I'm looking to upgrade my starter amp, and my price limit is $250. The style I play right now and for a little while will mostly be classic rock(such as The Who, Queen, Santana, maybe some Zeppelin.) Maybe a little bit of bluesy/rock songs (Anything out of any of Claptons bands.) What would be a good amp for me?
Last edited by SecretAgentS at Aug 19, 2008,
Quote by acdcrocks0323
^Not a good idea IMO.
Get a Crate V33 or V18 depending on how much power you need.

I've tried that Crate before (V33). Its distortion sounds a little too muddy. It's definitely more powerful than the Fender but I still prefer the Fender's tone.
Look at the crate V series which is on sale.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Ha. It's hard to believe you would rather have a Fender FM than a good tube amp.

Its distortion sounds like pedal distortion, not very tube-ish. The Fender will be easier in the long run because you don't have to worry about damaging the tubes while carrying it around. Don't get me wrong, they're both good amps but I've just had better experience with the Fender.
if you're not looking for power (disregard this post if you're in a band) check out the Epi VJ. with a good OD this thing can really belt out those classic rock and bluesie tones. its only 5w though, but its probably the best small tube amp out there.
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
The Peavey Vypyr amps hit the market, my GC has them, and I know people have bought them. My friend has the 75w one.

Initial impressions have been very positive all around. Call your local GC and ask if they have a 75w in stock, and if they do, print out the page for the 75w vypyr off Best Buy and they'll price match it. 209.99 is the price on the BB's site. For that much, I would definitely buy it if they have it in stock.

If they don't have the 75w, LOOK into the 30w. The initial impressions are still damn good, but it isn't as awesome and a must-buy like the 75w for 10 bucks more is. My GC is out of 75's .
Quote by pwrmax
Its distortion sounds like pedal distortion, not very tube-ish. The Fender will be easier in the long run because you don't have to worry about damaging the tubes while carrying it around. Don't get me wrong, they're both good amps but I've just had better experience with the Fender.

I've never worried about damaging the the tubes in my amp. You're really exaggerating about the maintenance of tube amps. i literally toss it into the back of my car and leave it in there while I speed mercilessly around San Diego.
This distortion on that Fender is crap, and the cleans are tolerable. Nothing like real Fender cleans.

Quote by acdcrocks0323
^Not a good idea IMO.
Get a Crate V33 or V18 depending on how much power you need.

+1
If you know how to work an EQ, it's not going to sound muddy. These things sound great for the money.
Quote by suckmahnuts
if you're not looking for power (disregard this post if you're in a band) check out the Epi VJ. with a good OD this thing can really belt out those classic rock and bluesie tones. its only 5w though, but its probably the best small tube amp out there.

+1 Can't go wrong with a Vj and a few pedals.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
For $250 I would look around for a used Crate VC3112 if you can find one. They are great little but powerful amps and they pop up on Craigslist from time to time. If you can't get one of those, I would second (or third- sorry my math sucks in the morning) the V33.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I've never worried about damaging the the tubes in my amp. You're really exaggerating about the maintenance of tube amps. i literally toss it into the back of my car and leave it in there while I speed mercilessly around San Diego.
This distortion on that Fender is crap, and the cleans are tolerable. Nothing like real Fender cleans.

+1

People on here often exaggerate about the maintenance and care of tube amps. My head has taken several beatings and it still works fine.

The SS Fender amps really aren't good and they sound nothing like their tube brothers.

Look into a Roland Cube or check out the new Peavey Vypyrs if you are looking for a SS amp. If you are looking for a tube amp then check out the Epi Valve Jr, the Crate V series, or a Blackheart Little Giant and look into some OD pedals while you're at it!