Do you guys get finger infections from ingrown fingernails?

I get these pretty often, and they usually hurt like a bitch until they get big enough for me to pop. Then the pain subsides. I usually play through the pain though.

My questions are...

what is causing this infection? could it be the constant pressure I put my fingers under in my bass playing?

Will this ever get serious enough to deter my playing abilities?

And how do I prevent the infection?

Here's a pic I took while popping it right now on my phone camera (sorry for the quality)

Gross dude. Wash your hands more often and maybe your fingers wouldn't get infected.
Peepee on yo tittays
clean the strings too, they get dusty and if it's humid enough a little rust will form up on them which is definitely not good.

I used to get ingrown toe nails but I got them surgically removed. Not fun.

soaking in hot water with Epsom salt might help stop infection
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
Last edited by MetalMegaMan at Aug 19, 2008,
Quote by Better
chop your arm off

you could also try this to stop infection.

it also might get infected so probably not the best way...
If you bite your nails, stop.
Some people may call me tasteless, but i personally think Rickenbackers are the ugliest basses to ever land on this earth.
Quote by MetalMegaMan
clean the strings too, they get dusty and if it's humid enough a little rust will form up on them which is definitely not good.

I used to get ingrown toe nails but I got them surgically removed. Not fun.

soaking in hot water with Epsom salt might help stop infection

This would work, but it hurts like hell.
Quote by fretsonfire74
This would work, but it hurts like hell.

+10

when i was a wee lad my mom stuck my foot in a pot that was previously on the stove BOILING, it worked though.
I do keep my fingers and my basses very clean, so I don't think hygiene is a problem here guys...

I keep my nails really short though, because I don't want that clanky nail-hitting-the-strings-sound in my bass playing. My playing is percussive enough as it is. lol. And I never bite my nails unless it's an emergency (like having a semi-long nail right before a gig that I forgot to clip).
Ingrown nails are a real pain but by popping the abscess you're not really achieving anything. It is getting infected because the ingrown nail breaks the skin and dirt gets in and stays there, no matter how much you try to clean it. In reality all you are doing by popping the abscess is to open it up to more nastiness.

I had a toenail removed because it got very bad but it grew back ingrown. When this happened I applied liberal amounts of antiseptic to avoid an infection returning and this seemed to do the job. In your situation though you do need to see a doctor, don't leave a recurring infection or it could get bad. The doctor will sort out the ingrown nail and can offer you advice on avoiding having it become ingrown again.
Another way to prevent it is to cut your nails straight across instead of naturally curved
Quote by ai4281
I keep my nails really short though, because I don't want that clanky nail-hitting-the-strings-sound in my bass playing. My playing is percussive enough as it is. lol. And I never bite my nails unless it's an emergency (like having a semi-long nail right before a gig that I forgot to clip).

There's a good chance that you are cutting your nails incorrectly which is causing them to become ingrown. Cut them straight, not rounded.
yea, see a doctor, and as an alternative to the hot water and epson salt, get some of that rubbing alcohol that has epson salt in it (it's like greenish) and dab a little of that on there. it burns like hell, but it works. I had and ulcer on my lip (damn braces) that got infected and wouldn't go away. I dipped a q-tip in it and pushed it on the ulcer and it was gone it like two days.