Page 1 of 2
Its just come to my attention that i have a bass many people would kill/die for... but i have no amp for it..

I have a Stereo-output Rickenbacker 4001 from 1978. I'm currently using Ampeg SVX modelling software to record with it, but i'd prefer to have a real amp to put it through.

Here's the problem: I don't have a lot of money, and being a guitarist, i don't need to be able to gig with it. So what would be a good Practice/Recording amp for Bass?

I'd like it to be stereo, as in 2 channels with an input for each channel, with independant controls, as the way the bass works is one output is for the neck pickup/mono if you don't connect to the other jack, the other jack is bridge pickup only. But stereo isn't essential as it works in mono through the neck pickup output, its just that the output for the bridge pickup is a lot lower than that of the neck pickup as is typical for many older Rickenbackers. I know i can't expect an amp in the price range of about £150 to do the bass any real justice, but has anyone got any suggestions, as i have no idea about bass amps?

Hartke seems like quite a good budget brand, I recorded all my bass tracks on the music tech course i did at college for the last 2 years on a Hartke B60 and it seemed ok, but i really don't need 60 watts, at all, since i'm not a gigging bassist.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
Its just come to my attention that i have a bass many people would kill/die for... but i have no amp for it..

Wow, very unecessary. You seem to like to brag huh./

EDIT: you even like to highlight in your sig just to make sure everyone sees it

Feed my eyes, can you sew them shut?
Jesus christ, deny your maker
He who tries, will be wasted
Feed my eyes now youve sewn them shut
Quote by Leper Messiah

i wasn't intending to brag, i was actually highlighting how stupid i am not having a proper amp for it.
Rig Winter 2017:

Quote by Leper Messiah

He's got a '78 Ricky, I think he's perfectly entitled to a little bragging.

What I'd do is run the bridge pickup through one amp (possibly a guitar amp) and have most of my effects on that signal and then send the neck pickup through a bass amp with a clean/relatively clean signal.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
He's got a '78 Ricky, I think he's perfectly entitled to a little bragging.

What I'd do is run the bridge pickup through one amp (possibly a guitar amp) and have most of my effects on that signal and then send the neck pickup through a bass amp with a clean/relatively clean signal.

yeah, i've tried that but i was worried about messing up my laney - but the bridge pickup is pretty bright sounding, without much low end.

what i want is suggestions for bass amps around the £150 range. I should be able to afford one pretty soon, for that price. Doesn't have to be high wattage.
Rig Winter 2017:

I would go for an Ashdown Electric Blue with a 15" speaker.

EDIT: Those VC30s are fantastic amps, my brother has one and I tried bi-amping my bass through it, it sounded great!
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by Blompcube
but i really don't need 60 watts, at all, since i'm not a gigging bassist.

60 watts isn't nearly enough to gig with, so you should be fine with something around that range.
Last edited by hippiebass at Aug 19, 2008,
Quote by hippiebass
60 watts isn't nearly enough to gig with.

thats ok, since i'm pretty sure i don't even need that much because i'm a guitarist. I just need a reasonably good, low wattage bass amp for recording purposes because the amplitube/ampeg software isn't doing it for me.

edit: ah right you edited - it did seem a bit of a random thing to say
Rig Winter 2017:

Sorry to go a little off topic, but can I ask how the hell you managed to get a hold of such a beautiful (and expensive) bass guitar despite being a guitar player with "not alot of money"?

I suppose if you bought it, you would have very little money left over, but it still seems a tad crazy.
Anyway, I hope you enjoy your new ricky .
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Pictures or it doesn't exist. Actually I just want another Ricky pic to fuel more GAS.

I agree with Max (Indie-Bassist) and Mescalino that would sound heavenly through an Ashdown.
Quote by anarkee

I agree with Max (Indie-Bassist) that would sound heavenly through an Ashdown.

Didn't i say that too?
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Quote by wouldyakindly
Sorry to go a little off topic, but can I ask how the hell you managed to get a hold of such a beautiful (and expensive) bass guitar despite being a guitar player with "not alot of money"?

I suppose if you bought it, you would have very little money left over, but it still seems a tad crazy.
Anyway, I hope you enjoy your new ricky .

It was hidden away in a cupboard in my bedroom my whole life and i didn't know it was there until i was 15. Its my dads really. Theres no way i'd ever have been able to get my hands on one otherwise. If i was buying a bass for THAT much, i'd probably just get a MIM fender jazz bass and a more expensive amp.

@anarkee: pics on my profile, in the gear section. Its one of the few instruments i actually have pictures of.

I like the look of the ashdown and I know i have an ashdown dealer locally, however they only seem to stock the bass FX. Although since i know very little about bass amps, would it be safe to just blindly buy a bass amp off the net?
Rig Winter 2017:

Quote by Mescalino
Didn't i say that too?

