hi i am fairly new at guitar and am wondering where the best source is to learn how to play scales. i have a book called Total Scales Techniques and Applications. but i'm wondering if that's the best source to learn from. Thanks.
Sounds good to me, I use Ultimate Scale Book by Troy Stetina
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by hazmatac
hi i am fairly new at guitar and am wondering where the best source is to learn how to play scales. i have a book called Total Scales Techniques and Applications. but i'm wondering if that's the best source to learn from. Thanks.

Learning to play scales isn't particularly important, learning to use them is what matters.

Read the Crusade articles by Josh Urban in the columns section to get a better idea of what I mean.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Learn the Major Scale. (You can find it everywhere on the net)

Then learn it ALL over the neck.

Then memorise the Major Scale starting from every note all up the neck.

Then you have already learnt 7 Modes.
GUITAR!!!!!
It depends how you want to approach it. I found that starting from the C Major scale

C D E F G A B C

And figuring it out all over the neck instead of reading it from a book. It really helps you learn where all the notes on your guitar are as well. Ok, yes, I know, it takes alot longer to do, but it helps you improve in terms of Neck-Knowledge and theory in the long run.

When you've figured that out, if you wanna play, in for instance, A Major, you just have to move the shapes you've learnt. That way you have the Major scale anywhere.

THEN by starting on different notes other than the Root, you can get all the different modes. This way you've really helped out your theory and guitar improvisation instead of referring to a book all the time.

But that's just my way of doing it. *shrug*
GUITAR!!!!!
Quote by BHD
Learn the Major Scale. (You can find it everywhere on the net)

Then learn it ALL over the neck.

Then memorise the Major Scale starting from every note all up the neck.

Then you have already learnt 7 Modes.

Modes are quite distinct from the major scale. They are not just patterns.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.