'lo.
Just finnished my GCSE's and i'm looking at what to do next year in 6th form. Just wondered if anyone here has done AS / A level music, and if its worth doing?

I'm taking a medical / science route so i may drop this after AS... just want something that can break up the grueling science all day! Im RGT Grade 5/6 standard atm, and purely look at music as a hobby really.

Any thoughts appreciated, cheers!
I'm in the same position, except I'm definately taking music. And music technology. And physics.

::EDIT:: My name's Dan aswell. Cool.
Last edited by filthandfury at Aug 19, 2008,
Grade 5/6 is all you'll need for it, you'll be fine with that aspect.

At A-level, you do performances pieces, which can be anything you really want so long as they reflect certain criteria...but most of the course will depend on the school you're with...you should really talk to the teachers about it if you want a real idea of what you'll be doing
Some people wait a lifetime, some simply accept...

...Some of us crash land, some of us eject...

...Some restore the blood flow, some just let it go and bleed...

...Some of us obsess, some move on to something new
I think for medicine you NEED A level chemistry, AS biology and a second science is preffered to full A level. And to do physics you need to do maths.
If you want to go into medicine or science I'd suggest you leave music, and replace it with another science. If you plan on going to a good university they might rather you have an AS in, say, chemistry, rather than an art.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by _Tim_
I think for medicine you NEED A level chemistry, AS biology and a second science is preffered to full A level. And to do physics you need to do maths.

You actually don't need biology to do medicine in most places. The only exception that comes to mind is in India. Phy, Chem, Maths is enough.
Quote by Time Seller
You actually don't need biology to do medicine in most places. The only exception that comes to mind is in India. Phy, Chem, Maths is enough.

9/10 places prefer you have it to AS.
Quote by _Tim_
And to do physics you need to do maths.

No you don't.

You do need A2 Chemistry + one other Science at A2, whether it be Physics or Biology. Another science OR maths at AS will increase your chances further.
Quote by nightraven
can't stand public showers
and yes i do have a small penis

Quote by thewho182
people in public showers make fun of my big dick

Quote by kyle33093
i would if pee pee was bigger

Quote by Neillya1
No you don't.

You do need A2 Chemistry + one other Science at A2, whether it be Physics or Biology. Another science OR maths at AS will increase your chances further.

At my college you do

Plus, it all boils down to the uni's individual requirements. There's no rules set in stone about what applicants need and don't need.
I'm not sure what exam board your school is with, but with CEA it's an easy A level. I managed to get an A overall and, if I'm honest, I did very little work for the written exams. Okay, no work for the written exams. As long as you get good marks in your performance and composition, you'll be fine.

I think at AS your performance needs to be of grade 5 standard and at A2 it should be of grade 6 standard. Composition takes up a lot time. I enjoyed it, but if you're wanting to study medicine at university, it may not be such a good choice. Science(y) subjects take a lot of work and there's no point piling on extra work, even though music isn't terribly hard. Not doing real A levels FTW.
Quote by _Tim_
At my college you do

Plus, it all boils down to the uni's individual requirements. There's no rules set in stone about what applicants need and don't need.

At mine you don't

I've noticed every uni has different requirement, Chemistry seems to be the only one that all require.
Quote by nightraven
can't stand public showers
and yes i do have a small penis

Quote by thewho182
people in public showers make fun of my big dick

Quote by kyle33093
i would if pee pee was bigger

Ahhh, it sounds like it should be fairly easy by the standards. I'll look into it more on results day.
Im thinking about taking Bio, Chem, Music (AS) and something else. Perhaps Physics, i would take maths but i'll be lucky if i get a B in it at gcse haha.

Anyone know anything more bout the music AS?
Quote by DannnUK
Ahhh, it sounds like it should be fairly easy by the standards. I'll look into it more on results day.
Im thinking about taking Bio, Chem, Music (AS) and something else. Perhaps Physics, i would take maths but i'll be lucky if i get a B in it at gcse haha.

I'm doing it next year. I've looked at some example exam questions and model answers, and it looks quite tricky, plus you have to go into quite a bit of depth, but nothing too difficult.
Quote by DannnUK

It might be different depending on which exam board your school is on, but this is what I had to do.

