so i've got an empty room in my basement, and i was thinking about moving my computer and stuff into it and using it for doing recordings for my band. my question is, what are some cheap ways to soundproof the room, or at least bring the noise level down so my family dosent get pissed?
I heard something about lining the walls with egg boxes...
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Everyone is trying a comeback now. Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage, and now bin Laden? Come on. Give it a rest..

haha
the egg crate style mattress pads work really well. carpet is a must have.

*i'm too awesome for a sig
Yes my friend has lined up his walls with egg boxes and it's a cheap alternative indeed. It's obviously not better than soundproofing mats but it can get the job done!
"Well aren't we doomed in this beautiful day"
you can hang thick blankets or curtains on the walls.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Egg cartons are cool. But it takes A LOT of them. They work wonderfully. But really....you need like three layers if you're planning on playing at any volume, and that's a lot of egg cartons.

I had one layer in my basement for a while, and it cuts out some of the sound, but it doens't work when you have a full band in the room. I'm assuming 3 would work better.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Yeah egg boxes will work fairly well, I know someone who covered the whole inside of a shed with them and it seemed to work.

Basically you need a soft porous material, as this will stop sound waves from rebounding off the walls and will have a large surface area without taking up lots of room.

One of the best soultions is what actual recoding studios often use - sponge.
inch thick foam sheets on the walls and roof, carpet or rugs on the floor, shouldn't be too much cash
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Can you use those foam pads you put on beds? If so you can use those.
██████████████████████████████
Egg cartons can work.

Egg cartons can work.

Egg cartons can work.

if you do it right.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Ive heard people use slot together foam mats used for wrestiling and martial arts, theyre pretty cheap from the right places and seem to work well
You can rest when you're dead.

User of
Schecter Guitars
Blackstar Amps
MXR Effects
I'd also like to know. If anyone has any experience soundproofing a room, speak up.
Schecter C-1 XXX (with SD Dave Mustaine Livewire Actives)
Roland Cube 60
Quote by dhoyft
I'd also like to know. If anyone has any experience soundproofing a room, speak up.

You need something to throw the sound waves, so anything textured (Mattress Foam, Egg Cartons) will work. Coat the walls with them. However, if you can afford it, build a smaller room within the room, and then sound proof that. That's for true sound isolation.