should i learn songs or just different exercises for techniques? i spend most of my time writing my own music.
Testament, Kreator, Vio-lence, Exodus

Thrash Metal
Technique and repertoire are both essential when playing an instrument. Your technical ability will end up determining your repertoire.

So, practice both.
both...a lot of people dont really like it when you dont play any songs they know....but without pratcticing your own stuff your limiting yourself(in my opinion)
i dont have AD.....ooo,shiny
Quote by Metallica-EX50
should i learn songs or just different exercises for techniques? i spend most of my time writing my own music.

work on both if you can. If you had to just pick one... I would go repertoire....... but you don't have to pick just one..... so do both.
shred is gaudy music
ofcourse the right answer is both, but if you for some reason need to choose,
expanding your repetoire gives you most ideas for your own music, and exercises
nearly never do good at this, but learning new songs is a much slower way of
expanding your capibilities in technique, and thus having more possibilities to use in
your songs, this process goes ofcourse a lot faster when you focus on one of these new possibilities seperately

now ofcourse the 'new possibility' this applies to most is speed as all techniques never take more than a week to learn, so if you're not interested in this, skip this, if you are, train this first up to the cleanness you desire, then try harder songs

anyway, i suggest you just expand your repetoire, but every new song should be harder in some tehnical aspect, so the licks you can't get to sound right make perfect exercises, this does require a choice of songs with deifferent techniques to reach the same effect as when they're all practised seperately, but you'll have the advantage of knowing how to incorporate the licks (do play the licks you chose as exercises in all possible keys)
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
Quote by Metallica-EX50

ideally your technique should be sufficient to be able to play anything you need to play... so if you work on repertoire that's sufficiently technically challenging, you're doing both

working on repertoire arguably makes your ear better too... I would say repertoire, but go off to the woodshed if you encounter specific technical things you need to work on