How exactly do you remove the binding on the neck of a guitar? I need to do this to replace it, but the issue I've run into is it's stuck (obviously). I was thinking one option given the state it's in would be to use a chemical stripper on it, but I want to avoid that as it would be a MESS. So what is the proper way to remove plastic binding?
Stuck as in, under the finish? Or is it glued?

Have you tried running a razor along the edge and peeling it back?
Perhaps applying heat?
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
It is glued. I'm afraid to apply heat as the fretboard is a resin-compound and I'm not sure what would happen. It is glued into place, and a razor blade hasn't done much, but it can't hurt to try again.

EDIT :Is it possible because it had an earlier reaction with paint stripper in spots, it's turned into more of a glue?
It could have been melted by the chemical stripper, but that shouldn't have set the entire binding in place. Can you score along the binding and work around the spots exposed to stripper?
I've had issues scoring the binding. I would say 75-85% of it got exposed and got gluey on the surface, probably not the whole way through.. I had a little luck down by the unaffected area, but the side broke once I got near the melted area. I'm saving the other side to give more scoring a try tomorrow. My concern is if I press too hard, I'll slip and start gouging the wood. Guess I could also try using a small file or sand paper to wear it down and away, though it would be tedious work. Maybe if I try a bit harder and break the surface, I can get it to peal off. Thanks for the help so far
Resin compound?

what kind of guitar is it?
Switch?

and will you be replacing the binding?
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
Resin compound?

what kind of guitar is it?
Switch?

and will you be replacing the binding?

Old Epiphone X-1000. Ebonol board.

And I plan on it unless something totally unforeseen happens (can't even think of what that would be.)
sweet, sounds cool.

can we see pics of the binding?

being a chemistry freak i'd love to see what this all looks like, what with all the melting and such!

and what for new binding?
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
sweet, sounds cool.

can we see pics of the binding?

being a chemistry freak i'd love to see what this all looks like, what with all the melting and such!

and what for new binding?

Tomorrow I'll try to grab some pics. The new stuff will likely just be plain plastic from Stew Mac. I don't know enough to try anything fancy.
well, you can get some pretty snazzy binding from stewmac as well
------

Shwiggity.
Small Update:

I've been chipping away at it. Using a hobby knife and buzz cutter on the intact stuff and a series of regular and nail files on the stuck stuff. It's been slowing going and between attempts I've been working on stripping the body. I am making progress though... once it's done I'll probably give it a rebuild thread!