Yo, I was just wondering if anyone could help me. I would like to know some of the common amp and/or distortion/overdrive effects that the guitarists of many of the well known hair metal bands used. If those amps/effects aren't in production today, what would be some good similar modern amps/effects. I'm looking for a really good distortion/overdrive pedal for that sound or an amp that can achieve it alone. A sound with crunchy bottom and screaming high-end is what I'm looking for. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
You have two options. A lot of guys used JCM800s and older effects they had built up, like Boss and MXR stuff. The other is to go with a rack setup, which was more popular later into the decade. What is your budget? In general though, you want something Marshall-voiced.
Cranked stock or modded 800, clean boost/overdrive with volume dimed, chorus, flange, lots of reverb. The odd whammy pedal too.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

like everyone is sayin, go with the JCM 800. A LOT of hair metal bands used them.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
If you want a current production amp that will nail those tones, look into orange rocker30 or rockerverb 50, they are cheaper than the reissue JCM 800 from Marshall, and sound better too. You can always go used JCM 800 but you asked about a current production amps.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Yeah it was all marshall back then. Although theres some amps nowadays that can do hair metal even better IMO. It's like when I see classic rock bands using triple recs on stage I think it sounds cooler than using the vintage amps.
Thanks for the replies. I don't have that high of a budget for a JCM, I'm looking for more in the $1-1.5K. Also, any effects pedals that can get close to that sound when played through a cheap tube, like the peavey valveking?
Quote by jstnthrguitguy
Thanks for the replies. I don't have that high of a budget for a JCM, I'm looking for more in the $1-1.5K. Also, any effects pedals that can get close to that sound when played through a cheap tube, like the peavey valveking?

A used JCM is do-able with that budget..

If not bugera 333 or a Windsor will be a good bet.
Splawn Competition or a JCM800

the competition is 1200 I think
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Is the windsor really ok? I heard it sucked. I might try to save for a used JCM800. Where would be the best place to get one? I don't want to bid on ebay, but if i can get one cheap just to buy that'd be good. Also is there anything i could do with my Peavey Valveking, like a good pedal or mod it?
the windsor is a good amp but you can do WAY better for your budget.

the splawn would be great for you it's a hot rodded plexi basically
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Try and get hold of a Gallien Krueger 250ML or 250RL. They are very 80's sounding. Loads of artists were using them, including Rush and Iron Maiden.
Quote by jstnthrguitguy
Is the windsor really ok? I heard it sucked. I might try to save for a used JCM800. Where would be the best place to get one? I don't want to bid on ebay, but if i can get one cheap just to buy that'd be good. Also is there anything i could do with my Peavey Valveking, like a good pedal or mod it?

Its decent.. but with a budget of 1500, like I stated you can get a JCM...

You can retube the Valveking to make it brighter. Mine is sorta in the middle of a Marshall and a Mesa at the moment.
If you need an entire rig for $1000ish dollars, the Windsor isn't a bad idea at all. No one says you HAVE to spend all of it.

Still, a JCM800 or 900 1x12" combo can be found for $600-$800, with a little patience. Throw in a phase 90, and you're there.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
If you need an entire rig for $1000ish dollars, the Windsor isn't a bad idea at all. No one says you HAVE to spend all of it.

Still, a JCM800 or 900 1x12" combo can be found for $600-$800, with a little patience. Throw in a phase 90, and you're there.

Tons of bands used the ADA MP-1 preamp through H&H Power amps.
Quote by jstnthrguitguy

Like thespinesurfs said, you can get a used early 80s JCM800 combo that kicks ass for $600-$800 US. I see them around fairly frequently. Throw in an MXR Distortion+, ProCo Rat, or a DOD250 & you've got '80s br00talz.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by jstnthrguitguy

