So much we take for granted

So let us sleep outside tonight
Lay down in our mother's arms
For here we can rest safely
Quote by AtreyuAlive60
please. i dont know much about chords.

use the minor third of g rather than the major one. the chord is 1 m3 5
Quote by StillSoundRG
I don't like you ACFCPatrick. Your views differ from mine.
Yes. Gm is G Minor. In music theory though, anything minor is not capitilized.

G is G Major and g is G minor. but usually people just put G m
Quote by AdamDK

e|3
B|3
G|3
D:5
A:5
E:3

There.

That doesn't really explain what G minor is. It's just one of countless possible voicings made by utilizing the intervals of the chord.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
That doesn't really explain what G minor is. It's just one of countless possible voicings made by utilizing the intervals of the chord.

Well, he only asked which chord it was, not what a chord was...

Anyways.
G minor is a triad consisting of the root note G (391.11 hzt or any multiple of it). Then another note with a frecuency ratio of 32:27 (a minor third) which in this case is Bb (463.54 hzt) and another note with a frecuency ratio of 3:2 (perfect fifth) which in this case is D (586,66 hzt).
It is a triad formed by two thirds stacked, a minor one and a mayor one (which equals 32:27 (minor third) X 81:64 (major third) and it is 3:2 (perfect fifth) since it is 2592:1728=3:2)....

Hmmm, that would be it I think....
Quote by greennblue10
Yes. Gm is G Minor. In music theory though, anything minor is not capitilized.

G is G Major and g is G minor. but usually people just put G m

Careful with that. In traditional (or "classical") theory, minor chords are typically notated with a lowercase letter or roman numeral, but in pop/jazz theory, or most modern theory, an uppercase letter is used for all chords with the lowercase "m" showing the minor: "Gm", for example.

There are a lot of differences between traditional and pop/jazz theory that will annoy the hell out of you if you haven't studied both next to each other, and it's most often in the nomenclature, but not in actual meaning.
Quote by gonzaw

Anyways.
G minor is a triad consisting of the root note G (391.11 hzt or any multiple of it). Then another note with a frecuency ratio of 32:27 (a minor third) which in this case is Bb (463.54 hzt) and another note with a frecuency ratio of 3:2 (perfect fifth) which in this case is D (586,66 hzt).
It is a triad formed by two thirds stacked, a minor one and a mayor one (which equals 32:27 (minor third) X 81:64 (major third) and it is 3:2 (perfect fifth) since it is 2592:1728=3:2)....

now what was the point of that!? like we're gonna understand that?

what you got ears like a bleedin bat?
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Quote by gonzaw

Anyways.

Nice job.
Quote by Conca
now what was the point of that!? like we're gonna understand that?

what you got ears like a bleedin bat?

He's attempting to make fun of me for pointing out that explaining to him what Gm actually is will be far more beneficial than simply giving him a barre chord.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
He's attempting to make fun of me for pointing out that explaining to him what Gm actually is will be far more beneficial than simply giving him a barre chord.

It is that you always tell people to go learn the theory behind major scales and diatonic harmony and stuff and rarely answer their simple questions

Although what he asked wasn't too clear...
Quote by gonzaw
It is that you always tell people to go learn the theory behind major scales and diatonic harmony and stuff and rarely answer their simple questions

I certainly tell them that when their question makes it obvious that they don't know those things. Where did I tell him to go learn the theory behind major scales and diatonic harmony? I don't recall mentioning either in this thread.
Quote by Archeo Avis
I certainly tell them that when their question makes it obvious that they don't know those things. Where did I tell him to go learn the theory behind major scales and diatonic harmony? I don't recall mentioning either in this thread.

You kind of implied it in the way you were following the conversation.
It is that most of times you point out that their question makes it obvious that they don't know about those things, but you don't actually inform them about said subjects..
Quote by gonzaw
You kind of implied it in the way you were following the conversation.
It is that most of times you point out that their question makes it obvious that they don't know about those things, but you don't actually inform them about said subjects..

Because said subjects are often very complicated, would require that I type at least 2,000 words every time someone makes a similar thread (roughly ten times daily), and are answered in the theory sticky.
But well, we have to give them at least a little bit of advice...
Whether it is the link of the lesson, or the way in which they have to study and practise said subject, or another site, or a brief explanation, etc, if not they would kinda feel down when the only thing they can retort to is written lessons and not have things explained in a way they can understand....
"C" form of Gm-

-7--
-8--
-7--
-8--
-10-
----

"A" form of Gm-

-10-
-12-
-12-
-12-