You have two written exams. One is a general listening paper. You have to listen to excerpts of music and answer questions on them. Like "give an approximate date of composition/a possible composer/describe the texture/how is atmosphere created?/what was the tonality/fill in bars 4-8 of the score"etc. It's pretty simple and you'll learn how to answer these questions in class.

For the second written paper you have to write two essays. There are different areas of study - we did the history of the Oratorio and the Concerto. You'll learn specific concerti/oratorios in class to refer to in your essay. It's not hard.

Overall, both of the written exams are worth 40%.

Your composition and performance are worth 60% overall, although I can't remember the sepcific breakdown. You can do your composition on whatever you like, but the emphasis is on "tonal harmony". You can also do a pastiche (a work in the style of another composer). It needs to be between 2 and 3 minutes long and you need to submit a commentary with the recording of your composition, discussing the piece in depth - i.e. your starting point, how you developed your ideas, musical devices used, software used.

The performacce needs to last 7(?) minutes and should be of grade 5 standard. You can do several shorter pieces on different instruments, or one 7min piece on the one instrument. I played the guitar and violin. Half the marks are awarded for musicality and the other half for technicality.
Last edited by xX*Zeppelin*Xx at Aug 19, 2008,
Quote by Neillya1
No you don't.

Many prefer Maths, and some who do not do Maths have to do a lot of extra work to make up for it.
Quote by daniel.mycoe
I did a national diploma in music. Thats the way to go!

I'm doing that hopefully, I have an interview on the 28th - any tips?
Quote by Aramis
I'm doing that hopefully, I have an interview on the 28th - any tips?

You need to play 2 pieces of varied styles of music. The fact my main instrument is a guitar and I picked up the acoustic seemed to really impress the guy. You have to do some sight reading, but it's in tab too and you get a minute or so to go over it. It's easy enough.

If you don't do well, you get to start at first diploma which is an extra year. If you have music GCSE you should be just fine.
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know
You don't need to do Biology at A level to get into Medicine in a lot of places but it helps A LOT!

Medicine involves a LOT of biology (obviously) and the biochemistry I've covered has been in the Biology syllabus but not in the Chemistry syllabus for CCEA so even if it's not a requirement, it'll make life a lot easier once you get there.
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
It might be different depending on which exam board your school is on, but this is what I had to do.

You have two written exams. One is a general listening paper. You have to listen to excerpts of music and answer questions on them. Like "give an approximate date of composition/a possible composer/describe the texture/how is atmosphere created?/what was the tonality/fill in bars 4-8 of the score"etc. It's pretty simple and you'll learn how to answer these questions in class.

For the second written paper you have to write two essays. There are different areas of study - we did the history of the Oratorio and the Concerto. You'll learn specific concerti/oratorios in class to refer to in your essay. It's not hard.

Overall, both of the written exams are worth 40%.

Your composition and performance are worth 60% overall, although I can't remember the sepcific breakdown. You can do your composition on whatever you like, but the emphasis is on "tonal harmony". You can also do a pastiche (a work in the style of another composer). It needs to be between 2 and 3 minutes long and you need to submit a commentary with the recording of your composition, discussing the piece in depth - i.e. your starting point, how you developed your ideas, musical devices used, software used.

The performacce needs to last 7(?) minutes and should be of grade 5 standard. You can do several shorter pieces on different instruments, or one 7min piece on the one instrument. I played the guitar and violin. Half the marks are awarded for musicality and the other half for technicality.

Very useful thankyou! I'm definitely doing it now
TO = used for expressing motion or direction toward a point, person, place, or thing approached and reached, as opposed to from

TWO = the number 2

TOO = in addition; also; furthermore; to an excessive extent or degree
Quote by dwnbowden
Very useful thankyou! I'm definitely doing it now

Good luck getting into med school, mate
Meh I thought it was pretty ****. Partly our teachers and facilities. But the general course doesn't appear to be thought out in anyway.

We had to perform during the course. Do a 6 minute recorded recital, and then anothe rrecorded piece as proof of performing during the course.

If you wanna do medicine I wouldn't. I regret taking it as I could be doing English Language as a A level instead which would help me get into Uni more than Music will.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra

If you wanna do medicine I wouldn't. I regret taking it as I could be doing English Language as a A level instead which would help me get into Uni more than Music will.

This.
The university will look at your application: "Physics, maths, chemistry to A level and music to AS"
Then they'll look at someone with the same-same grades 'n' all-, but biology instead of music.

Who would you give the place to?