Used Splawn QuickRod. Fo sho. You can grab one for 1300 USD, I think. Grab their matching 2x12 cab, it's very well priced.
Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I think I'm gonna go with the JCM 800, but then I can't decide if I should get the 2203 100watts or the 2204 50watts. I heard that to get that good tube amp overdrive sound you have to turn the amp up loud enough so the tubes start to break up, and if I get the 100 watt version, I don't want that tube overdrive sound to only be achieveable if I blast the thing and blow the house down. So would the 50 watter be better since I could crank it up without going way too loud, or is that not really an issue and the 100 watt would sound good not cranked? I only need it to be able to play with a band and small gigs. So I guess my question is: Does it really matter if the amp volume is cranked as opposed to about halfway?
Quote by jstnthrguitguy
Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I think I'm gonna go with the JCM 800, but then I can't decide if I should get the 2203 100watts or the 2204 50watts. I heard that to get that good tube amp overdrive sound you have to turn the amp up loud enough so the tubes start to break up, and if I get the 100 watt version, I don't want that tube overdrive sound to only be achieveable if I blast the thing and blow the house down. So would the 50 watter be better since I could crank it up without going way too loud, or is that not really an issue and the 100 watt would sound good not cranked? I only need it to be able to play with a band and small gigs. So I guess my question is: Does it really matter if the amp volume is cranked as opposed to about halfway?

lol you seem to be under the delusion that a 50 watt Marshall 2204 will not blow the roof off your house if you crank it.

because it will. whether you go 50 watt or 100 watt, you'll need an attenuator.
Quote by jstnthrguitguy
so then what's the big difference between the two? and does it matter if it's cranked?

Not a whole lot. As long is the master is past half on a JCM 800, it will be fine. If you have it below half it can become VERY BRIGHT.
To be honest though man.
I would totally find a used splawn, or get a jcm 800 combo and an attenuator.
Extremely loud volumes are found on a jcm800
i mean, your neighbors will literally stab you if you play it on full volume. If you have lose papers anywhere within 20 feet in front of the amp at even 3/4 volume, they will literally be blown away. Thats how much air the damn things move.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
so then do attenuators work well? cause i heard they can sometimes suck the tone away, since the speakers aren't recieveing the full signal.
Can I just say something? As good as the JCM800 is, it might not be a good idea to get it because it's so generic. I've recently been to a Skid Row/Dokken/Poison concert and a Motley Crue concert, and they all sounded the exact same because they had that same exact goddamn Marshall sound. I assume most hair bands don't sound any different. They're not the only ones either.

Even though I hate Buckcherry (pop-rock band, you've probably heard the song Sorry on the radio or something), it was like a breath of fresh air when they opened for Crue because they didn't have that generic Marshall sound. I think I saw Mesa, but I do know it wasn't Marshall. Play something else and you'll stick out more.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Splawns

I do agree with Sonicxlover though. THATS WHY I HATE SLASH's AND ZAKK WYLDE'S TONE!

I'm saving for a splawn, but I use VASTLY different settings than the marshall guys, (way more gain, way more Lo-end). In fact, I may just get that higher gain Nitro just to avoid the same old grind.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Splawns

I do agree with Sonicxlover though. THATS WHY I HATE SLASH's AND ZAKK WYLDE'S TONE!

I'm saving for a splawn, but I use VASTLY different settings than the marshall guys, (way more gain, way more Lo-end). In fact, I may just get that higher gain Nitro just to avoid the same old grind.

are you dumb?

Slash and zakk wylde's tone aren't anything close to what i concider a hair band tone.
Slash has a pretty unique marshall rhythm tone, and a smooth as butter lead.
Zakk's sound is really agressive, trebly, and crunchy.
Hair band is Inbetween crunchy and smooth, and fairly trebly.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Fail. You can get JCM800's for cheaper than that. That's a ripoff.

^^Hm...Not to rain on your parade...but..
pic

Pic says 2007, they could've changed gear since then.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Yeah, so I guess it's the 2204, 50 watt and a power attenuator, but in addition to that what would be the best distortion/overdrive pedal to put the amp over the top and give it sweet gain and tone. It sounds like my options are the ProCo Rat, MXR+, DOD, or TubeScreamer, but which one would be the best, and not for extremely distorting the sound or changing the tone, but for adding extra gain just to boost the tubes some more?
Quote by jstnthrguitguy
Yeah, so I guess it's the 2204, 50 watt and a power attenuator, but in addition to that what would be the best distortion/overdrive pedal to put the amp over the top and give it sweet gain and tone. It sounds like my options are the ProCo Rat, MXR+, DOD, or TubeScreamer, but which one would be the best, and not for extremely distorting the sound or changing the tone, but for adding extra gain just to boost the tubes some more?

Get a DOD250.
The dist+ and proco rat of today suck balls.
Or tubescreamer would work.
But i say dod250.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer