Page 1 of 2
Alright, here's the deal.

I'm starting my Music Performance course in 3 weeks time, and I'm gonna use this interest-free loan scheme to get me a new, awesome guitar.

I've had my heart set on a PRS Custom 24 for a while now, and I'd like to know if ther are any other guitars I should at least try out when I go to buy the guitar, e.g. a Gibson Custom or something. I've tried the PRS before and it sounds/feels/looks absolutely godly, so I'm very prepared to buy one.

PRS Custom 24:

My only real decision I've got to make is whether to go for a PRS Custom 22 or 24. Is there that much of a sound difference? I realise that fret access is easier on a 24, and it's always nice to have the 24th fret available to me incase I need them, but would I have to make a tonal sacrifice for that?

I intend on going to Coda Music on Monday to make the final decision, and if anyone has any suggestions for guitars I could try out next to the PRS, that would be great, cheers. I play a wide range of music - in my band I play stoner rock, but it would be impossible to say what kinda of bands I'd play in on my course, so I basically need a really versatile guitar.

My budget is £2000 at the most. Don't worry about an amp, as I'm hoping to buy an Orange Rockerverb 100 with money that isn't part of the loan, so please don't ask me about amps.

Thanks!

-EDIT- I decided. Check this thread for what I got:
http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=945803
Last edited by Steve The Plank at Aug 28, 2008,
i'd get the PRS custom 22 if i was you
Equipment

Jackson Dinky DKMGT
Randall RG50TC
The PRS Custom is a beautiful guitar! I doubt you'll unhappy with it ever. I wouldn't stress over the 2 extra frets, most good lead players rarely need to go that high to get the job done. I think it's more a matter or preference.
Moving on.....
Quote by PabloGilberto
If you've got £2k, try and buy a Vigier Excalibur...

End of thread.

Something I didn't specify is that it needs to be a guitar I could find in a shop that is part of the takeitaway thing.

Also, not to sound like a dick, but none of those guitars immediately caught my eye looks-wise, and I'm not gonna spend that much money on a guitar that feels and sounds great but doesn't look good to me.
IMO, you should get the Gibson Les Paul double cut. It looks very close to the PRS's, plus sounds and feels very nice =]
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
prs custom 24

or

music man axis
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
I listened to some of your bands songs. pretty sweet. You can't go wrong with a dean razorback.. But you have your heart set on a PRS Custom 24, go for it man..
Quote by SGRazorback
I listened to some of your bands songs. pretty sweet. You can't go wrong with a dean razorback.. But you have your heart set on a PRS Custom 24, go for it man..

Hey, thanks man. The songs we have up at the moment are rough early mixes, the finished products should sound pretty nice, and we have a couple more recordings on the way too.

But yeah, I'm not after a metal guitar, and I'm not a fan of Deans, so a Razorback wouldn't be good for me I'm afraid.

And to all the people saying either a 22 or 24, can you let me know why you've said either one? Cheers.
I'd go for the 22 fret. I've yet to see anyone ever use a 24th fret in anything other than pure technical neck wanking, and the neck pickup will sound much better with 22 frets. You also in theory lose a tiny bit of sustain with 24 frets, though admittedly I've never noticed that one myself.

Anyway, the PRS is a pretty good choice. Only things I would suggest considering instead would be something slightly cheaper and using the left over money to upgrade - e.g. Fender American Deluxe strat (I'd suggest HSS as that's the best value for money since it also comes with better nut, tuners and etc than any of the other Fender Strats, even the SSS version has worse gear for some reason; and you could easily upgrade it to HH if that's what you really want), Gibson [anything], just depending on what features you really want. If you're not fussed about the vibrato bridge for instance, I'd suggest perhaps a Gibson SG instead.

Probably all sounds very obvious, but usually the obvious answers are the ones which work out better in the end.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Caparison?
I've been checking them out lately, and if you're lucky, you can find a dealer who has some. Other than that, it seams like you have your mind mostly made up of the PRS. Gorgeous guitars, and sound incredible. I'd just go play a bunch of em' until you find one that fits you.

EDIT- If you do wanna check out Caparison, it seams like you may like the Angelus series.
Last edited by caraluzzo at Aug 19, 2008,
Gibson les paul custom from GAK.co.uk for £1999.their spectacularly versatile, look georgous and will last you your whole life if you take care of it.
I prefer the 24. I just thought it played nicer. Plain and simple.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Plank man, get the 22.

EDIT: Why? Because the neck pickups will sound much better, and I doubt you will ever need the extra two.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Steve The Plank
Something I didn't specify is that it needs to be a guitar I could find in a shop that is part of the takeitaway thing.

Also, not to sound like a dick, but none of those guitars immediately caught my eye looks-wise, and I'm not gonna spend that much money on a guitar that feels and sounds great but doesn't look good to me.

Fair enough dude, but I dont follow your train of thought when you say they're not that good looking...

Maybe Its just me, but I think those guitars are the most breathtakingly gorgeous instruments i've lain eyes on.

If you get a chance to play one, please do, I swear there's not many guitars I'd rather have than one of these.

