How much do marshall JCM 800 Combo's usually go for these days?

is there a better amp for roughly the same amount of money that has a nice sounding clean and distortion channel?

It has to be able to cover joe satriani, yngwie malmsteen, jimi hendrix, motley crue, guns n roses etc. Classic rock, rock...well you get the picture haha

thanks in advance
If you're in the UK, an 800 (with a boost in some cases) will be amazing for those tones. However, it simply won't do them at bedroom volumes. If you're in Europe or the US, you can probably find a better value alternative.
In the UK, I believe that the combos are around the £450-£500 mark, as they've climbed a hell of a lot in value in the last 18 months.

Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Well... Laney AOR pro tube combos are based on the 800 and from the same era, and are selling for peanuts on ebay at the moment. You could probably wrangle a used Orange rocker for that too. Laney has a few amps that meet that criteria (GH50L used), and you could get a new tiny terror for that money. Ceriatone also build some great plexi and 800 clones, but it depends if you can wait 11 weeks for one.

There are a lot of great amp choices available to you, but it depends if you're gigging, and what your budget is.

EDIT: I own a jcm900 combo, and while it is a fine amp, it doesn't sound as big and raw as a jcm 800. It can be a little harsh sounding. If you do go for an 800, I'd particularly reccomend the single channel 50 watt combo (4010). Absolutely amazing sounding amp.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Last edited by jimbob78 at Aug 19, 2008,
oooo ok. Well im hoping to start a band soon but i have got a couple things coming up. Not anything major though.

im not too convinced my ceriatone for some reason. maybe because they're trying to build marshall clones or W/e

my budget would be around the £300 - £400 mark but i dont really want to go over that because it takes me ages to get that money haha

EDIT: thanks for that. i do like the sound of 900's so that could be a possibility
the lead guitarist in my band owns a JCM 900, he got it used for 400 US$ i believe, whatever it was, it was a steal. its great for what our band does (modern rock, indie covers). The distortion is very good, and the cleans are also suprisingly great. It can get those fuzzy muse tones on overdrive (he doesn't use pedals, except for a DD-3) and can get the cleans of KoL and RHCP. all in all a GREAT amp.
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
Fair enough. I'd personally break it down between a used GH50l or a single channel jcm800 combo if you can find one. These are all a safe bet in terms of gigging volume, although the Tiny Terror would sound better in most cases, as you'll be able to push it harder. Your best bet is to try all the amps you can. If you look used, you can get a lot of amp for £400.

Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

it could easily get the classic rock tones (GnR, even hendrix), and if you bump the gain up i bet you could get yngwie and satriani. i'm not positiv eabout the heavier stuff because we really don't play much of that stuff, but we never use all of the gain so i bet it could, and if it doesn't use a OD to boost it that extra little bit.
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
If you turn up the gain and crank it a bit, it can get Satch and Yngwie but it wouldn't be my first choice of amp. I'd wait till some Laney pro tube combos go on ebay. Don't get me wrong, it's a good gigging workhorse amp, but you could probably get something better if you search the used market. It's your call, and I'm sure you won't be disappointed with whatever choice you make... just speaking from experience

Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

thanks for the advice. ill be on the look out for one of those laney amps and the jcm

i have little over a month to wait untill i can afford one of these anyhoo as its my birthday soon. so im sure ill find a decent price on one of these
Good luck with it mate. Don't mean to push you away from the 900... it's just that I've learnt the hard way with amps, and it's a very frustrating (and expensive) process. Getting something that's loud enough, but you can push at gigs is the key. That's why I reccomended the Laney pro tube (they do a 30 watt 1x12) and the tiny terror combo (you can push the volume hard at gigs). The thing with gigging is that if your amp isn't quite loud enough, it'll be miked anyway, allowing you to crank it and get godly tone, therefore meaning that anything above 30 watts tube is usually redundant. They may sound good, but they are still wasted to an extent.

Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

ahhh ok.
so what your saying is that it would be a better option to get a 15 watt tube amp such as the tiny terror combo so i could push it when gigging?

is 15 watts of tube enough for gigging? because i dont want to have to turn it up full each time. i like to have more volume avalable if i need it and not have to mic it up
Last edited by moominman2 at Aug 19, 2008,
Quote by moominman2
ahhh ok.
so what your saying is that it would be a better option to get a 15 watt tube amp such as the tiny terror combo so i could push it when gigging?

is 15 watts of tube enough for gigging? because i dont want to have to turn it up full each time. i like to have more volume avalable if i need it and not have to mic it up

15's plenty , i wish i hadnt got a 100 watt head , i can never crank it past 2 :|

everything soudns better miced up anyway , more even sound with the rest of the band