Fixed

Oh man, that was the fireglo one in the Show off your bass thread. If I fix your strings, will you let me play it sometime? Please?

I love Rics, but everytime one has come up for sale at the consignment shop, I've been rather low on cash.
Quote by Blompcube
It was hidden away in a cupboard in my bedroom my whole life and i didn't know it was there until i was 15. Its my dads really. Theres no way i'd ever have been able to get my hands on one otherwise. If i was buying a bass for THAT much, i'd probably just get a MIM fender jazz bass and a more expensive amp.

@anarkee: pics on my profile, in the gear section. Its one of the few instruments i actually have pictures of.

I like the look of the ashdown and I know i have an ashdown dealer locally, however they only seem to stock the bass FX. Although since i know very little about bass amps, would it be safe to just blindly buy a bass amp off the net?

Well you're pretty much assured a decent, or at least passable, sound from an ashdown. However it's always better to try stuff out first, so if you can have a go on one, make sure you do.

Congratulations on your luck by the way, but make sure you practice until you feel like you've earnt that bass.

Funny old world eh.
Affordable = Peavey! Peavey! Peavey!

I got a Peavey Max 450 head off Ebay for £100 (it's only 450w if you run into 2ohms, and around 300 into 4 ohms) And a cheap Ashdown 115 off the bay for around 70 (not such a fantastic deal compared to the Peavey, since I had to pay another £20 for it to be sent to me)

So look for the old "Made in USA" Peavey stuff, they are very cheap. There is also older Trace Elliot stuff that can be had for very cheap. You could easily get a decent sized and decent sounding combo for around £150. The old Trace stuff is made in the UK, and is supposedly better made too.

EDIT: You're not a gigging bassist, but I still wouldn't recommend playing that Ric through a tiny practise combo though. The same way you wouldn't play that 50s Les Paul through a Marshall MG.
Last edited by thedonutman at Aug 19, 2008,
Hartke is a good way to go. I have a 350 Watt 4x10 w/ tweeter that is very solid and I think it was only like 400-450
very good sounding amp.
Acoustic is my say.
150 USD for a 50 watt amp with really good sound? yeah!!!!

few bass amps at that wattage have that much air and clarity. and, it has dual inputs, so f you wanna jam, just plug the other bass or guitar right there next to you.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
You'd be far better off shifting the Ric and getting a sensible bass and a decent amp and keeping the change.
he seems rather proud to have such a heavily GASed bass, however.

that is however, an option.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
he seems rather proud to have such a heavily GASed bass, however.

that is however, an option.
Well at the moment it's like having a Ferrari with no engine but he's thinking of getting a lawnmower motor put in. It's that level of stupid.
I don't think it's quite that stupid, considering he isn't gonna be playing any shows.

but you could definitely get some nice gear with that sale.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I don't think you realize how happy you'd make another bass player and how rich the said bass player would make you.

Looking at your gear list, that Ric is miles above anything else on there, and is arguably the only 'real' instrument you have. It's in a totally different league compared to your other axes!

I know I'm selling my US Deluxe Strat to my guitar player. A nice axe, but I'm a bass player.

Do yourself and someone else a favour - ditch the Ric and get that axe of your dreams.

Unless it's some sort of heirloom. Then don't mind me.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Wicked_Bassist7
haha u got pwned by the first poster

Completely worthless post, but your band is pretty awesome.

Do what thefitz said.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Sounds like a story of wasted potential. Your not a bassist, so sell the thing for $4,000 then buy a ****ty starter bass/amp pack since you wont use it live and just pocket the rest of the money.
what ever you do dont listen to anyone

keep the bass, its awesome and people would die for it!!!

and yeah ashdown seems like a good option but make sure you try it first

besides you never know, you could turn to the bass side one day and regret selling the Ric

only sell if you have financial problems
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Sonsie Ftw

And Let you're bassists Jam on that thing!

be nice with it!

Don't sell it unless you absolutely NEED to!

These guys just want it.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Look at your position. Are you in a position to sell it? If it's your dad's "memory from a better time" or what have you, maybe he wouldn't appreciate you selling it. If he really couldn't give two ****s about it then I say sell the Ferrari and buy a nice little Toyota or something. There's two reasons that you should do it, the first money! The second, you can make someone incredibly happy to own a very rare, very nice bass, whereas I'm betting you don't appreciate it to it's full value. I would suggest finding someone you know personally to sell to or at least get to know them before you sell it. Then you know it's going to played well and not just going to some nameless, faceless collector.

That's my two cents.
Quote by anarkee

I love Rics, but everytime one has come up for sale at the consignment shop, I've been rather low on cash.

/me Urges Tam to reconsider buying a Rickenbacker...
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Quote by bassmanjoe08
/me Urges Tam to reconsider buying a Rickenbacker...

