I didn't really know if I could put this in the songwriting and lyrics forum, so I'm just putting it here.

I want to start singing, and I have a decent sounding voice but its not the greatest. I can stay on key really well. I want some advice on "altering", for lack of better words, so it can sound better, or just advice on singing. Also, I want to know how I can add that "edge" to my voice that a lot of rock singers use (as you can see, I'm not experienced with singing rock AT ALL).

thanks, guys
My Gear:
Squier Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Line 6 FBV Express

Wanted Gear:
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson ES335
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall JCM800
Dunlop Crybaby
Just practice a lot. I just sing how I feel like singing, and eventually it sounds okay. I've had people tell me I'm really good, and that they didn't expect good singing from me. I used to try and impersonate other singers, and that's how I found my rough tone... but my soft tone is completely mine. What kind of style are you thinking of singing?
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
Lessons couldn't hurt...
My signature has doubled...
dude, the key to rock singing is just doing it, theres no like, method, if your a good singer, awesome, but if your not, just go out and use what ya got. with enough confidence ALMOST any voice can work for rock
EDIT: as for the "edge" at least for me when i sing with more emotion it just sorta comes natural, if you really connect with what your singing and your not full of ****, then the edge should be there
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by John Spartan
Lessons couldn't hurt...

I'm in choir at school, we have practice every day.
My Gear:
Squier Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Line 6 FBV Express

Wanted Gear:
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson ES335
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall JCM800
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by ratmblink123
Just practice a lot. I just sing how I feel like singing, and eventually it sounds okay. I've had people tell me I'm really good, and that they didn't expect good singing from me. I used to try and impersonate other singers, and that's how I found my rough tone... but my soft tone is completely mine. What kind of style are you thinking of singing?

kind of like a bluesy, metallish kind of sound... I like the way the guy from Shinedown sounds like, and i wanna mix that with a bluesy twist, like something like Steven Tyler or something like that.
My Gear:
Squier Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Line 6 FBV Express

Wanted Gear:
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson ES335
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall JCM800
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by cj10schmelzer
I'm in choir at school, we have practice every day.

hehe

Well dude just like google it or something...
Coz i cant help i can barely play guitar
sozz i couldn't help
My signature has doubled...
Have you checked behind the couch?
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by mcraddict81592
dude, the key to rock singing is just doing it, theres no like, method, if your a good singer, awesome, but if your not, just go out and use what ya got. with enough confidence ALMOST any voice can work for rock
EDIT: as for the "edge" at least for me when i sing with more emotion it just sorta comes natural, if you really connect with what your singing and your not full of ****, then the edge should be there

You should be a mental coach.
I can't sing for shit, so what I do on my acoustic doodles is double layer my voice and sing really whispery. It's great, it makes you sound like Elliott Smith. Or sometimes, layer it but make one an octave higher. There are many ways to get around not having a great voice.

EDIT: read the thread. disregard, i suck cocks.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.