Im looking at some EMGs (81 and a 60)

One of the guitarists at my school recently upgraded his pickups and he said get the zack wylde ones... But to me it just looks like your paying $200 extra for an EMG 81 + 89 combo.

I tried to explain that to him but he just laughed. He said dont get any EMGs, especially an EMG 60, unless there in the hundreds range... I kinda stared at him for a second (He wasn't referring to the price but the pickup itself...)... He also owns a line6 spider...

Anyway i am looking for a good pickup that can do metal and get some decent enough clean tones. Suggestions?
not sure about clean tones but, two of my favourite guitarists, Alexi Laiho (Children Of Bodom) & Dino Cazares (Divine Heresy) use Seymour Duncan Blackouts, i wouldnt mind getting one myself

I use EMG 81 & 85 atm, i think they're fairly amazing, although i wish i had a better amp (Peavey Bandit atm, starting to look at Randall =] ) & maybe some effects, but i still love 'em
kirk hammett uses the EMG81 and 80. they are active pickups. tried them in a store, AWESOME!
Gear
-----
Ibanez SA-S32 FMTL
Engl Screamer Head
Engl SS412 V60 Celestion
Engl Z5 Footswitch
Ibanez Delay
BOSS MegaDistortion
I think I, along with most people here, would not recommend passive Zakk Wylde EMGs. Idk about the EMG 60 but i know the 81/85 combo is really popular. I know some of the new schecters come with EMG 81tw/89 pickups, both of which come with a coil tap ability for better cleans.
I'm backing the EMG and Seymour Duncans from personal experience.

I've heard DiMarzio's do pretty well, but don't quote me on that... I'm an EMG purist =)
Send this to you my master...
Here's to getting worse,
hope it kills you faster...
Show me how it hurts to rot from the inside out...
This vigil burns until the day our fires over take you,
Our father we forsake you.
Quote by _-Joey-_
not sure about clean tones but, two of my favourite guitarists, Alexi Laiho (Children Of Bodom) & Dino Cazares (Divine Heresy) use Seymour Duncan Blackouts, i wouldnt mind getting one myself

I use EMG 81 & 85 atm, i think they're fairly amazing, although i wish i had a better amp (Peavey Bandit atm, starting to look at Randall =] ) & maybe some effects, but i still love 'em

How good is your lead tone with the 81 and 85? A good lead tone i pretty important...

Anyway to get rid of a few standerd questions that pop up in every thread i post here...

Amp: A lesser known company called aXl. I have the 100w Rapture. It sounds good for a SS but the problem is my bridge pickup is to thin and weak and my neck pickup is very muddy.

Genre/Tone: I listen to almost anything but i play mostly metal. A good distortion tone is important. However i also like to have a good clean tone at my disposal.

I dont use any effects pedals.
Quote by Final !mpact
How good is your lead tone with the 81 and 85? A good lead tone i pretty important...

i think my lead tone is great, although i would like a better amp, but even with this, i still love it
the 81/85 combo is by far the best.

theyre clearly different pickups and you can hear the difference.

the best thing about the 85 in the neck is, it clear, and not like other neck pickups where it sounds way too bassy or muffled.
Quote by xxXshredderXxx
the 81/85 combo is by far the best.

theyre clearly different pickups and you can hear the difference.

the best thing about the 85 in the neck is, it clear, and not like other neck pickups where it sounds way too bassy or muffled.

Ok thanks.

ANy other non EMG suggestions?
Lace Drop & Gain
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
If you have a solid state amp then you don't want active pickups.

Look at some Dimarzios, something relatively high output with a ceramic magnet in the bridge, moderate output alnico 5 in the neck. Also, what guitar are they going in - body wood is a factor too.

And yes, the Zakk Wylde set is just a bog standard 81/89 set with a free pick and a set of long shaft pots....your friend knows nothing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 19, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
If you have a solid state amp then you don't want active pickups.

Look at some Dimarzios, something relatively high output with a ceramic magnet in the bridge, moderate output alnico 5 in the neck. Also, what guitar are they going in - body wood is a factor too.

And yes, the Zakk Wylde set is just a bog standard 81/89 set with a free pick and a set of long shaft pots....your friend knows nothing.

Why are active pickups bad with SS amps? The guy i know is using them with a Spider and his tone sounds pretty good (Very digital but not bad...)

Its made of Basswood and has a maple neck.
Price range?

EMG 81/60
EMG 81/85
BKP Warpig
BKP Nailbomb
SD Blackouts

There are tons..
Quote by Final !mpact
Why are active pickups bad with SS amps? The guy i know is using them with a Spider and his tone sounds pretty good (Very digital but not bad...)

Its made of Basswood and has a maple neck.

Quite simply they don't really "do" much of anything on a solid state amp, they're designed to push a tube amp into overdrive sooner, if you have no tubes then they obviuously can't do that. They do even less on a digital amp like the Spider.

If you have a basswood guitar then you want something with a bit of character to liven things up a bit. Stick a Dimarzio Breed in the neck, and for the bridge either another Breed if you want fat, chunky tones or a D-Sonic if you want a more evenly Eq'd tone that sounds a little more clinical and less organic.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

i used to put 81's in every one of my guitars but then i ended up discovering how good passives can be. A lot of people that go to active... like myself in the past.. never had a good passive. If the 81 was a little thicker id like it better.
Quote by steven seagull
Quite simply they don't really "do" much of anything on a solid state amp, they're designed to push a tube amp into overdrive sooner, if you have no tubes then they obviuously can't do that. They do even less on a digital amp like the Spider.

If you have a basswood guitar then you want something with a bit of character to liven things up a bit. Stick a Dimarzio Breed in the neck, and for the bridge either another Breed if you want fat, chunky tones or a D-Sonic if you want a more evenly Eq'd tone that sounds a little more clinical and less organic.

Ah thank you! I dont think im going to be taking any more advice from that guy
Actives could "improve" the tone of something like a Spider, but for different reasons. Digital modelling amps take your guitar signal, convert to digital and then process it to give you your sound. That's why pedals don't work with them, you're essentially giving the processor a corrupted signal to work with and things tend to go a bit screwy. One thing you will get from EMGs is a strong signal with very little noise or interference.

However it tends to be one thing or the other, you either want them for that clarity and consistency of signal, for example if you use a lot of effects. Or you want them to drive your amp harder and maintain clarity under distortion due to the low noise levels - on a solid state amp they have a tendency to just push it into nasty clipping. For any other applications you tend to be better off with passive pickups.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

pickups do matter on solid state amps. I know everyone claims they don't but a muddy stock pickup vs an emg... eh
I used to have an LP copy with EMG 81T and 60R. I put them in myself and they sounded real good in many genres. I like playing clean and dirty and I enjoyed the pups.

When I got my custom axe made I opted to go back to passives but still want the sound of the EMGS so I got DiMarzio D'activators. They're pretty close to the EMG 81 sound but with the nuances and harmonics of the passives. Really nice pups and I found that they're good with SS amps.
I dropped a Blackouts Metal (bridge) and an EMG89 in an old Gibson beater of mine a few weeks ago and it's unbelievable. The Blackouts Metal makes my 707s sound dildos.
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme
BC Rich Wave
BC Rich Virgin 7-string (w EMG 707s)
Parker Fly Deluxe Hardtail
Gibson Sonex (Blackouts Metal and EMG 89)

Guitar Rig
Ableton Live