hi,

i'm playing the guitar for a while now, i have a decent amp and a good guitar, now i would like to start a guitar rack, i've heard a lot about and to say the least i'm a little confused.
Where do you start? i've heard about pre-amps, poweramp and effect amps, what do you really need to get started?
And is it so much better then just an amp and some groundpedals?
is there annything i should know and what are the best brands?
help me out here please.

grtz
Depends what you want from it, if your happy with your tone you might only need things like tuners, compressors, noise gates, wireless trans etc. Maybe you want some extra effects, so you might want to invest in multi effect units (TC electronic for example). But if you want to change your raw tone, then you should be looking at preamps and poweramps, but as you say you have a decent amp, i assume you covered there. Just have a think when your playing 'what could i do with having right now'.
Quote by vitchb
Depends what you want from it, if your happy with your tone you might only need things like tuners, compressors, noise gates, wireless trans etc. Maybe you want some extra effects, so you might want to invest in multi effect units (TC electronic for example). But if you want to change your raw tone, then you should be looking at preamps and poweramps, but as you say you have a decent amp, i assume you covered there. Just have a think when your playing 'what could i do with having right now'.

yes, i have bought some effect pedals (all electro harmonix) but it is really the raw tone i'd like to change, but what is the real funtion of poweramps and preamps?
and o yeah, i'm buying me a new 412 cabinet to so is there anything special i could do with that?
Quote by henis
yes, i have bought some effect pedals (all electro harmonix) but it is really the raw tone i'd like to change, but what is the real funtion of poweramps and preamps?
and o yeah, i'm buying me a new 412 cabinet to so is there anything special i could do with that?

Well preamps in conjunction with a power amp will do the same thing as an amp youd buy. The power amp will provide the power, but obviously some sound better than others, you can get good ones from the likes of Mesa/boogie and marshall. The preamp unit will provide and let you control your tones, and can get good stuff from ENGL, Mesa, rocktron.
A bacic set up would be your pre/power amp hooked up with a cabinet. Oh to answer your question, its just speakers really, other than changing speakers there isnt anything you can do to change the tone of the cab after you've bought it.

If you want to be more adventurous you could run your current amp along with another rack set up and run them in stereo, get a wider control over your tones.

If im wrong about anything, someone correct me
The reason touring guitarists use racks is because they're easy to transport, easy to setup and strike and far more tweakable to cope with the wildly differing acoustics of various large venues. If you're ridiculously wealthy then by all means splash out, or if you spend a lot of time on the road. Otherwise there's little to no point bothering.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
The reason touring guitarists use racks is because they're easy to transport, easy to setup and strike and far more tweakable to cope with the wildly differing acoustics of various large venues. If you're ridiculously wealthy then by all means splash out, or if you spend a lot of time on the road. Otherwise there's little to no point bothering.

Probably right, although saying that, i wouldnt mind it for the practical reasons, ie having everything in 1 box.
You can get some pretty unique sounds out of racks, too. Combining different preamps and poweramps.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by steven seagull

+1. Listen to Mark, or he will shat on you if you don't tour.
i use my rack gear for everything that i put into the effects loop....

heres what i have

power source/conditioner...(helps alot with grounding issues) mine is a furman with lights also.

alesis midi verb...(endless reverb possibilities,..make your own etc)

korg tuner,..( the indicator lights are big enough to see from anywhere on the stage)

alesis graphic equalizer,...(it's a dual channel and i ony use one channel)

i have a 2 space tool tray with drawers for picks,..tools,...strings...etc.

the quality of these components is better than pedals,..and the entire rack including the rack cost me under $500....(both alesis units were used)

at some point i am going to get a isp decimator "g"

good luck
Quote by jessexxx
i use my rack gear for everything that i put into the effects loop....

heres what i have

alesis graphic equalizer,...(it's a dual channel and i ony use one channel)

good luck

Can i ask, with a wide freqency range from those units, how many bands are actully useful for guitar?
Quote by vitchb
Can i ask, with a wide freqency range from those units, how many bands are actully useful for guitar?

all of them!!

it's a great way to shape your sound,..but i try to keep from adding any boost to the effects loop signal,..(so instead of putting something at +10 db i will go to +5 db's and take away from something else..-5db's)... to me it's a fine tuning tool...but it's also a tool that is hard to live with out once you have it.

i paid $60. for it and like i mentioned earlier the quality is much better.

try one out sometime...i think you'll be impressed.
Quote by jessexxx
all of them!!

it's a great way to shape your sound,..but i try to keep from adding any boost to the effects loop signal,..(so instead of putting something at +10 db i will go to +5 db's and take away from something else..-5db's)... to me it's a fine tuning tool...but it's also a tool that is hard to live with out once you have it.

i paid $60. for it and like i mentioned earlier the quality is much better.

try one out sometime...i think you'll be impressed.

Are you using the digital one? And do you think it would a better tool than say a MXR 10 band?
Quote by vitchb
Are you using the digital one? And do you think it would a better tool than say a MXR 10 band?

the mxr would be good for putting in front your amp..if thats what you wanted to accomplish...but as far as putting it in the loop...the alesis is far better (imho)

hope this helps