I recently purchased a 5w blackheart stack, which I absolutely love, to have on small gigs and was wondering if I could use my crate powerblock, which I wanted to carry around as a backup, with the blackheart cab. The blackheart cab has a 16 ohm parellel input (not exactly sure what it means it has 2 input plugs and says 75 watts rms 16 ohm parellel input) and the powerblock has a mono 150 watt 8ohm output, or a stereo 75 watt 4 ohm output. Is there a way to make this setup work without having to buy new cabs? If I do is there a cab that will accommodate both the 5 watt 16 ohm blackheart head and the powerblock?
It'd be mismatching the ohms, but it'll still work. Worth a try.

I use my 4ohm champ connected to my blackheart speaker and that works fine.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
You cannot plug both amps in at the same time.

The two "inputs" on the cab are most likely to daisy chain cabs. When "paralleled" with another 16 ohm cab, the load would then be 8 ohms.

Mismatching the ohms on a SS head is not a big deal. By plugging a 16 ohm cab into a head looking for 8 ohms, you'd effectively knock down it's output power a little bit. That's a complete non-issue here, as you'd have to be careful not so crank the Powerblock over the halfway mark for fear of blowing the speaker in your 75W cab, anyway.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
So I've had my eyes set on an 8 ohm 2x10 cab. I should be able to run either, of course not at the same time, my bh or my block on it without any problems right?
^ Yes.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Thanks for the replies but one last question, I've heard that a lower ohm amp connected to a higher ohm cab is okay but not the other way around, so if i were to replace the speaker on the blackheart cab to something that's rated at 150 watts at 16 ohms would that work with both the 16 ohm blackheart amp and the 8 ohm powerblock?
Last edited by artoflife at Aug 20, 2008,
Quote by artoflife
Thanks for the replies but one last question, I've heard that a lower ohm amp connected to a higher ohm cab is okay but not the other way around, so if i were to replace the speaker on the blackheart cab to something that's rated at 150 watts at 16 ohms would that work with both the 16 ohm blackheart amp and the 8 ohm powerblock?

You should always match impedance on a tube amp(unless you pull tubes, which I won't get into here), but with the Power Block it's not such a big deal because it's solid state, as long as you do it the way you're doing it, with a larger load than the amp thinks it's handling. I've run my Power Block like that for a LONG time with no problems.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
cool thanks for the help, i guess i will be replacing the speaker on my cab then. Now off to find a speaker hehe