So as I'm sitting here playing my jazz bass I started to wonder is my Jazz Bass ash or alder. I know that most jazz basses are made of alder, but I saw this page on MF and started to wonder.link I was reading the reviews just out of curiosity and I saw this in a review. "one natural and one saphire blue.the ash bodies are great" My jazz is a blue finish and has sort of the same wood grain pattern, so I'm asking my fellow UG'ers to look at the wood grain on my Jazz and determine if it's ash or alder.

A side note: I'm unable to A/B it to a normal standard jazz bass to hear a tonal difference and I've heard that ash and alder have very different wood grains so I thought you guys could figure which it is.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
it looks like ash, is it fairly light? cause ash is usually lighter than alder
To Chaosinborn: It's a Fender Standard Jazz Bass
To viper_mike: Well, I've never held any other Jazz bass, so I've nothing to compare it to but it does feel pretty light to me.
Squier VM TB Bass
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
i'm thinkin' Fender only offers ash on their Deluxe Series basses. i could be wrong though.
Quote by ccmetz2020

special production run! very nice.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Aug 19, 2008,
Generally Fender offers ash on most of their transparently finished basses so I'd guess ash.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Thanks everyone for figuring out my bass was ash bodied! When I bought the j bass the tag said Fender Standard Jazz Bass(FSR). I just assumed it was alder. And to think for the past few months I was GASing for an ash-bodied jazz bass, when in fact I had one and just didn't know it. lol
Squier VM TB Bass
Yeah, that's ash
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I think I have the same one, and it is indeed an ash body.

The grain on mine is way tighter though.
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
Yeah it's ash. My ATK has an ash on mahogany body which has similar grain on the back.

Alder has much narrower grain - the two woods look quite different.
That's the exact same grain pattern on my MIA DX Jazz - it's ash. End of. Although mine's just one piece
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Like everybody else said, its ash.

That thing needs a white pearl pickguard IMO.
Beautiful finish, by the way.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Why didn't you thank the guy who said you had a nice couch? What, just because we are talking about basses, means we can't acknowledge the wonderful couch?

I am being sarcastic (maybe?), but I do know this, it looks confy. I like the vintage re-issue squier or fender on it too...both basses have neat pickups.
^Nah, look at the cushion. It looks thick, but it looks like it has no support. It would be a good couch to lie on, but my bet is that as soon as more than one person is on it, sitting, it would get pretty uncomfortable. Overall it just seems way too soft.

<_<
>_>
FSR jazz basses are the MIM with an ash body. I seriously looked at buying one just for the ash body, but when I tried an MIM I didn't really like it and there wasn't an FSR so I didn't know how much difference an ash body would make.
<_<
>_>