Well, I had a problem with this a while ago, I asked UG, and nobody pointed me in the right direction (no offence to anyone!). Perhaps I didn't properly explain my problem, I don't know. Just thought I'd inform anyone whom might face the same problem.

My tone was horribly harsh and thin, with way too much mids, treble and way too little bass. Maxing up the bass on the amp only resulted in a very loose and muddy tone. I tried several different guitars, pickups and tweaked around infinitely. I also tried with delay to smoothen the tone, tubescreamer to fatten it up, and none of them worked at all. No matter what I did, my tone remained utter crap, especially for soloing.

Now bear in mind, I was using a Marshall 1922 2x12 cabinet at that time. For those who might not know, that cabinet is very shallow and has 2 Celestion G12H-75s.

A week ago, I found a guy who was selling his custom made 4x12 cabinet with 2 swamp thangs and 2 texas heats. I dragged my amp along to test it out, and I was totally blown away. I bought the cabinet immediately.

Now my tone is so much smoother, all the harshness is gone, playing loud is much more comfortable to my ears and the low end is amazing. Changing the cabinet simply radically changed my tone and turned my world upside down.

For anyone who thinks about buying a new amp head without considering the cabinet. It makes a huge difference.
Just had a similiar result this weekend. I was happy with my tone but not blown away by it so I finally got to test out my head on a different cab and it blew me away. So I re-wired the cab and bingo that was the issue. The G12T-75s were killing my tone even though they were blended with Classic 80's it was still over powering the mix. So now my tone has improved ten fold with the re-wire. Ultra gets the lead 80's and Valveking gets the G12T-75s and its a whole lot better..

And congrats
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Aug 19, 2008,
Try a different cab.
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
I had the exact same problem as you with the exact same amp and cabinet.

Then I switched out the stock tubes with some 9th gen Chinese tubes and cranked the volume up to 3.5 and now I can't believe how amazing it sounds.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Congrats, TS. You learned an import lesson: tone is a stew, and every ingrediant matters.

Glad to hear TS. Apparently the 6505 + Marshall Cab combo is dying out. Seeing a lot more people with G-Flexs or Vaders.
If a 6505 is sounding thin and harsh, its either something is broke with the amp or your cab sucks.

Grats on finding your tone though.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD Viper-400
Jackson RR3
Gibson SG Voodoo
Washburn Acoustic

Peavey 6505 head.
Marshall JCM200 TSL100 head.
Vader 4x12.

Maxon OD9.
Boss NS-2.
i had a marshall 1960a/b stack with a jcm800 and loved it..well for a few years anyway,..then i fell in love with a peavey xxx head..sold the jcm800 but kept the cabs,..i thought it was a good combo...but then i started to get annoyed with it..(the buzz and fizz)
i thought i was just having a case of "amp-bordeom"..(ya know when the amp new-ness wears off and you get tired of your sound)...so i started looking for a new amp...i really like the 5150 (3),...but before i took the big plunge i decided to try out some new cabs first,..my first choice was a genz benz g-flex..from what i had read i thought it would be perfect,...it wasnt,...but i tried a mode four cab !!...i almost bought it..but i instead tried every cab i could find,...i drug my amp and guitar with me and plugged into a mesa recto cab...(v-30's)...huge difference...the results were better than i dared to hope for!!

i am no longer in the market for a new head,..i have had the recto cabs for 6 weeks now and still have a big smile on my face every time i turn it on!

excellent post.
Im considering buying a 412 for better bass. I have the same problem. Way to middy and treble. My genz benz is much better than a lot of 2x12's ive tried, but id like to also see if a 412 makes the difference.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by maggot2011

Glad to hear TS. Apparently the 6505 + Marshall Cab combo is dying out. Seeing a lot more people with G-Flexs or Vaders.

Not true. Its just 6505 + G12T75 that sucks. 6505 + 1960 AC or AV = killer tone.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by jessexxx
i had a marshall 1960a/b stack with a jcm800 and loved it..well for a few years anyway,..then i fell in love with a peavey xxx head..sold the jcm800 but kept the cabs,..i thought it was a good combo...but then i started to get annoyed with it..(the buzz and fizz)
i thought i was just having a case of "amp-bordeom"..(ya know when the amp new-ness wears off and you get tired of your sound)...so i started looking for a new amp...i really like the 5150 (3),...but before i took the big plunge i decided to try out some new cabs first,..my first choice was a genz benz g-flex..from what i had read i thought it would be perfect,...it wasnt,...but i tried a mode four cab !!...i almost bought it..but i instead tried every cab i could find,...i drug my amp and guitar with me and plugged into a mesa recto cab...(v-30's)...huge difference...the results were better than i dared to hope for!!

i am no longer in the market for a new head,..i have had the recto cabs for 6 weeks now and still have a big smile on my face every time i turn it on!

excellent post.

+1

Thats pretty much exactly what I went trough...
Quote by LP_CL
Not true. Its just 6505 + G12T75 that sucks. 6505 + 1960 AC or AV = killer tone.

My apologies. Just stating what I've seen. I've only gotten to try the 6505+ with the stock cab which I hear is pretty crap but it still got an amazing tone I can't get over. It's the amp I want >.<!