Mike
Quote by PabloGilberto
Fair enough dude, but I dont follow your train of thought when you say they're not that good looking...

[insert big pics here]

Maybe Its just me, but I think those guitars are the most breathtakingly gorgeous instruments i've lain eyes on.

If you get a chance to play one, please do, I swear there's not many guitars I'd rather have than one of these.

Mike

It's all preference.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Jackson SL2H soloist?
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by PabloGilberto
I agree, Im just in love with dem Vigiers

They are very nice indeed.

Also, there are plenty of UK dealers with guitars in stock, so TS if you want to try one out, just look at the dealers page on Vigier's official website.

As for the choice between the 22 and the 24, keep in mind that while you may not use the 24th fret all that much, in most cases a guitar with 24 frets will have better fret access for the 22nd fret than a guitar with 22 frets.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
I have to suggest you get a Ibanez SZ5470 Prestige, it will save you some money so you can get that Mesa Recto combo

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
I've got a Custom 22. Unless you absolutely have to have 24 frets, my advice is
just try what's in your price range and buy the one you like. The PRS's have
really nice resonance, but they vary. Try them in a quiet room where you can hear
it unplugged. Either one you go for I think will be a happy purchase.
remember also the custom 22 and 24 have different pickups.

the custom 22s are more mellow and classic sounding while the custom 24s are hotter and more modern voiced.

but both are pretty damn versatile and fantastic guitars, you wouldnt be unhappy with either imo just comes down to the pickup preference really.
PRS Custom 22
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Road Worn Telecaster
Fairclough Sky Accoustic

Laney VC15-110
Roland MicroCube
The top of the line Japanese Tokai's are amazing. I've preferred them to the Gibsons and whatnot, so they're definitely worth a shot. Just because you've got the money doesn't mean you HAVE to spend it all.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Vigiers are ugly as balls. The lack on contour on top of the body is unsettling.

Anyhow to the thread starter, I think you already made fine choice!! 22 frets is what I would go with.

A PRS is my dream guitar that I will reward myself with one day when I can actually play it like it deserves.
I would recommend the 24 fret because of what I realized with my 24 fret custom job. I saw that I have the full second octave on the guitar and what I play on the first octave I can go to the second octave.

When I play my other guitars with only 22 frets I missed the 24 fret but my songs don't required 24 frets, it's when I improvise that I need the 24 fret.
Expensive versatile guitar? Give Parker Fly a spin, you might very much like what you see. Or hate it. Could go either way.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
22 frets = neck pickup sounds different from the neck pickup of the Custom 24.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Remember, if you REAALLLYY want those extra frets, and saying you only want to use them on the top 3 strings, you can just bend them. It might not sound as good, but you don't have to sacrafice the 'mellowness' of the guitar that people said. Is it really worth it getting rid of that tone to have another 2 frets that you won't really use most of the time? I think not.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
just make sure you can pay it off in the nine payments, less 10% at point of sale.
you need to have a valid credit card and to be sure that your credit is in current good standing. also, there should be a dealer in ur area, with ur gear, willing to take this credit.

don't over extend urself.
if it's an $900 USD guitar, that'll make for an expensive payout every month.

i don't see penalty for late payment, but often it'll be intrest compounded from day one of
loan.

just as easy, is an interest free flex pay 12 month credit card offered at most online music stores.
those are also completely interest free unless payment is missed, or if full amount is not payed within the year.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Well, I guess the best thing to do is to try the the 22 and 24 next to each other and see how they compare.

I have 24 frets on my Assassin, which makes soloing up the neck pretty damn easy for access, but if the tone is that much nicer without the 2 frets I might have to give them up.
I had never noticed that the two guitars have different pickups too. Which pups would be more versatile?

Also, I reckon I'll definitely try some of your suggestions next to the PRS to compare, like the Gibson or Strat.

And sorry Pablo, I'm still not attracted to the guitars, haha.

If anyone can pick out any guitars in particular off of this website that I should look at, that would be great, as I'm going to the store on Monday/Tuesday to hopefully make my purchase.
Well, if you're there anyway, check out Tom Anderson; they look pretty cool, they sound great and they have amazing playability.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Having 24 frets makes a small change in tone from 22 due to the placement of the neck pickup. I always thought the 24 fret had a fuller sounding neck PU, could just be me. My friend agreed though, so who knows.
try Carvin, you could get two Carvins what you'd pay for that PRS and you get much more in terms of options
May i suggest Levison-Blade?
I've never had an experience with one, but i've heard some seriously good things about them. If i remember rightly Dave_MC once recommended me one, but i couldn't find a dealer.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epiphone EDS-1275
Epiphone Les Paul
Schecter C-1+
Peavey Delta Blues
Quote by SGRazorback

Dean is a lot different from PRS...

To answer your question, TS, I'd say go for the 22. 24 frets on a PRS just seem unnecessary and i doubt you would need to use the extra 2.
Quote by Bowe
try Carvin, you could get two Carvins what you'd pay for that PRS and you get much more in terms of options

I agree with this, and Carvin offers a PRS rip-off model as well, if you're interested.
Page 1 of 2