i was wondering if i could make a thread about guitar magazine's , where we can discuss the features in the magazine.
i already have the september issue of 'Guitar Techniques' and it contains 2 transcriptions : Shawn Lane -Get You Back and Gary Moore and BB King - Since I Met You Baby.
-20 cool Blues turnarounds
9 awesome jazz licks based on the playing style of pianist Bill Evans.
etc....

can we do this?
or would it be called advertising?

im guessing this thread wont last too long before someone shows up with the big "reported" sticker for that exact reason, but it sounds ok to me
only thing is i havent bought any magazines since about april
so im not really much help for your cause
nick_b is currently obsessed with:
Pokemon
Pinch Harmonics
12/8 timing
7/8 timing
Lamb of God
Rise Against
Regina Spektor
Dream Theater
and many others...
Quote by nick_b
im guessing this thread wont last too long before someone shows up with the big "reported" sticker for that exact reason, but it sounds ok to me
only thing is i havent bought any magazines since about april
so im not really much help for your cause

oh ok , well i tried
thx
I'd like to find a new magazine. All I have is guitar world that comes in every month. A lot of times I don't find anything I find interesting in there. Although sometimes there is. Of course every issue can't be great.
Quote by solidsnake15
I'd like to find a new magazine. All I have is guitar world that comes in every month. A lot of times I don't find anything I find interesting in there. Although sometimes there is. Of course every issue can't be great.

you should check out guitar techniques
they always have lot's of good lessons , and all types : countr,y fusion, jazz....
Yeah the trouble with Guitar Techniques is they have too much stuff. I never get time to work through everything in the mag before the next one comes out. I'd rather it was £3 and had 3/5 the content sometimes.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Quote by nightraven
when i was in the states i saw a guitar mag which had a couple pages of 'how to play like eric johnson', i didn't buy it, i'm regretting it. any faint chance somebody on here got that issue and can scan the article in for me? i'd provide eternal glory

You are talking about the September 2008 edition of Guitar Player.

I don't have an article to scan for you, but if you check on their website they typically post lessons and articles after the issue is no longer current.
eh im not really into it. I have books and stuff I've learned from over the years but mostly i dont like learning out of books. When I read a magazine usually I just want to see articles on guitar players and new gear. Although I do like to hear their techniques some. I don't like a full magazine about nothing but that. I went through guitar theory classes when I was younger and learned most of what I needed. Of course theres always something new to learn. I like to learn from the classes or someone in person or maybe a video. I don't know why but I hate learning out of books. Maybe school did that to me. lol It just makes guitar less fun when I say.... i got to take out the books and study for 2 hours. Screw that.
Quote by nightraven
thanks! i'm trying to navigate around their site now, i owe you one

EDIT:
GOT IT!

http://www.mygazines.com/magazines/view/1204

that was the highlight of this week!

thanks for the link lol
Gear:
Ibanez Artcore AM73
Carlo-Robelli Acoustic (first guitar)
Peavey VaveKing 212
BOSS GE-7
BOSS Super Chorus CH-1
do you guys think its worth it to pay the $25 for guitar world with the cd or should i just buy the subscription for $12?

i only want the cd if its actually helpful and ill be able to learn some stuff from it. not gear related, i just mean techniques and songs ans stuff
I got mine for 12 bucks. It's like this... If theres something thats cool on the CD it ends up on YOUTUBE the next day or guitarworld.com. So, IMO it's not worth it.
Quote by jusfuris
do you guys think its worth it to pay the $25 for guitar world with the cd or should i just buy the subscription for $12?

i only want the cd if its actually helpful and ill be able to learn some stuff from it. not gear related, i just mean techniques and songs ans stuff

Not worth it the size of the video is retardly small so its almost pointless. And like stated if its something good its on you tube...
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I get GuitarWorld monthly and I like it mainly for the gear pr0n

Latest one yesterday has DragonForce dudes on cover, haven't opened yet.

yes, CDs could be better.

Try Guitar Player if you like gear, they actually pull the amps apart and show you what the internals look like with a 3-4 page super review on top of all the other gear they show..
In the new Guitar World, in the "Woodshed" (letter from the editor), he talks about their tab site in comparison to certain "illegal" tab sites based in other countries. I chuckled, and then noticed the point about Guitar World charging (!!!) 99 cents to download certain "gold standard" tabs.

Guitar World is now officially an arm of The Man.
I have a subscription to Guitar World and Premier Guitar

Guitar World needs to branch out some. They pretty well only cover metal and classic rock. They have missed several chances to put some fresh faces on the cover. They will use any reason to put VH or Dimebag on the cover. I can barely remember the last time I read an article, about a band that interested me, in GW, where I actually found out something new.

Premeir Guitar is awesome for gear junkies.
Not defending Guitar World necessarily but what I took that article to mean was that GW is now paying royalties to certain artists or lables that care. GW doesn't want to get sued. So if they have to charge 99 cents for certain tabs to work within the copyright laws then that's what they have to do as a US corporation that is publishing information.

As far as branching out I guess I hear ya. They have been around a long time and those are the genre's they cater too. What's interesting, is that last year they shut down production of two other mags they published and 'consolidated' some of those monthly articles into GW. Acoustic mag and Bass mag I believe. I'm sure the folks that subscribed to those were not too happy.

What I don't like is how I get a subscription reminder like every other Month that I need to renew when I'm on a 2 year sub.

?