Lol. Nah, I'll get more use out of the Urge II than a Rick. Though I played this baby yesterday in the shop. The owner was willing to go down to 1900 USD on it.

http://www.gbase.com/Powered/GearDetails.aspx?Dealer=ff5f0242-59c9-4992-9299-18e28f850b31&Item=1630787
I find the concept of people "deserving" a certain instrument somewhat ridiculous. Eg. If you're a successful lawyer and buy mint condition 50s Fenders with your huge disposable income just to look at them, that's fine by me, Your money, do what you want with it. The bass doesn't make a good player.

I know lots of people who are better players than me and have worse gear, and I also know people who are absolutely crap and have 5+ custom guitars/basses. I obviously think it's unfair, but I accept it because they must have done something to get them, even if it may have been being in the right the place at the right time.

By the same logic of you owning something that you don't use as well as someone else you could say that if you don't cook, you should sell all your pans because you "deserve" them? Or you should sell your nice car and buy a old beaten up one because your not Michael Shumaker.

/rant. feel free to flame me. Just my opinion, and it's not directed at anyone in particular.
Quote by thedonutman
I find the concept of people "deserving" a certain instrument somewhat ridiculous. Eg. If you're a successful lawyer and buy mint condition 50s Fenders with your huge disposable income just to look at them, that's fine by me, Your money, do what you want with it. The bass doesn't make a good player.

I know lots of people who are better players than me and have worse gear, and I also know people who are absolutely crap and have 5+ custom guitars/basses. I obviously think it's unfair, but I accept it because they must have done something to get them, even if it may have been being in the right the place at the right time.

By the same logic of you owning something that you don't use as well as someone else you could say that if you don't cook, you should sell all your pans because you "deserve" them? Or you should sell your nice car and buy a old beaten up one because your not Michael Shumaker.

/rant. feel free to flame me. Just my opinion, and it's not directed at anyone in particular.

You make a fair point, but when i said he should feel like he deserved the bass, it was more advice than jealousy. the way TC is going to get the most enjoyment out of his bass is obviously by playing it and discovering for himself just what makes it such a cut above other basses. This reward alone makes it worth it to practice and improve his bass guitar skills.

Funny old world eh.
Quote by thedonutman

All of your points are true. But personally I'd rather not own a Ferrari. Why? Well for one, they're ****ing expensive to run. But also, is the fact that I don't really appreciate a car like that. I'd rather someone who would enjoy the car to it's full potential own it, rather than me driving it to the grocery store on Wednesdays. I'm not saying I deserve the car any less than Michael Shumaker, but he would enjoy it a whole helluva lot more than I would.

It's the same with this bass. I would do exactly what I said if it was an amazing, rare guitar that I found my dad owned. If he didn't really care about it at all, I would pass it on to someone who would get some decent use out of it, especially if I knew I wasn't going to use it that much. Of course I would also make out like a bandit and buy hordes of new bass gear. Oh, and maybe I'd buy my dad some shaving cream or something.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
If he didn't really care about it at all, I would pass it on to someone who would get some decent use out of it, especially if I knew I wasn't going to use it that much. Of course I would also make out like a bandit and buy hordes of new bass gear. Oh, and maybe I'd buy my dad some shaving cream or something.

When has the TC said that? He wanted an amp for it, thus obviously he's going to use it. Or do you think he'll get the amp and hide it in the cupboard too, just so "real bassists" have one less amp that they can enjoy.

Funny old world eh.
Quote by blompcube
being a guitarist, i don't need to be able to gig with it.

That to me implies he's going to mainly use it for recording purposes, something he could do without a rickenbacker. Especially if it's through a $300 amp that won't even let the bass sound as it should. That's just what I inferred from his post anyway.
Ok this thread has pretty much turned into a stupid argument about whether i should sell it or not. For those of you who have been helpful, thanks, and to those of you who just want to tell me to get rid of it:

NO.

In case you hadn't noticed, its the amplifier that i don't need to use for gigs. The bass itself is usually used by other bassists in any bands i'm in, through their own amps.

also, just because i'm a guitarist, doesn't mean i can't play bass - i can play both guitar and bass equally well.
Rig Winter 2017:

Last edited by Blompcube at Aug 21, 2008,
Hey, you leave a thread for two days, this is what happens. You aren't particularly clear in your first post, this is what happens. At any rate, this is a "thread"! It's not an "answer the first question and then leave" thing. The whole pint off these is to go wherever the conversation takes us, just like a regular conversation. We got onto the topic of selling it and that's where we went. Big deal. That encompasses everything good and wholesome on this little corner of forum. Sorry if we didn't march to the beat of your little drum.

At any rate, a good amp is an Ashdown.
Page 1 of 2