This is a question about putting my bass away for a long nap in storage. I have this old P-bass that I want to put it away and store it safley in the basement. I'm not sure of the year but it is very old and is like an antique to me so I don't want to be exposing it to the hazards of gigs right now. Is there any potential danger to keeping it in the basement for an extended period of time? like humidity or temperture difference (it's always 10 degrees cooler or warmer in the basement)? I took the strings off of it too and plan on keeping it in it's case.
You should have just loosened strings and still occasionally play it to keep it in good working order.
If you took off the strings you're gonna have some serious back bow when you take it out of storage.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by Victory2134
If you took off the strings you're gonna have some serious back bow when you take it out of storage.

So your saying I should just leave it de-tuned w/ the strings still on?
If there are no strings on the bass, the tension is normally on the neck will be gone and the neck will bend backwards which will cause some major warpage if you leave it like that for a long period of time. Just leave the strings on and maybe a little detuned, but not a lot.
Quote by Randy Bobandy
So your saying I should just leave it de-tuned w/ the strings still on?

That's the best way to do it.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
i made the mistake of this a while back with one of my old yamaha basses, i just put it up the loft and forgot about it. After a really hot summer in UK i pulled it back down and it was messed up... I mean i've learned now and they all stay downstairs man lol

but yea, loosen the strings and bring it up to play every now and again to bring back the magic