays black guitar legends I can think of are Tom Morrello and Slash.
Meh and?

I used to have a poster of Jimmy Page on my wall and my friend thought he was Hendrix.

Who cares anyway?
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08