Iv'e being practicing my improvisation around the pentatonic scale and have learned it in every form around the neck, not the box you just learn in the beggining. Only question is, how do I use all these boxes together and how can I thus come up with new licks?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
you mean the you learned all 5 boxes in combination? that's great, so you have use them in the right key. when a backing track is in C, then you can start with the first box at the 8th fret.
Gear
-----
Ibanez SA-S32 FMTL
Engl Screamer Head
Engl SS412 V60 Celestion
Engl Z5 Footswitch
Ibanez Delay
BOSS MegaDistortion
gratz... now you're better than the guy from blink 182.-... anyway... 0 fret for e 3 fret for g, 5 fret for a etc... (i might be wring but that's the way it is as far as i know)
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Quote by turtlewax
Iv'e being practicing my improvisation around the pentatonic scale and have learned it in every form around the neck, not the box you just learn in the beggining. Only question is, how do I use all these boxes together and how can I thus come up with new licks?

Forget the boxes, forget the patterns and instead start thinking of the notes and intervals they contain and the sounds they make.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Forget the boxes, forget the patterns and instead start thinking of the notes and intervals they contain and the sounds they make.

Wise words from a seagull
RULE BRITANNIA
Now you can be famous.

But yeah, you've got two options:

- Just learn to get a feel of the guitar and play as you feel, just like a lot of blues artists.

- Learn the theory of scales and notes and all that jazz.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I never stick to scales. I play whatever sounds good( start the solo/melody at the C note when there is a C backing track, I 'make up' my own scales.) sometimes a Cminor scale sounds better on a C backing track than a regular C scale. Just play whatever sounds pretty nice, that's how I do it.
Why a C backing track? I can play in any key by shifting along. Plus if you play a Gminor pentatonic and drop 3 frets your playing gmajor pentatonic...
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
now learn some theory so you know WHY what you're doing is working
Quote by Kurapica
Now you can be famous.

But yeah, you've got two options:

- Just learn to get a feel of the guitar and play as you feel, just like a lot of blues artists.

- Learn the theory of scales and notes and all that jazz.

or both

oh yeah and to play in the right key, learn the roots of the scale and where they are in the pattern and just play a pattern so that the roots are on the note you want (like C.) Most people go by the low E string root, so that they are in pattern 1, which is the most commonly used box. I usually use a mix of pattern 1, 2, and 4, and just use 3 and 5 as quick passing notes to make a smooth transition to the next pattern.
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
Last edited by guitarplaya322 at Aug 20, 2008,