I've found a good deal on one and I want some second opinions before I buy it. All I have right now is a Roland micro cube. It's a good little practice amp, but its time to upgrade to something with more balls, possibly to gig with. Is the v18 a good amp?
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Depends on what she's on top of. If she's on top of my pizza I'm gonna have to scissor kick a bitch.

MY BUILD!
A damn good amp BUT it's a good blues amp. It's a clean channel amp. You said something with more balls and I'm not sure how you meant that. But don't get this amp if you are looking for lead. Great cleans though.
if the venues you'll play at have a PA system, 18w should be plenty.
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
^^ It is single channel, but it has a gain knob, so it should do classic rock very well, probably even hard rock or metal if you are ODing the power tubes with pregain cranked.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
na i love this amp no doubt and have used it on some clean recordings but it isn't a metal amp by any stretch. You can get it to metal with all the pedals and such but this amp isn't made for high gain.
I'm not really going to play much metal with it so that's okay.
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Depends on what she's on top of. If she's on top of my pizza I'm gonna have to scissor kick a bitch.

MY BUILD!
^^ I have never used it, but know that the amp has more a classic rock gain structure, and can do more than blues.... Its supose to be similar to the Peavey classic 30, and if it has close that much gain you can pull off hair metal with ease, when you crank that up it power tube OD they will get pretty overdriven, but I agree its not well suited for modren metal.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Yeah it has some gain and will do classic rock. I'm just saying that isn't where it shines. It's like a lot of high gain amps have clean channels on them but usually thats not what they are made for. I used this amp on recordings and loved it. I used a JSX for the lead channel and a 6505 on the overdubbed guitar.
Quote by Nitroduck
I'm not really going to play much metal with it so that's okay.

Then you should be fine. A second channel would have been nice but... If that is a concern the V33 would probably be better for you. If you're using a stomp box for OD, then the single channel is probably fine. I liked the amp a lot when I tried it. I play mostly clean and blues so there ya go.
What would be the differences tonally in the v18 and the v50. The v50 being class AB ahile the v18 is class A?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by solidsnake15
A damn good amp BUT it's a good blues amp. It's a clean channel amp. You said something with more balls and I'm not sure how you meant that. But don't get this amp if you are looking for lead. Great cleans though.

Wrong. Actually, if he gigs then he won't get any cleans.

Single channel=/= only cleans.
Quote by lbj273
What would be the differences tonally in the v18 and the v50. The v50 being class AB ahile the v18 is class A?

this won't help much as i don't remember what was said but I believe 50 is voiced differently?

Search on it and you'll find it from last night I bet.
I was thinking about getting this amp too, would a metal muff work on this amp?
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

Quote by (Metal)lica
I was thinking about getting this amp too, would a metal muff work on this amp?

ha i was just about to ask this
Yeah I'd really like to know because I'm looking for a tube with great cleans, although I was looking around $300 I cant argue with this price
Quote by Le_Bunny

v18 definatly has great cleans, btw if you look its not available till 9-05-08
so a solid state modeler would have better tone?
i've heard a valve king w/metal muff, and its BRUTAL. wouldn't the v18 be similar the same thing if i put higher gain tubes in it.
My Gear
-Dean ML Xt w/ Dimebuckers+Pearlygates. Tune-o-matic bridge
-Amp: Vypyr 75
style: Thrash,Melodic Death, Metalcore, Neoclassical Dark Wave,
this forum has told me time over time that the metal muff was meant for tube amps and sound bad on solid state tho, i did like the flextone tho
My Gear
-Dean ML Xt w/ Dimebuckers+Pearlygates. Tune-o-matic bridge
-Amp: Vypyr 75
style: Thrash,Melodic Death, Metalcore, Neoclassical Dark Wave,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
this won't help much as i don't remember what was said but I believe 50 is voiced differently?

Search on it and you'll find it from last night I bet.

The V18 and V33 run EL84's; the V50 runs 6l6's. I think it's the same preamp circuit, though. The V18 is a bit more spongy than both the V33 and the V50.

Anyway, I would get it for the price alone. Not many t00b amps can be had for soooo cheap.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Just get an OD. It will get heavy enough for Metallica. My V16 can (shameless plug) look in my profile for heavy clips. THe V16 and V18 are pretty much identical.

Nice clips...

*adds to gas list*

Whats the difference in the EL84 and the 6l6?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Last edited by lbj273 at Aug 19, 2008,
I just ordered my V18 from Musician's Fiend, yes they're back ordered and they don't expect to have them in stock again till 9/15/08. I'm more of a blues player and would like to know about a good replacement speaker for it since I've read that the stock Crate speaker leaves a lot to be desired. I was thinking an Eminence Patriot Red, White and Blues.
Im just wondering, is this amp low quality for low wat tubes, or is it just a great price?
Quote by Le_Bunny