Page 1 of 2
Ok, here's a little rant. Basically I went to play pool yesterday with some friends (none are musicians...in fact, hardly of them listen to anything 'good' (in my opinion)). So all of a sudden some Bob Marley song starts playing in the bar and every single one of them starts pretending as if they're smoking weed.

I got kinda pissed, although i didn't show it. When will people learn, that Reggae music isn't about smoking weed nor is it intended to be listened to while under the influence of cannabis...

/rant
Quote by metaldud536
Drug thread.

did you even read what i wrote? Or are you just doing it for the 'cool points'?

clown.
because smoking weed was/is appreceicated by rastaferians. and reggae music was originated from the carribean, hich is also where rastafernianism originated
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
Quote by hyroglyph!c
because smoking weed was/is appreceicated by rastaferians. and reggae music was originated from the carribean, hich is also where rastafernianism originated

this
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
But doesn't it piss anyone else off when in the modern times...

''You said BOB MARLEY, zomg, lulz, whoaaa man, i'm so high *imiate smoking from a bong* craaaazy maaan.''
eek-a-mouse - Bitty bong bong!
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
Quote by zwound

''You said BOB MARLEY, zomg, lulz, whoaaa man, i'm so high *imiate smoking from a bong* craaaazy maaan.''

No, because most people don't act like complete morons about it. It seems the only ones that do are your friends.
<Omri> I love trannys too..
Quote by metaldud536
Yea I did it for the cool points. What then?

Them's is fighting words...
Because lets face it, everyone of bob marley's songs were written about weed, or written while high.

Maybe not all reggae artists smoke weed, but a good 95% of reggae is strongly related to smoking the good stuff.
Quote by hyroglyph!c

There's no such thing as rastafarianism. They're Rastafari. They don't believe in "isms."

But it's basically right.

Rastafari who are strongly related to Reggae music believe that using cannabis is a spiritual thing. Not all, but a good enough deal of them to give the impression it's all. So it's understandable to think that there's a connection. Can you think of a reggae group that isn't Rastafari?
Because reggae has the laid back groove, that makes people want to smoke a number. Plus, for rastafarians, smoking weed is a spiritual act, and rastafarians made reggae music. What exactly are you complaining about?
Quote by iRockMetal
Because lets face it, everyone of bob marley's songs were written about weed, or written while high.

Maybe not all reggae artists smoke weed, but a good 95% of reggae is strongly related to smoking the good stuff.

yup. but then again most modern music was written under the influence of some sort of drug, reggae just happens to favor the cannabis.

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Quote by paranoideyes
because when your stoned, reggae is 10x better.

this
TS, you're basically making a big deal out of nothing.

//---\\

Bridge. Get over it.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by paranoideyes
because when your stoned, reggae is 10x better.

In complete fairness, though, so is everything else.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by hyroglyph!c

This man is right.

EDIT: I just re-read the original post.. Why were they pretending? Why not get some real weed and smoke it ?
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
Quote by frusciante_50
Because reggae has the laid back groove, that makes people want to smoke a number. Plus, for rastafarians, smoking weed is a spiritual act, and rastafarians made reggae music. What exactly are you complaining about?

I'm just complaining about the fact that about maybe 10% or less songs are actually ABOUT weed. The main message in reggae is peace, harmony, Caribbean unity and religion. As i listen to quite a bit of reggae myself i just feel it's ignorant to think that 'It's all about weed' and that's the only message of the music. Well, that's what the public really seems to think, nowadays.
similar story

some kid at my school wore a bob marley shirt and this asshole potsmoker got all pissed and was like "why the **** is he wearing that shirt? hes never smoked weed in his life"
i wanted to be like "bob marley was a musician first, and a potsmoker second you ignorant ****tard!"
but he could probly kick my ass so i didnt say anything
Quote by djmay71
OMG

eddievh2, you are a genuis, and true man of action

damn right

Quote by Zugunruhe

or else, how good are you at drawing penises?

lulz
People think of cannabis when they think of reggae because reggae is identified with Rastafarianism, of which many practitioners (including many of the most famous reggae musicians) regard marijuana as a source of wisdom. The reggae-cannabis thing isn't going away for a long time.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by zwound
I'm just complaining about the fact that about maybe 10% or less songs are actually ABOUT weed. The main message in reggae is peace, harmony, Caribbean unity and religion. As i listen to quite a bit of reggae myself i just feel it's ignorant to think that 'It's all about weed' and that's the only message of the music. Well, that's what the public really seems to think, nowadays.

I don't think that, just any time we smoke we usually play some Marley. Some nice chill music to smoke to. Then again we also smoke to Dream Theater, Pink Floyd, and Jimi Hendrix on occasion.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
if you did it because its about weed you'd mime shooting up heroin for every motley crue song,
buts serously, don't bitch so much
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Well, I can see why people associate weed with reggae, due to songs like easy skanking And I have to say, whenever I blaze up, reggae is just about the best thing in the world to listen to because of the really cool chilled out vibe that it has.

Although I still think that it's pretty damned stupid that people just think "weed" as soon as they hear reggae, in the same way that people associate gun crime with rap, and don't try and look past that into what the songs are actually about.

Peace out dudes...
Reggae and weed do have a lot in common though.

Still I like reggae and I'm not a stoner. You would've thought Stoner Rock would be the more official genre...
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Are you joking? I don't know anyone who listens to Bob Marley and isn't a stoner. IMO that's a really stupid thing to get pissed off about. Sure, your friends are being stupid about it, but the connection they are making is quite common and understandable.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
People don't do this only to reggae music, people often do this to minimal, house, psychadelic and Pink Floyd.

EDIT: I mean, TS, that's like saying that all AC/DC listeners drink beer. it's just the way it is.

We need a voting system on people's profiles. You know, like on Youtube comments? Give a person a thumbs up or down, thus being able to judge his popularity by it.
Quote by an epic mistake
yup. but then again most modern music was written under the influence of some sort of drug, reggae just happens to favor the cannabis.

Don't speak so much sh*t.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by an epic mistake

Christian music, for one. And Disney's music. I would just hate to have the Jonas Brothers share a needleful of Georgia brown and get HIV.
Owner of the Murder, She Wrote club
Quote by LP Addict
Quote by Vinyl_Master
Oh, finish the guitar, then spill whiskey and coffee on it. Lock in dank basement for several years, enjoy.

don't forget feces. i always get that on my axe somehow.
Quote by zwound

If I havn't gotten this wrong... didn't marley smoke pot quite a lot?
You like it
I could repeat everything that's been said but i won't. this thread alredy has about 6 applicable correct answers. Basically your friends are fannies.
Page 1 of 2